New ACTRR Updates

Well i have been doing some detail work and here it is.

Bee keepers and gardens added to the Fifer Home.

DSCN6751.png

I finally found the BIG ARROW from when the tourist trap was on the previous layout.

DSCN6752.png

Added details to Brownies Service Station.

DSCN6753.png

I also finally got the crossing done and the yard tower as well as some out buildings and working on the fuel facillity.

DSCN6755.png

Mike

Today I finally got the billboards together for the tourist trap. I made them in Photoshop then printed them on regular paper at the correct size. Then I sprayed both sides of the paper with Testors decal spray (I think it is just clear lacquer). Then I cut them out and sprayed the back with 3M 77 spray adhesive. I then stuck them to some thin styrene. Then I cut them out with scissors and applied the u channel to the backs and painted them by hand.
I then went out and mounted them on the layout.
I think the effect is quite good.

DSCN0511.png

DSCN0514.png

DSCN0515.png

Mike

I have completed 3 structures for the ACTRR. The first two are Downtown Deco Addams Ave 1 and 2 but one was narrowed front to back in half and the other was cut to angled to fit across from the Bus Depot. The Third is the existing Bowling alley (Robins Lakeside Lanes) with the inside milled out to accept the Miller Engineering sign.
Now to get them out on the layout permanently.

DSCN0556.png

DSCN0557.png

DSCN0558.png

DSCN0559.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJke4HHXW0

Mike

Here is finally a method I came up with to make N Scale (or HO) yuccas.
I will try to do a how to and post it on our site soon.
It only requires Tan, white and grey craft paint, woodland yellow grass turf, woodland white flowers and silflor summer tufts and thick ACC.

Here are the results on the work bench.

Yuccas.png

Mike

Mike,

Not sure if I had my speakers turned off, or too low to hear what you were saying, but still enjoyed your video.

Its nice to see a layout with such varied scenery, yet easily identifiable features, in a space smaller than the size of Rhode Island. A number of threads recently have been seeking input regarding, 'how big a layout?' I've followed your thread since I've joined, and seen things progress nicely since then. When I watch your video's, even without the sound, I immediately recognize the 'southwestern/Santa Fe' nature of your layout, and interests.

One other thing I enjoy about your video's is that you don't limit your videography to simply close ups of the motive power. I find the scenery, good or bad, on a layout, at least as interesting as the motive power pulling some string of cars that some people leave out all together. Your videos make me feel like I'm 'actually there,' on your layout, looking at the train(s) roll by, if I was outside railfanning the Santa Fe mainline, in 'the real world.'

Keep up the good work, & always curious to see what you'll do next.

Otiscnj/Carl

Looks great Mike! Always liked that freight scheme of the ATSF units-simple, understated, and classy. As kids, my brother's first Athearn unit was an F45, in the blond scheme. Could easily pull 40 box cars around our loop of track on the floor, no problem, after the shorting was taken care of.

Got to ask a question at this point. What is your take on going to a larger scale, as you get older, Mike, and the theory that larger scales are easier to work with, and see? You've got a lot of detailed scenes on the ACT, and do a lot of detail work. Just wondering.

Looks great Mike! Always liked that freight scheme of the ATSF units-simple, understated, and classy. As kids, my brother's first Athearn unit was an F45, in the blond scheme. Could easily pull 40 box cars around our loop of track on the floor, no problem, after the shorting was taken care of.

Got to ask a question at this point. What is your take on going to a larger scale, as you get older, Mike, and the theory that larger scales are easier to work with, and see? You've got a lot of detailed scenes on the ACT, and do a lot of detail work. Just wondering.

Thanks, I think N is easier as there is alot of detail you do not need to add that would be needed in HO. I almost always wear my magnifiers and use alot of sets of tweezers. The inner workings of N Scale are much simpler.
I have G Scale and hate working on it and would get rid of it if the grandkids didn't use it in the summer.

IMHO

Mike

I am currently in HO, but with a huge amount of space. I have a rather large HO layout planned, that is based on following a prototype mainline, but along the lines of 'what it(it had been electrified). While it's great to be able to consider building my 'dream layout,' its also a challange, too, as I mostly work alone, but am building it with the expectatation of some day 'operating.'

I've given some thought of late, to returning to 3-rail O, as a way to effectively reduce the size of the layout(and time to completion). Over the years, I've stuck to HO, and considered N, but haven't made the jump in any serious way, due to space and 'sunk costs' into HO. At this point, given that I've got more space than I ever reasonably expected, I'm thinking about 'up-scaling'-keeping the same concept, but switching to a larger scale. Means investing in track and buildings, + some sort of control system, but I've all ready decided that I'm probably switching to DCC, and may be able to focus on modeling more of my '1st railroad love,' instead of 'rational love.' I like detailing passenger car interiors, and can do that a lot more in O, than HO. I also love the sound larger trains make, going over sectional track.

Back