New C&D Cars for the modern NYCS

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
Rather than posting this in the Weekend Photo Fun, I decided to create a new post since there are so many large pictures and I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

I recently completed four new Construction and Demolition debris (C&D) cars for my modern-day New York Central System. Anybody who follows eastern railroading closely will be well aware of these cars, particularly as they export debris out of the New York City area. Most C&D cars are either old woodchip hoppers, thrall gons, bathtub gons, etc.

To meet rising demand for C&D out of the Big Apple, the NYCS recently took ownership of some 200 woodchip hoppers (4 HO scale hoppers) of various kinds; the NYCS purchased them second-hand from a number of western railroads, retrofitted them to handle the rigors of C&D service, and painted them with a new experimental anti-graffiti paint.

Without further ado, here they are, photographed on my friend Don Meeker's incredible layout. C&D loads will be coming soon!

IMG_8368.jpg

NYCS 306058:
IMG_8369.jpg

NYCS 306195:
IMG_8370.jpg

NYCS 306109:
IMG_8371.jpg

NYCS 306012:
IMG_8372.jpg

IMG_8374.jpg

IMG_8378.jpg

IMG_8382.jpg

Sweeeeeeet!

by the way, Don Meeker's layout....do you have a layout plan of his incredible layout? or does he have a web site? Very cool I might add!

mtrpls, very very nice. I know those cars all to well as the NYSW is big into the C&D business. See all kinds of cars, old woodchip, converted box cars, old coal gondola's, retrofitted gondolas to highside's.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

As of now, I don't have any plans to produce any additional NYCS woodchip hoppers. That being said, however, I do have about 40 other woodchip hoppers that will be placed into C&D service... many restenciled for my fictional leasing company, MRFX, and some based on actual prototypes. In addition, I have about 30 Athearn thrall gons and bathtub gons, and some Atlas coalveyors that will all become C&D cars.

The NYCS cars were merely created to put my railroad's presence into what will become a very diverse C&D train now estimated to be about 70 cars strong at full buildout. That's many years from now, though.

Very nice work. I like the variation in car type. The paint and logos look very prototypical, you've done a great job bringing the NYC back to life!

PS, Good luck with the tagger resistant paint!

Back