New Indoor N Scale

Horseman,

Thanks mate and now you mention it, it is similar to the shed layout. Frankly, I have spent the last day or so trying to come up with other ideas BUT always gravitate back to this plan. I know it isn't perfect but think it will do the job.

With that being said, is there anything you would change, add or delete from it? Do the small yards/sidings look okay?

Here is a 3D look at it:

N%20Scale%20Layout%203D_zpstvjbnoob.png

I'll take a couple more screenies of the 3D views so you can see or tell me if there is likely to be a problem area.

Looks good Tony. The added space does give you more options, but I will admit that I did like what you did with your earlier plan given the limited space you had. You'll easily have room for an additional town with the space you now have. I'm sure that you'll be tweaking on it.

Thanks Chet and yep tweaking is almost a must where I am concerned, although some would call my tweaking "rebuilding" :)

Here are some more 3D shots to give the whole thing perspective:

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-26-001_zps5lecisaz.png

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-26-003_zpsoxchpev1.png

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-26-006_zpsnwscrfu7.png

So now, before anyone says it, I see a couple of problems namely:

Reach ????
The rear outside track being buried behind the front tracks

I really want to find a way of raising some of the track levels OR lowering some to create more vertical depth (literally). All but one joining track (yard to yard) is 2.0% I am thinking about taking that up to 2.5% which I think is acceptable - hell, I dunno maybe I'll do what all great geniuses do ... fudge it! :rolleyes::cool:

With that being said, is there anything you would change, add or delete from it? Do the small yards/sidings look okay?
You probably know me by now, I would always add more industries.

Upon closer inspection and analysis, the only thing I don't like is how the interchange track zig-zags (I guess reverse "S"es would be a better term) through the main yard. Unfortunately I don't see much of an easy way to fix it. My first thought was to go to double or single slip turnouts, but while that would make the track straight through the yard, it would also increase (double?) the number of points a train has to navigate therefore increasing the chances for derailment. But I suppose a train going through there is moving at yard speed anyway, so it might not be an issue at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horseman,

Hmm, I see your point - I'll take another look at that and see if I can't get it on a straighter run through the main yard. As for the industry, there's a lot of open space to play with as I haven't decided on where what will go at the moment, all I am almost certain of is the main town will be adjacent to the main yard :)

Horseman,

Think I have found a fix, albeit not all that realistic - it does work and gives the connecting line a straight run through the bottom of the yard:

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-26-007_zpstlot5mmb.png

Both the plans look very similar in parts to a cross between the layouts called "Cascade, WA" (MRR Octover 2000), and "Fox River RR" (MRR June 2005). Looking good!!

Tony, I don't see any curved turnouts in there - have you considered using them? They could provide more track for storing longer strings of cars, as well as make some of the curves less abrupt. I use several on my own layout and they really do make quite a difference. [I'll post some track diagrams later on when I'm at home, can't do it from my work computer.]

[LATER EDIT:] Never mind - I see you have one in your latest modification (these old eyes don't spot things as quick as they once did...!)

Both the plans look very similar in parts to a cross between the layouts called "Cascade, WA" (MRR Octover 2000), and "Fox River RR" (MRR June 2005). Looking good!!

Thanks mate and if mine does look like the ones you have referenced then that is purely coincidental as I have never seen either of the layouts you mentioned; however, if mine does look similar to the ones you refer to then I must be doing something right, some where, some how :)

Tony, I don't see any curved turnouts in there - have you considered using them? They could provide more track for storing longer strings of cars, as well as make some of the curves less abrupt. I use several on my own layout and they really do make quite a difference. [I'll post some track diagrams later on when I'm at home, can't do it from my work computer.]

[LATER EDIT:] Never mind - I see you have one in your latest modification (these old eyes don't spot things as quick as they once did...!)

Ken,

Yep I do have one on the layout BUT have noted your thoughts and will take a look at other places I might be able to use curved turnouts instead of regular ones. Or, as you use them a lot, I would be interested to see where you might them as well.

Scott,

Thank you, I think it will look good and will offer some interest. As Horseman pointed out, it is similar in design to my Shed Layout but with more track and a more operable design, I think.

So, I have been looking at the track plan and making a few small adjustments, adding a little more track and changing out a turnout for a smoother larger radius approach into the "main yard area from the left". The changes are in yellow.

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-28-008_zpsw6p3vajc.png

As it stands now, there is 133.5' of track in total with the main lines being 43.23' (Blue) and 43.64' (Green) respectively. I don't know about anyone else but I think I am pretty much at the maximum amount of track work without making it "cluttered". Of course I haven't calculated any industry for the layout that may require more spurs etc. and is something I may need to think about.

Needless to say, I like this plan so far BUT am keen to see it put together so I can see exactly what space I have left real estate wise for towns and so forth. While I can measure the "open areas" it can be a bit deceptive in terms of real usable space when looking at it in 2D.

Any thoughts etc on this and/or any other changes you think might enhance/improve this plan?

Tony,

Here is what I was able to create in 90 minutes, with my crude graphic editing tool. I used the same radius curved turnouts as the one you already have, but in real-life you'll probably want to use broader ones.

TonysLayout20160727.jpg

I eliminated the two short stub tracks on the left [west] end and substituted curved turnouts that ease more gently into the yard. On the right [east] end, I swapped the bottom right-hand t/o for a left-hand one and slid the pair of them ~12" further to the right. In a nutshell, I was trying to eliminate the "staircase" pattern of zig-zagging crossovers going thru the yard while still providing access to the various tracks.

If only I'd had more time, I'd have bent both yard tracks downward and made it into a curved, double-ended yard (eliminating the need for that crossover in the middle). But hopefully you get the idea...

Ken thank you, and I tried getting what you suggested to work; however, there is a gradient issue. With the yard/s as they are the yard connecting track has a 3.1% grade that I can't lower. When I put in the 3 other tracks (as per your idea) I ended up with grades of 4.0% to almost 5.0%.

I'll keep playing with the idea and see if something can't be changed to accommodate your idea but at the moment that looks doubtful.

Ken thank you, and I tried getting what you suggested to work; however, there is a gradient issue. With the yard/s as they are the yard connecting track has a 3.1% grade that I can't lower. When I put in the 3 other tracks (as per your idea) I ended up with grades of 4.0% to almost 5.0%.

I'll keep playing with the idea and see if something can't be changed to accommodate your idea but at the moment that looks doubtful.

Yeah, I forgot they are all different levels. Oooops!

Looking at Ken's modification to the yard's left entry, I would suggest, in order to get that blue track up and over the double tracks, only connect it to the yard tracks by that leftmost turnout, moving that also as far to the left as possible, and start the grade from there.

Toot'n,

Thanks and yeah, I did have issues with radius using all 3 of Ken's thoughts for the western entries into the yard area, not including the main line. As such, I am only going to be using 2 of those entries for the bottom most yard track. Here are the changes that have been made and that keep my radii around 17" with grades at (or below) 2.0% and still gives me clearance across the double tracks:

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-29-001_zpstsy14zos.png

The only part of this I am not quite sure about is the curved turnout to the right of the yard on the main line, just before crossing the double track ... that is a little tight. The only reason that is it there is to allow west bound trains into the main yard. Without it only east bound trains can enter the yard and that doesn't seem realistic to me.

Morning All,

Have been playing around with other (similar) designs and came up with this one:

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-29-001_zpsusvilo0k.png

I think I like this plan better for a few reasons:

1. Only one portion of the track is going to be tough to reach from a standing position
2. The yards connect better
3. I no longer "hidden track" along the rear wall
4. I have a little more track in total (137.5' in total)
5. I now have 4 usable open area's
6. I have been able to incorporate a "good size" passing track
7. I now have more straight sections of track for freight trains

Thoughts, comments, opinions?

That looks pretty good, but it seems the only option for a counterclockwise train is to back it out of the yard onto the main.

Back