My small 4'4"x6" HO scale layout.......

Hello there!

I've started on my very first permanent layout. The bench work is a metal frame, constructed from L shape bars, with a wooden planks on top with roughly equal spacing in between. On to the the top, I glued down sheets of 1 1/2" Styrofoam. The track is temporally pin down directly to the Styrofoam.
(I may keep it that way, as it looks good).

The curves I've used are Atlas 24" radius sectional track (makes the layout look somewhat bigger doesn't it?), hence the 4'4", and the lone switch is an Atlas custom-line LH #4 manual switch. All track is Atlas code 83 NS. I just thought of sharing some shots of a train running on it.

For now, no scenery whatsoever, and will remain that way for some time as I'm having family matters to attained to. But will run the trains on and off!

Comments/criticisms and advice are welcomed!

Looking good so far. A great blank canvas to work with. There's plenty of options for scenery there.

What do envisage at the spur? Industry or something like an engine shed?

Not that you would feel bad about not having any scenery but don't feel too bad. I have had my layout up for about three years now (I think) and I am not even finished w/ track work yet!!! It's all good though watching trains go around is fine for me until I can get more time into it. Always nice to see someone putting up a permanent layout. Don't forget lots of pictures (that's the main reason I hang around here, have you seen some of these guys' work???? I ask the occasional question too ;).) Quick question, how much did your atlas track cost you? I am guessing you bought it in packs?

You should add another siding on the back side. Sidings allow you to interact with the layout, instead of just watching it go around the loop, which will probably become boring in short order. Send more pics when you get the scenery on.

Its a good start. Look forward to seeing how it progresses from here.

Thanks guys for the advice/compliments and encouragement!

To answer the questions some have asked me:

What do envisage at the spur? Industry or something like an engine shed?
Hathaway Browne, It will most likely be a industry and/or loading platform. I'm modeling "semi-fictional" American mid-east single track branch line which runs thru a forest or so set in 2005-2007 era like. I'm doing this by studying pictures of NS and CSX branch-lines. (I've mentioned I'm from Sri-Lanka). Power will be mostly GP15s, GP38s and GP40s and rolling stock mostly 50' box cars (also, when time and finances permit hopper cars, flat cars and gondolas too:))!

have you seen some of these guys' work????
Yes psychobeagle12, It's amazing what some of these people can do!

To answer your second question: how much my Atlas track cost me: yes, I got them in packs:

4x packs of 24" radius curved track (6 pieces in each) USD27.92 on sale

2x packs of 9" straight (6 pieces in each) USD13.96 on sale

1x LH Custom-line #4 switch track USD19.95

1x LH manual switch machine for switch track USD5.75

This is more than the layout will need, but It's good to have some spare track! All together USD67.58 excluding shipping. Like I mentioned, I'm from Sri-lanka, so I had to import the track. Shipping came to around USD32 (I imported in 3 batches). Hope that helps:)!

On a side note, replacing all my code 100 steel tracks with code 83 nickel-silver, the difference is just amazing!

You should add another siding on the back side. Sidings allow you to interact with the layout, instead of just watching it go around the loop, which will probably become boring in short order. Send more pics when you get the scenery on.
Yes, it is in the plan, when finances and time permits, yes, there is to be a second spur at the back!

Thanks again people! But now the project is on hold (will be that way for some time) as family matters need to be attended to. Trains will be run on it on and off though and more stuff bought and stored:).

Diesel-Electric.

My last layout looked mostly like the Plywood Central, than a sceniced layout. Remember, it's your hobby-it should be fun.

Just wondering why you choose to model the USA? There are trains/railroads all over the world. The USA is pretty far from Sri-Lanka.

Just wondering why you choose to model the USA? There are trains/railroads all over the world. The USA is pretty far from Sri-Lanka.
Gee, otiscnj, I always did wonder when someone in this forum would ask me that:).

Well, since you asked, I really like the 2nd generation EMD GP series locomotives (15, 38, 39, 40 especially) after my starter train set had a GP in it and really like freight trains (same reason). Also, American prototype models are generally affordable unlike the rest.

Yes, Sri-Lanka does have a very rich variety of trains: Locomotives imported from Canada (Class M2 & M4), England (Class M1, M7 & Y), Germany (Class W1, W2, W3 & M6), Japan (Class M5), India (Class M8), France (Class M9), China and also a locally manufactured locomotive (Class M3). Check this wite if you are interested: http://www.srilankanlocos.com/data/data.html

Rolling stock, from mainly from China and Romania, also from England (very old ones) and much more (push pulls, power sets etc etc).

Yet, I get to see these trains often, which are almost always passenger trains. So I decided, to do a railroad layout which I may never get to see in the flesh, so it was American I chose.

BTW, thanks for the encouragement too!

Deisel-Electric

Say Deisel-Electric,

Sorry to hear your having family problems, I too did when my Mom had a large stroke in the latter part of 2005 and then things be came complicated and my layout work almost ceased completely!

Anyway, when things allow I thought I'd also suggest making use of a corner or two for a spur to possibly an industry or engine shed for added operation. Also, don't forget you can use a curved turnout as your coming into one of the end curves to allow for a spur line to be wrapped completely around the end for a longer siding too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear your having family problems, I too did when my Mom had a large stroke in the latter part of 2005 and then things be came complicated and my layout work almost ceased completely!

Hey, Trussrod, thanks for the kind words, and I'm sorry to hear about your mum.

Yet, my family problems are not a sad one, it's a happy one. Just before Christmas, I became a dad for the first time:)! So gotta keep better half happy right:)? But, she's really cool about it, that's why, I did manage get this far with my layout as we moved in to a new place which left one room free for me to mess about in. My layout actually has a dual purpose, it also covers the mess of boxes underneath :p!

Anyway, my plan is to add another Atlas LH #4 custom-line turnout to the opposite side to add another spur. But I really like your idea of a curved turnout to have an outside siding (I could use a #7 curved turnout with the outside radius 28" and inside radius 24"?). Question is would I have to customize some track to make it fit in or, would it just fit in to the same space as the straight part of a #4 switch fits into the space of a 9" straight track? Also, I may have to shift the oval more towards one side to accommodate the outside siding, maybe 2" (???), as there IS a 3' drop at the edges.

Thanks for the idea,

Diesel-Electric.

Back