New Guy from Oklahoma

WillHSSR

Hello, I'm Will in Oklahoma and in the early planning stages of an HO layout I hope to build in a year or so. The layout will represent a small part of both the old Erie mainline and NY Susquehanna & Western in New Jersey. I need to finish building the attic rooms before I have space for this layout but, in the meantime, I'll be building structures and looking for rolling stock and locomotives. I look forward to spending time here because I have lots to learn.

Will,

welcome to the forums and it sounds like you have a good plan for your build. I have no doubt that you will receive all the help and guidance from the members of this forum, all you have to do is ask questions.

Welcome and have fun!

Hi Will,
Great to have you on the forums here. As Tony above says, there are plenty of members on here with many years worth of experience and some newly gained knowledge as well. This great hobby of ours can be a never ending source of enjoyment as well as quite a learning experience too as there are so many aspects to it.

With computers and the knowledge available it really enables individuals getting into the hobby a much broader spectrum of information to draw on which is also very helpful.

It should be very interesting to watch your progress.

Don't forget to drop into the ANPL down the list and Flo's/Jeffrey's Dinner for some coffee and conversation about trains too!

See you around,

David

Welcome Will. Believe it or not, your train room prep work is very important to a successful model railroad! I encourage you to take your time and plan every piece of the construction. Your time planning and dreaming now will pay off during layout construction.

Say Will, What Scott above says is important too but you also need to be flexible to consider how you plan to operate your trains from the standpoint of pick-up and delivery of cars to various locations to simulate real operation which gives the models a lot more realism. What I'm saying is to work into your plan various industries you'll service and try to have your plan flexible to accommodate others.

I imagine your going to be buying ready build turnouts/switches to work with and most generally use straight Right or Left handed ones as they are less costly. But don't overlook using curved turnouts, indeed plan on using them as they can really open up your possibilities of what you can fit in during the design stage or after as you see the need or desire to add other spur lines or fit something in you couldn't with just straight switches.

Btw, I have the full line of Atlas switches and accessories available as well Peco. My contact info is below, feel free to get in touch, my prices are hard to beat.

David Smith,
Ps: I've been on the forum here for a number of years now as well as being a life long model railroader.

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you onboard.

Thanks for sharing your hobby with us!

Hello, I'm Will in Oklahoma and in the early planning stages of an HO layout I hope to build in a year or so. The layout will represent a small part of both the old Erie mainline and NY Susquehanna & Western in New Jersey. I need to finish building the attic rooms before I have space for this layout but, in the meantime, I'll be building structures and looking for rolling stock and locomotives. I look forward to spending time here because I have lots to learn.
OK, how does someone in Oklahoma come to like New Jersey and the Erie railroad?

Back