My totally amazing, stupendous layout plan!!

OCN Guy

Well, it's not the greatest track plan - but by golly, it allowed me to accomplish all of my goals and fit into my available space (Every apartment and home should have a room that is 24X24!)
I'm able to cram all this into a 7'X5' area. Don't have the hidden staging area or the upper level planned yet.

If that's HO scale then it is truly totally amazing and stupendous how you fit it into 7' x 5'!
I'm guessing that makes it N scale?
I like the single track section for operations and the double track for running as well.
Will you have space on the sides for reach? If not you may want to reverse the direction of the siding on the left.

Trippy I saw your avatar, I didnt even know that line was the OCN and I grew next to it in Portsmouth RI. just checked out thier website LOL Some great memories around those tracks.
cool stuff good luck with the layout I'm still reading researching planning starting a diorama for learning/practice etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's HO scale then it is truly totally amazing and stupendous how you fit it into 7' x 5'!
I'm guessing that makes it N scale?
I like the single track section for operations and the double track for running as well.
Will you have space on the sides for reach? If not you may want to reverse the direction of the siding on the left.

Appreciate it! Actually, it's G scale. My curve radius is 6" curves, which might be a little tight. I'm scratch building a UP Big Boy as my first engine...
:D
just kidding! It's N Scale!The only walls are the back (the double tracks will be tunnel, and the one odd looking track will be on top of the hills). The only other wall is the right hand side. The left side fortunately faces the doorway, so that'll end up being the highly scenicked "show me off" part since you'll be seeing that first as you walk in the room.

Trippy I saw your avatar, I didnt even know that line was the OCN and I grew next to it in Portsmouth RI. just checked out thier website LOL Some great memories around those tracks.
cool stuff good luck with the layout I'm still reading researching planning starting a diorama for learning/practice etc etc.
Thank you...
Yeah, I had no idea it was the ON&N until a few years ago. it was a must-do!

Ta-Da! Progress so far. Risers cut, started plaster-clothing the risers. Next will be roadbed, track and signalling.
1st Photo: Snowshoe curve. No, the roundhouse doesn't go there, it's on the (planned) second level. But it gave me a spot to put it somewhere finally!
2nd Photo: Back right corner. Will be under a mountain, in tunnels. notice I avoided putting turnouts in a tunnel!
3rd photo: Front left corner. Will probably be docks, fishing piers, lake...
4th photo: layout as seen from left side.

Opinions? Anyone see any problems I need to fix right away before I go much farther?

From the pictures, it looks like you printed out the trackplan full-sized on 8.5x11" paper, then pieced it all together on the layout.

If that's correct, then I question the curve in the back right corner of photo 2. The curve seems to dive much deeper into the corner than the line on the trackplan indicates. A narrow radius curve could cause problems with longer equipment, especially if that curve is hidden inside a mountain as you have indicated. The trackplan also indicates that that corner is double-tracked. A narrow radius combined with double track spells overhang interference for longer equipment.

But I could be wrong. It just looks that way to me.

Darrell, quiet...for now

When, not if, your train derails inside the tunnel under the mountain in the back right corner, do you have a way to be able to get to it?

hmmm... I just measured, and the back curve is fitting 11.25" track quite easily. The outside passing (which I also intended for 11.25) track can fit a 12.5" piece right in the elbow of the curve, so the curves weren't shortened or abridged. Good eye, Darrell!
I'm planning transition era, so there won't be any of the longer modern stuff. All my railroads will be New England lines (B&M, MC, OC&N) so there shouldn't be any Challengers, just mostly Pacifics for most of the Steam Power, and F7-E7's for OC&N's Diesel. My prize 4-8-4 handles the curves well.
This kind of feedback is exactly the reason I came to this board! Thanks everyone, and keep the feedback coming!

Back