New HO Switching Layout

Odie-r

Hi All,

Newbie here.

Had a small HO circle table (4'x4') back when I was a kid and my interest was reignited recently. Since money and time now dictates I can have a little fun, I began construction of a 2' x 8' HO switching layout in November. I figured this way if my interest waned I wouldn't have got in over my head. I had very little experience with anything but DC. I did all my research and bought an NCE Powercab. Its been a simple delight to add new levels to model railroading like sound!

My 'prototype' is a small CN yard based in Saskatchewan. I took my inspiration from Symington yard in Winnipeg (albeit a MUCH smaller setup). I drew inspiration from a couple pics I saw of the hump there. I've posted a pic below. The track design I used is easily incorporated into a longer point-to-point layout should the bug ever strike me to grow it.

I have two industries, and a team track currently unfinished. The first industry (and largest) is based on the Canpotex Rail Car Maintenance Facility just outside Winnipeg. I have a good friend who runs a business 3D printing parts for other industries, and he fancied a challenge so he is currently creating the building for me. Its custom to fit my setup and is a slightly compressed version of the real thing. The real operation has 15,000m of trackage, and I've got enough space for 12 cars max - but hey, do what you can! Its currently represented by a cardboard box covered in painters' tape.

The second industry is an Ethanol and LPG distributor. I'm in the process of building the unloading racks now and used a Walthers kit that came fairly close to the prototype I viewed locally at a small chemical company where I live.

The team track will be rotated with box car, wood load, and flat car traffic as switch list dictates. I've taken a keen interest in the actual operations and am currently creating a card system to really add some realism.

My roster is currently about 15 cars and one loco. I plan to purchase two more locos (to represent actual inbound local freight) and continue to use my Rapido GMD-1 as switcher in the yard. I am also currently assembling my staging cassette or fiddle yard that will clamp onto the West end of my layout.

I'm not working in any particular order and just creating as the inspiration strikes me.

Comments welcome. Just wanted to say hi and share the fun I've been having. Pics below.

R

View from West end
qx2cuh.jpg

Wider view from West
2w7fjpk.jpg

Staff crossing at extreme east end
2vi437r.jpg

Tanker Unloading location 1 (3 racks on spur)
300wpjm.jpg

View from East End
mkxe91.jpg

Inspiration Pic
24d2f41.jpg

Canpotex Railcar Maintenance Facility
2evyhoy.jpg

Hi All,

Newbie here.

Had a small HO circle table (4'x4') back when I was a kid and my interest was reignited recently. Since money and time now dictates I can have a little fun, I began construction of a 2' x 8' HO switching layout in November. I figured this way if my interest waned I wouldn't have got in over my head. I had very little experience with anything but DC. I did all my research and bought an NCE Powercab. Its been a simple delight to add new levels to model railroading like sound!

My 'prototype' is a small CN yard based in Saskatchewan. I took my inspiration from Symington yard in Winnipeg (albeit a MUCH smaller setup). I drew inspiration from a couple pics I saw of the hump there. I've posted a pic below. The track design I used is easily incorporated into a longer point-to-point layout should the bug ever strike me to grow it.

I have two industries, and a team track currently unfinished. The first industry (and largest) is based on the Canpotex Rail Car Maintenance Facility just outside Winnipeg. I have a good friend who runs a business 3D printing parts for other industries, and he fancied a challenge so he is currently creating the building for me. Its custom to fit my setup and is a slightly compressed version of the real thing. The real operation has 15,000m of trackage, and I've got enough space for 12 cars max - but hey, do what you can! Its currently represented by a cardboard box covered in painters' tape.

The second industry is an Ethanol and LPG distributor. I'm in the process of building the unloading racks now and used a Walthers kit that came fairly close to the prototype I viewed locally at a small chemical company where I live.

The team track will be rotated with box car, wood load, and flat car traffic as switch list dictates. I've taken a keen interest in the actual operations and am currently creating a card system to really add some realism.

My roster is currently about 15 cars and one loco. I plan to purchase two more locos (to represent actual inbound local freight) and continue to use my Rapido GMD-1 as switcher in the yard. I am also currently assembling my staging cassette or fiddle yard that will clamp onto the West end of my layout.

I'm not working in any particular order and just creating as the inspiration strikes me.

Comments welcome. Just wanted to say hi and share the fun I've been having. Pics below.

R

View from West end
qx2cuh.jpg

Wider view from West
2w7fjpk.jpg

Staff crossing at extreme east end
2vi437r.jpg

Tanker Unloading location 1 (3 racks on spur)
300wpjm.jpg

View from East End
mkxe91.jpg

Inspiration Pic
24d2f41.jpg

Canpotex Railcar Maintenance Facility
2evyhoy.jpg
very cool. Keep us updated

Looks good! How many cars can you pull at a time when you use the runaround?

Beach,

Currently it is a max of 2 cars at a time on the runaround. On the east end I can fit two cars with a few inches to spare on the main, and 1 car on the west end. The west end will be supplemented with a staging cassette that will add at least 2 more cars in space to the 'main'.

The yard when fully occupied holds about 8 cars, and that is FULL. It becomes quite a puzzle when the yard is full. In realistic terms, most inbound freight will arrive on the longest siding (left side of photo from west) and the local freight locos will pull forward and then return on the main back to the staging yard. I've run a couple of 'practice' operating sessions, and due to size constraints, they typically run about 40 mins. This is a nice length of time as it never becomes boring and I can do it multiple times a day if I like.

I have a two track shelf below the layout that stores extra rolling stock. I just rotate in what is required by the cards.

R

Had a full day of boring weather today so I got 3 hours of work on the layout. Got tired of waiting for the 3D printed building my buddy is doing, so I scratch built the railcar maintenance facility out of foam board. I'm pretty happy with it - still needs a roof and all the exterior detailing. Length is 1.5 cars per track, so its looks mostly authentic. I will also paint the inside with black to darken it.

I also got the Ethanol unloading area ballasted, but not glued. I'm happy with it also. I'll be happier once the racks are in place.

See pics below:

R

2ezjsea.jpg

11bp0yw.jpg

Got in 3 hours of work on the layout yesterday. Grew tired of waiting for the 3D printed building from my buddy, so I scratch built the rail car maintenance facility out of foam board. A little dash of paint and voila! Needs the exterior details and a roof, but I'm pretty happy with it.
I'll also paint the interior so it doesn't look so bright.

I also got the tank unloading spur fully ballasted and prepped for the racks to go in.

Pics below:

Railcar Maintenance Facility
xefpxt.jpg

Tank Car Spur
11bp0yw.jpg

R

Eight turnouts in eight feet, and very nice detailing. Sweet! it is amazing you can fit it all in with those long modern cars. I did a similar switching layout and had to stick with 40 ft cars and a short 44-ton diesel.

Do both ends allow for a switcher and one car?

Epi,

Thanks for the nice comments.

The east end allows for loco and one/two cars depending on destination. The west end is deliberately short for the staging cassette which just clamps on under the framework. With it attached, I have space for the loco and two cars. It wasn't ideal, but I figured if I planned on expanding I'd have to make an immediate turn north and I wanted space for a 36" radius. This isn't necessary but I like the realism of it.

On another note, I downloaded an app called 'SwitchList' from a developer called Robert Bowdidge. This has proven an excellent switching list generator, and he has clearly put a lot of effort into it. I enjoy the operations as much as I do creating so its been a great find. Just wanted to give credit where its due!

I'll post another update asap.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you using for uncoupling? (At first I thought there were undertrack slab magnets with unusual placements but then I realized those are spill pans.)

What are you using for uncoupling? (At first I thought there were undertrack slab magnets with unusual placements but then I realized those are spill pans.)

Beach,

I'm low tech - using a bamboo skewer! All my turnouts are Peco and are hand thrown anyway so the whole operation is using the KISS acronym. Keep It Simple Stupid.

:)

R

Working on fences today... Bought a Walthers kit. I'm reasonably content with the product but the mesh is extremely finicky.

My solution to keeping the wires straight:
1zmiihy.jpg

Got all the ballast glued yesterday - what a job! Worked like a charm though, and everything is SOLID.

Also, worked on gondola loads for the team track - Created some simple log loads: bought some matchsticks, coloured them using an oil based Sharpie paint marker and then carefully cut and assembled everything. Very happy with the result!

Two loads:
29xavy9.jpg

In gondola:
1414eox.jpg

R

Got another hour in on the layout today.

Ballasted the Canpotex tracks, and completed the road across them as well. Still need to glue the ballast down on them... eye dropper again. :|

I also managed to complete three more log loads out of match sticks - I'm really happy with them for a grand total of $10. Can't complain!

Worked on tall grass today too - that is not a whole lot of fun. I'm content for a first effort but it is NOT easy to do! Any tips?

Lastly, I've re drawn the Canpotex building and will build another one with slightly better proportions. This one is just too tall for my liking.

I'll post an update again asap.

The roadway across coming together:
2rm5q94.jpg

One of my log loads sitting in a Rapido BCOL gondola on the team track:
swzns4.jpg

Some tall grass:
15oz96g.jpg

The staff crossing sign is up!
xf7tbo.jpg

Worked on tall grass today too - that is not a whole lot of fun. I'm content for a first effort but it is NOT easy to do! Any tips?

Do you use an electrostatic applicator to create tall grass or do you create them manually by pinch-and-place?

I have not used an electrostatic applicator but after watching a few youtube videos it is high on my list for scenery, when I finally get to scenery.
One video showed how to make individual grass clumps. There are also Instructables and vids showing how to make an applicaor from a $4 bug-zapper flyswatter.

You are making good progress.
-Doug

Do you use an electrostatic applicator to create tall grass or do you create them manually by pinch-and-place?

Thanks for the kind words Doug.

I haven't used an electro static applicator but I'm wondering if thats the best route for larger areas? I watched a youtube video and the guy made it look easy. He then said the device he was using wasn't available anymore... :(

Right now its just been 'pinch and place' and its working OK as I only have limited amounts of grass. I would love to cover the whole west end of the layout in grass but I purchased today some farm field material, and other ground covering to make it more rural anyway. As per the prototype as the yard is on the outside of town.

I'll post pics of the progress tonight.

R

Back