New HO Switching Layout

Again! Very Nice! Do you airbrush it or brush paint?

E,

I tried brushing them a ways back - but wasn't happy with the result. Sanded that off and used Liquitex spray paint. Its the same paint I've used for any custom work I've done. Its $$ but worth it. The finish is excellent. I'm spraying indoors on my workbench and using a fan to draft air away from the item being painted. Works well. Water based spray paint doesn't even smell that awful.

The railings were done by hand.

R

E,

I tried brushing them a ways back - but wasn't happy with the result. Sanded that off and used Liquitex spray paint. Its the same paint I've used for any custom work I've done. Its $$ but worth it. The finish is excellent. I'm spraying indoors on my workbench and using a fan to draft air away from the item being painted. Works well. Water based spray paint doesn't even smell that awful.

The railings were done by hand.

R

None the less - you appear to do some mighty fine work IMHO.
E

Hi Ryan,

If you have a chance pick up Pelle Soeborg's book "Rebuilding a Layout from A-Z" . In it he describes the entire process of constructing a fence from a Walthers Fence kit. It shows in detail how each plastic vertical fence post is drilled out using a pin vise drill while it is still attached to the sprue.

Pelle uses two .019 brass wires that are slid down the drilled upper and lower holes on the fence posts and secured with CA adhesive. He then secures a BRASS mesh the fence using CA.

Wedding Tulle is a mesh veil material that can be purchased at Michaels Craft Stores. It is identical to the mesh you would see on a security fence. Normally comes in gray or white. I have used the white tulle and airbrushed the entire fence once it was completed with a light gray. Pelle's book shows how this is done using the brass meshing.

Micronart is one company that makes etched brass fencing already completed.

http://micronart.com/HO_Scratch.html

I have included a couple of photos of my fence that I constructed not using the Walthers Fence kit since it was not available at the time. My fence was completely soldered using a template and wedding tulle.

th_railroadlayout048.jpg

th_IMG_0009-2.jpg

th_IMG_0035.jpg

Larry

Larry,

Picked up the book as recommended. Thanks for the tip - it looks to be an excellent guide for super detailing.
I'll update again soon as progress continues.

R

Larry,

Picked up the book as recommended. Thanks for the tip - it looks to be an excellent guide for super detailing.
I'll update again soon as progress continues.

R

Thanks for that recommendation. I just ordered a copy myself.
E.

Odie,

Glad to hear the book was helpful. I find all of Pelle's books helpful.

I enclosed a photo of the Micronart fencing that I used some years ago. Pricy, saves tons of time.

IMG_0020.jpg

That fencing looks great. It maybe pricy, but if it looks that good and is fairly straight forward to use then that, in my opinion is worth the cost.

I have (now) two different manufacturers of Chain Link Fence. The first one I got (Sierra Scale Models) is great, brass BUT has to be assembled and that is where I have hit and miss success, depending on whether or not I get the soldering of the metal wire for the fence right. If I could confidently solder or have something that allows me to reliably join the pieces I would stay with that Fence.

The second I have (just arrived this morning) is the Walthers fence which is plastic and that (while being convenient and easy to assemble) doesn't seem to have the realistic look of a Chain Mesh fence.

The Micron Art fence does and is already there to be erected. Had I bought the Micron Art Fence first, I would have probably saved money in the long run.

Thanks for bring this company to our attention, I think it is one that is largely unknown but should be promoted.

Hey Tony/Odie,

Pelle used Scenic Scales brass mesh (web site below) for fence material along with the Walthers fence kit. The key is to drill out the vertical fence posts with a pin vise and then add the brass horizontal upper and lower wires using CA to hold them in place. Pelle makes note to not have both the upper and lower wires stop with the same fence post. After this is complete, the brass mesh is cut to size and glued to the upper and lower wires with CA. This mesh runs about 6.95 for a 3" x 6" piece. I have also seen this for sale on EBay.

Three strand barbed wire is added to the fence posts using EZ line. The EZ line is wrapped once around each vertical post band secured with CA before moving onto the next vertical post. It is then airbrushed with an appropriate light gray fence color.

http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/prices/Scale_Scenics_2013.pdf

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Received the Walthers Fence (X2) and what a pain in the posterior that is! 1/2 plastic, 1/2 brass, 1/2 arsed in my opinion!

As soon as I saw them, they went back in the box and I ordered two of the Micron Art 10' Chain Mesh Fences.

As such, anyone want to buy the 2 Walthers "kits I have" - Brand spankin' new! $30 (taxes and shipping included) and they're both yours.

I'm sorely lacking updates as work has been a bit busy this week!

Spent a little time tonight on the fencing - after reading Pelle's book it all seemed so easy! Not so unfortunately on the fence.. but I'm proud to say that I've managed to drill several holes with a pin vise through fence posts in the Walther's kit. figured I'd post a quick pic of my accomplishment.

This was the first one I successfully drilled both top and bottom holes - I was excited!

Sprue with some posts on it and the first rail stuck through:
5lvts9.jpg

I'll keep at it this weekend and see where I end up. The Micronart fences are very tempting however I'm going to stick with what I've got for now (or until my frustration boils over).

I'll post another update this weekend.
R

Had an hour downstairs this morning and I made some significant progress. Thanks to Pelle's tips I drilled out the Walther's fence posts with a pin vise and managed to assemble a fence for the first time. I couldn't find anyone with the brass wire 0.019" in stock, so I carefully used the cheap wire included with the Walther's kit.

I also tried the Woodland Scenics track markers to weather my rail - I'm reasonably happy with it, however I also tested spray painting the rails before assembly with Liquitex paint. The colours came out almost exactly alike and I like the consistency of the spray paint much more. Lesson learned when I decide to expand - paint the track in advance! I've posted a couple of pics below.

R

The CN Trackmobile moves some of the Ethanol cars onto the main for pickup by the local. Also visible is the track weathering attempt:
ranlhv.jpg

Very proud of this work so far:
2yy9z13.jpg

Well I placed my first 8 1/4" section of fence today. I'm reasonably happy with my detail work. I'm sure my second round will be even better. I've still got about 16" to do. Even though the fence is imperfect, it really lends to the realism of the yard. I'm excited to see it all complete.

Having trouble posting the cell photo I snapped so I'll update again tonight once I get a good shot with the slr.

R

Had an hour downstairs this morning and I made some significant progress. Thanks to Pelle's tips I drilled out the Walther's fence posts with a pin vise and managed to assemble a fence for the first time. I couldn't find anyone with the brass wire 0.019" in stock, so I carefully used the cheap wire included with the Walther's kit.

I also tried the Woodland Scenics track markers to weather my rail - I'm reasonably happy with it, however I also tested spray painting the rails before assembly with Liquitex paint. The colours came out almost exactly alike and I like the consistency of the spray paint much more. Lesson learned when I decide to expand - paint the track in advance! I've posted a couple of pics below.

Odie

The CN Trackmobile moves some of the Ethanol cars onto the main for pickup by the local. Also visible is the track weathering attempt:
ranlhv.jpg

Very proud of this work so far:
2yy9z13.jpg

Odie,

If you haven't already ask for or ordered the brass rod in mm. 0.019 inches is 0.4826 mm. You should easily find this in mm from a hardware store, LHS or online. K&S Metals have .020 brass rod available stock #8159 My LHS has a large display of K&S as well as some of the hardware stores in my town. I have also found 0.19 brass rod for you on EBay.

Larry

http://ksmetals.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-SCALE-DE...083925?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2349819315

Now that I have one subscriber I have to post an update! Thanks Burbs!

Oil tank I bought a few weeks ago, painted yesterday and added a little extra rust around some of the joints. Used a sharpie paint marker and I'm happy with the result. It will be towards the back of 24" depth so I wasn't too worried about perfect detailing. Its a Rix products oil tank that was reasonably easy to assemble. No real complaints for the $.

Oil tank in temporary position:
29b0ajs.jpg

I managed to complete the fence section of about 8 1/4" over the weekend. Assembled using the Walthers kit and tips from Pelle's book. Mounted it on a piece of foam core board for painting. Used a neutral grey from Liquitex. Happy with the fence although I wonder if I'd like it to be more 'silver-ish'.

The fence on the foam core after painting:
2vb4d9c.jpg

I need to trim the right end still but again I'm quite happy with it. Funny that this little fence consisted of a lot of steps that each were time consuming; buy fence kit, search for help, buy Pelle's book, buy pin vise, drill holes CAREFULLY, assemble CAREFULLY, paint, mount. Holy - that sounds exhausting!

The fence temporarily mounted for picture purposes:
2i0qb8p.jpg

I'm happy with the progress and I have another surprise I'll post later this week!

Thanks for checking back in with me on this journey.
R

Odie,

Looks super. I've found that I had to start with a very small pin vise drill to get the holes started in the center of the fence posts and then come back with a larger bit. I'm not that steady anymore with a pin vise drill to make it right the first time. Remember that security fencing isn't perfect. Additional detail such as bushes growing and weaving into the fence is a great look.

Larry

Back