My New Layout

Is it possible to drop some structures where you think they will go ? even some lines formed in the shape of the structure?

OK here it is with some buildings.

TheLwithBldgs_zps6slhfpcx.jpg

John,

As Lynn suggested, take a "screen shot" of your track plan then open that in Photoshop or another Paint Program (Gimp is a free download if you don't have a program). Then you can "draw in" anything you might like exactly as you see it on the layout.

Yes I think I am liking this maybe a few tweeks when I actually build it but on a whole it looks pretty good.Do you guys have any suggestions?

snapshot_zps81af1wcb.jpg

I made a couple of changes to the track plan feeding the industries.The way I have it now the industries are not so squeezed together and I have room for the roads.

theLnew1_zps2tqmadya.jpg

I made a couple of changes to the track plan feeding the industries.The way I have it now the industries are not so squeezed together and I have room for the roads.
That puts all your industries as trailing point switching for counter-clockwise running. Is that what you intended?

That puts all your industries as trailing point switching for counter-clockwise running. Is that what you intended?

The coal mine is pretty much dictating that and I dont see away of changing thatwithout changing a major part of the plan,unless you see something I dont if you do feel free to tell me.You know I am left handed so I think backwards to begin with.

As mentioned with the staging yard, once you get into the decline I would imagine you can put the final yard where ever you want it and as low as you want it as long you can make another revolution. Keep in mind it is alot of extra work but you have to use it. I rarely used mine even though it was finished because I had so much else to work on and next thing I knew I was dissembling for the new layout and although I knew it would be even easier with my new layout with its base height being minimum 60" off floor ,could actually be more , either way I knew staging was not for me.

This conversation could be mirrored for my layout. My mine is going to be the "focal point" (industry wise) on my layout and I am also wondering about the staging area too.

I was fooling around with the layout again and came up with this on the lower left side but cant see if it will actually add anything to the layout.What do you guys think?

TheLwithleg_zpsvin8jyxa.jpg

I was fooling around with the layout again and came up with this on the lower left side but cant see if it will actually add anything to the layout.What do you guys think?

I guess I could store extra made up trains there.

I guess I could store extra made up trains there.

That is exactly like one end of my layout, a curved staging yard. I 'planned' it that way and it works fine. In the next 'incarnation' it will be one of the only places that does not get re-done. Gotta have someplace to park everybody while the work goes on! LOL!

John,

Personally, I like having options on a layout so additional track is always a good thing. I do think you could make more use of that area than just using it for storage or a staging area.

My immediate thought was to increase the width of the "New Track Area" and move your mine down to it then put a "Saw Mill" in where your mine currently is. Adding a "Saw Mill" will give your "Lumber Yard" a source for timber.

Alternatively, and if space permits, you could add a small peninsula that new area and add a small "Depot" extending one of the tracks to give the impression that is continues through - maybe into a "Tunnel" so it doesn't just stop. Kind of like this:

TheLwithleg_zpsfk0rtz6e.jpg

Just my thoughts if you have the space and you could still use the two left hand tracks as a "storage" area for trains not in use.

Back