New Layout for LASM

Those backdrops are going to make a world of difference on the layout. Like it. Thumb up.gif

Yes I also purchased all my photo backdrops from Backdrop Warehouse. They are nice high quality thick vinyl sheets they print on.

I need to order a new snow scene backdrop for my new layout.

How do you think those backdrops would look as a window covering ? I tried using a 3d map but it did not look good with the light coming through from behind.

I don't they would look good covering a window. They are meant to be mounted attached top bottom sides also attached in the middle.

Rubber cement is most recommended method, although paste can be used as well.

Mount them on a removable piece of Masonite, you're going to have a joint of some sort either way. Or use a back drop that has low profile scenery.

I made a little progress on the layout over the long weekend, (pic's) I am getting ready to pour water into this basin and decided to fashion a sort of "dam" to hold it from running off the layout. There are culverts under the track, I could have gone with a bigger structure but settled on a series of smaller ones:

baldwin, backdrop 002.jpg

Getting the final touches done prepping my backdrop frame, I added sheet rock mud to the joints, screw holes, and transition to the rounded inside corners of the masonite framework:

baldwin, backdrop 003.jpg

Also, one pic of my New Bowser Baldwin S-12 locomotives, some super details:

baldwin, backdrop 001.jpg

Like the frame for the backdrop. Should really make a difference when you get the backdrop installed. The S-12 really looks nice. Is the grill an etching?

Thanks Steve, Chet; I don't know how long it is going to take for them to ship, in the meantime I am getting everything ready so when it does arrive it can go up all at once.

The entire finished project will take more time because I am going to add the scenery 8" along one side and 2 or 4" along the back and will have to do some plastering and stuff there.

Looking forward to the transformation. I wouldn't worry about the older buildings at all. I have been to small towns around not only Montana, but in other states with turn of the century still in use. They look fine.

Well done David,

Happy New Year to you and your family
The backdrop will definitely bring out your layout.
Will you be removing the backdrop to install the picture on it or you're going to install it as is?
That's what I'm debating.

Thanks Tony, Lloyd, and Happy New Year to you as well! I poured "envirotex lite" water this weekend and snapped some pics:

water, white pines 010.jpg

Go back a few pages (post 627) and you will se the "before". I made a small "dam" to keep the stuff from falling off the table.

water, white pines 012.jpg

water, white pines 014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LASM, very realistic work! Had there been a backdrop there, one could easily think it was 1/1 scale instead of HO.

THANKS guys, the envirotex was really easy but fussy!

The temp of the room and bottles of fluid had to be within a certain range so I had to warm up the room and also gently warm the liquids. Once everything was right, however, it only took a few minutes to stir mix and apply.

Back