Need a Layout Design - I cannot design it myself so I really need some help.

NScaler

Engineer in Training
I have an area for my layout and I have designed the benchwork. My benchwork is a 160" x 90" "L" shape as seen here...
cad_drawing_isometric_top_zpsacaec7a5.jpg

I have my benchwork shape saved in SCARM and XtrackCad. Yes, I know there are some hard to reach areas. My plan was lots of room in the back for mountain scenery. And access under the layout to get to hidden or hard to reach areas. I plan to scenic the layout with it pulled away from the wall. I am building this layout light because it will some day move to another part of the house.

I really, really need help guys. I want a mountain layout with tunnels, a large trestle bridge, etc. I have a few features I really want on my layout such as a 9 stall roundhouse and the Walthers 130' DCC turntable. I also would like to have the ability to have a couple trains running at any given time and not have to worry about them running into each other. Most of all, I want this to be a fun way for the kids to enjoy the trains either by watching them run or helping me move trains around. The era will be the 50's. I would like to be able to run large steam locos, and will probably have some diesels just because I like them. I think I want a passenger terminal too to run a small Amtrak train around.

I have tried and tried to come up with a design. But I just can't design anything that works. I have read books, been on here reading post after post, and still I can't do it. I have no railroad experience. I just have a love of model railroading and all of the hobbies that go along with it. I tried designing a layout 20 years ago. I read Track Planning for Realistic Operation from cover to cover numerous times. But I couldn't design a layout. That is the main reason I gave up the hobby years ago.

I started building my benchwork a month or so ago because I thought I found a plan that would satisfy me. But the plan was not a mountain layout. Just one that would fit my benchwork. And I realized it was not what I wanted at all. Now I have half my benchwork here and my wife is getting fed up with it and complaining to the point I am ready to take it outside and burn it. It wouldn't be so bad if it were a work in progress. But it is just sitting there while I model away.

I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to pay someone cash money, check, Paypal, whatever for their time. Either that or we can work out a trade. I am a skilled "hobbyist" graphic designer and have dabbled in web design so if you want to work out a trade for graphic design work we can do that. I just need a simple plan with the grades worked out that fits the features I want into my benchwork. I can modify a track plan to fit my needs. I just need a good start.

If it matters, I am planning on this layout being hand-laid Micro Engineering code 55 where visible, and ME flex in the tunnels. I plan to build my own turnouts. I plan to scratch-build most of the things on my layout, and the rest will be kitbashed craftsman and/or nice plastic structures kitbashed to suit. This layout will be awesome and built to the best of my abilities. I just suck at designing a layout.

Please let me know if interested. And thanks for reading.

I had a hard time designing a layout, until I looked at real life examples on Google map. Besides that, I use snap together track like KATO or Bachmann, so if I want to change it and make it better I can. For a permanent layout that is tougher. However you could use snap together track and place it down as a temporary layout on the table. Use it for a while, and see what you like and what you do not like, and make changes from there. Once you found something you like, then you can lay your track down good.

Kevin,

That is going to be a nice size layout and similar in shape to mine. Have to ask the same question though, is your layout going to be in N Scale? I assume it will be, and if so, you have a huge range of options to play with.

All I can tell you is to try what I did at first. Draw something on paper that you would like to have, then apply that to SCARM and make changes as needed. Then you could post your ideas and have others make suggestions for it, if needed.

Like you, I am hopeless at designing, at least getting my ideas down as viable proposition. As your layout is very similar to mine, you can take a look at it and see if that helps with some ideas.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing this come to fruition!

Cheers,

Kevin, I tried to send you a PM, but the computer said you have a full bin. This was about trackplanning. so clear out some messages and I'll re-send it. It could help you on the planning part.

OK Carey, I cleared my inbox. I always forget that gets full here :p Thanks.

Yes guys, this will be N scale.

That looks interesting. I will check that out tonight. Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Hi Nscaler, how about an around the room shelf layout. That would give you the larger turn radii and short reaches. Mine is about shoulder high so I can put some furniture (work table, desk, TV) under the railroad. Use a lift out bridge for doorway or a duck under if the railroad is high enough.

I have a corner of the room I can use. My benchwork is partially built. The shape of my benchwork is the amount of that space I could steal for my layout. An along the wall would still only be 90" by 160" and would not allow me the room to do what I wanted to do.

I guess what I am saying is, this is an along the wall layout. It just extends a long way from the wall.

I was looking at your site Carey. Who makes that coaling tower of yours? I have the Gloor Craft one which looks similar to yours and I can't wait to tear into building it. I am just waiting for another holiday weekend.

First, just sent you what you asked for.

Second, it's the Walthers wooden coaling tower. It no longer sits there.:( My wife somehow knocked it off into the floor and shattered it. I made her buy me a new one, and haven't replaced it yet!:eek:

I saw that on your site. It looks similar in design to my Gloor Craft one, but I have noticed a lot of them do. Your layout looks really cool. I wish I had that kind of space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried SCARM and a few other programs. SCARM works best for me. That being said, I ended up laying out track and seeing where it took me. You can run it for a bit, seeing what works for you and tweaking it as you see fit. Then, when you're satisfied with the results proceed to the next step.

My layout won't really be flat anywhere. I kinda want a mountain taking up around half of the layout. The grade in all the designs I have tried so far was a constant 2% for the most part. And that didn't get me the elevation I really wanted. So I was thinking I may need a small helix. But that may be just because I am terrible at designing a layout.

Hi Kevin,

I received your PM a couple of weeks ago, but was unable to reply because of the full inbox. Thank you for the note.

As you are searching for a mountain layout with bridges and tunnels, here is one point-to-point example that may inspire you:

Alps Mountain Layout in N scale

Apls_Mountain_Layout_in_N-scale_SCARM-3D_1-640.jpg

Apls_Mountain_Layout_in_N-scale_SCARM-3D_2-640.jpg

It is much smaller than your table, but it shows a good approach of how the different scenery features can be combined together. More pictures, details and the SCARM track plan are available from the link above. Hope this will be of help with some design ideas :)

Mixy

Carey has offered to help me out with a plan. But I hadn't seen that one yet Mixy, thanks!

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

One idea that I'm planning on using is that I want my main line to be flat. However, I want it to appear as though it's not flat. To do this, I plan on using bridges and hills to create the illusion that the elevation varies. The reason for this- not all engines perform the same, especially when it comes to hills. This way, all engines will be able to utilize a large portion of the layout.

Just some food for thought.

Back