New Layout Critique

HO Layout 1 2018-02-08.png

Here is my first attempt at designing an HO layout. The overall dimensions are 11 ft long x 5 ft wide with a 1 ft x 2 ft spur. The layout was created using SCARM software. Any suggestions or changes will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike already asked my first question. Reach is a factor that many first-timers forget to take into consideration. Secondly, I would eliminate those two crossings in the lower portion and connect directly into the inner loop, too congested otherwise. Third, extend those three yard tracks all the way to the bottom left corner. Fourth, what are you intending to do with those two large blank areas within the loops?

Willie

Here is my first attempt at designing an HO layout. The overall dimensions are 11 ft long x 5 ft wide with a 1 ft x 2 ft spur. Any suggestions or changes will be greatly appreciated.
1. To my eye those turnouts look like "snap-switches" (Atlas part #850 & #851). Are they? Snap-switches are very tight if one plans on running any long equipment or large locomotives. The custom line #4 would be a better choice. What sort of loco's are you planning on using?
2. The curve of the three tracks inside the loop to the right will not be very useful. Cars don't like to couple and uncouple on curves.
traingeek.png
3. Is there a specific reason for wanting the two tracks cutting through the center like that? As a prior poster was alluding to, they really limit what can be done with the center of the loop.
4. Is the purpose of the layout to have two orbiting trains to watch, with the front tracks for storage of alternate trains, or is the front set of tracks intended to be a working yard?

I would agree with Iron Horseman and strongly suggest if you have used Snap Switches, not to. They have plastic frogs (or, at least they did when I used them) in addition to that fact, they have very tight radius, per Iron Horseman's reasons. The plastic frogs may not be an issue; but, the possibility exists that you might eventually wish you had used metal frogs so they could be electrified. You have also built in two reversing loops into the layout you show. You will need to learn how to wire them. Are you going to run DC or DCC? What era do you have an interest in?

No, only the left end and bottom side attached to the spur. I feel I will be able to reach the back side since I an 6'-2" tall.

Not meaning to be negative here, but reach and workability are two different things. Reaching 5' will mean laying on top of the layout, and that upper right corner is a lot farther than that. A lot also depends on how high you make the layout.

Willie

My last layout had a 4'X4" tables on each end. The back tracks were very hard to reach (if not impossible) without damaging scenery if not careful. I don't know if you got a topside creeper, it might gain you some reach over and above what you would normally have.

Thank you for your input. Being new to the hobby, I am planning to use remote control switches, and did not know about the snap-switches.
I have a 2-4-2 loco, an SD40 and some Push-Pull engines which someone gave me. They also gave me quite a lot of Atlas snap track code 100 brass track.
The reason for the two tracks cutting through the center were to serve as reversing loops. Maybe I went a little overboard.
The front tracks are to be a working yard.

Mark, To begin I plan to run DC. The era will be 70s-80s since I was given a 2-4-2 engine and some diesel engines with about 40 various cars.

Back