My new Paragon II NW2 switchers

lmackattack

old school
Here are a few shots of my new BLI Paragon 2 NW2 switchers. I got both from a factory Direct trains sale a few weeks ago. Sound and DCC for $99 each.
bothe were factory painted in the Georga RR colors but I re paintend and decaled both in ICRR lively, circa the late 40s. Still need some more weatheing and a few tweaks to get them they way I want them...

Great looking models and a nice job on the paint schemes. Do you mind telling me what colour black you used? "Steam Power" or "Engine" black or neither?

I use water based paint.
I started with a gloss black by Testors
after the decales were added I sealed them with a few coats of polly scale gloss clear followed by a mist of polly scale grimy black to the under frames and fuel tank.Then I used a semi gloss clear to finish it off. Wheels were rusted with woodland scenics weathering pens.. I just like the semi gloss finish as it looks more to "scale" to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use water based paint.
I started with a gloss black by Testors
after the decales were added I sealed them with a few coats of polly scale gloss clear followed by a mist of polly scale grimy black to the under frames and fuel tank.Then I used a semi gloss clear to finish it off. Wheels were rusted with woodland scenics weathering pens.. I just like the semi gloss finish as it looks more to "scale" to me.

And they look great as a result. I ask because I have tried to match N&W black with Polly Scale "Engine Black" and find it to be too flat vs. factory painted models from "Atlas" ect. I think I am going to try Polly Scale "Steam Power” black next. Seems to be a darker Black with more semi gloss and less flat. Allot of the Microscale decals recommend Engine Black as match for N&W black, but I think this is incorrect (being too flat and looking pre-weathered, I am going for the fresh out if the paint shop black).

Who knew there could be so many shades of black? By Testors and Acrylic, I assume you mean the fact that they own Polly Scale, because I have always thought of Testors as oil based not acrylic (in your reference to using acrylic). Anyway I like the look of your finished models.

Cheers

If I follow you correctly I did mean "Testors" Acrylic Gloss black. Here is the color that I used
http://www.testors.com/products/136759

I was real big into the oil based testors with my 1/25 scale models but think that they take to much detail away with smaller models. I have switched to acrylics on everthing I paint for the last 10 years.

I like the "steam power" and "engine black" on my steam locos as they have a dull look to them. Give the testors glossblack a try as its pretty shiny with a gloss clear over it. you cant see youself in it but looks to scale what a black loco would look like if rolled fresh out of a paint shop.

I like the switchers, I like IC/ICG, and I've even seen those types of switchers in black in Chicago. Having said that, I myself would have liked to see them in orange and white. That was my fave IC/ICG paint scheme!!! I would have ordered two if they would have come in that scheme. They ARE nice though!!!

thanks guys... I would like to find a used NW2 and convert it into a Slug. I have a old BB athearn calf but it does not have the detail as the BLI units. it stands out like a sore thumb...

how is that BLI unit? I was thinking of purchasing one of their switchers. I am debating a few different manufactures products. They look really nice. how is the sound? is it the factory sound?

Great lookin' switchers imackattack! I have one of their UP switchers, and it has become one of my favorites. It is very smooth at slow speeds, and the sounds are great.

I saw the Southern Pacific one, i think, while i was in NY. I am going back next week. I have no LHS within 175 miles, my family in NY lives near Trainland. I was able to test run a few switchers last time I was there. My brother has a BLI F unit, I love it.
I am leaning towarsds that switcher.
Thanks for sharing those photos and any performance evaluations would be helpful as well.

The units are very nice. Out of the box they run and sound prototipical. One thing I like is the engine sounds rev up and down dependent on the load it is pulling. As soon as it pulls a grade it notches up untill the load is reduced then it notches down. Kinda cool. Detail wise its good. but its a simple loco and not much on it besides grab irons and railings. The biggest downfall is that they dont pull very well.Each can pull about 15 cars on the flat but as soon as it sees a grade it slips. I have a 3% grade at home and at 8 cars the single unit is maxed out. I have smaller a P2K Alco S1 that pulls twice as much. they have alot of sound options that I dont use such as the city sounds, barn sounds etc... but it does have a cool feature that I like. its the record and replay feature. I can record the locos movment and sounds then "replay" it in a "looped" sequince. I like to leave it over in a yard automaticly moving some box cars from one end to the other as I run my other train. its good for putting on a show or down at the club on open house. I have not really adjusted more than the momentum settings and they run very well with each other right out of the box.

Trent

how is that BLI unit? I was thinking of purchasing one of their switchers. I am debating a few different manufactures products. They look really nice. how is the sound? is it the factory sound?
I have one of these, and I like all the sounds except the prime mover. It just sounds like "noise" to me. All other sounds are great, and the speed control is excellent. I've turned off the cab light that goes on when the unit stops, and remapped a couple of CV's to better suit me personally.
I also have the Athearn switchers with the MRC sound decoders, and the prime mover sounds better in them. Everything else about the sound with the MRC is worse than the P2, motor control, and other sounds.

Back