My N Scale GGN with extras

GGNInNScale

Granite Gorge and Northern Again
This is my version of the old Atlas Granite Gorge and Northern layout (I believe this was John Armstrong's original concept). I added peripheral tracks and a station, and a yard in the "front". It is a cross-roads layout- many roads are represented. It is controlled with a variety of Arduino microcomputers, with relay banks, servos, etc. It is fully lit for night operation. I have spent the last 18 months converting the engines to DCC, using an NCE Power Cab for control. I use NCE, TCS, Digitrax and ESU decoders. I am now changing to sound using ESU LokSound modules. The buildings have interiors, LED lighting. The town has fully functioning traffic signals, and street lights. I am adding more trees- just got 50 of various types. Yes, there is a Shinkansen train- I spent a lot of time in Japan in my career, and could not resist! More pictures to come.
Also, in the lower left corner, you can see the control panel. The gray plate is a drop-down programming track. The switch to the right of the programming track selects the main layout or programming track- protects against accidental reprogramming of a bunch of engines (not that I ever did that...)
trains.jpg

Last edited:
It was indeed John Armstrong's concept, first presented here, I'm nearly certain, circa 1958: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Atlas...hn-Armstrong-Custom-Line-/363191519229?_ul=IL

That book is EASILY worth $12 + shipping, if only for Thaddeus Stepek's cartoons. He had a real talent for drawing and humor both. :D :D :D.

---------------

The GGN was my own personal dream layout around age twelve, and the original build was railroad E in that book. F was the "Central Midland," some versions of which have also been seen around these parts.

The original GGN was designed for a 5' x 9' sheet of plywood, various sections to be cut and elevated over a box type grid frame. It was VERY well planned out too--JA had a cutting edge MRRing brain.

That size plywood sheet was sold--special ordered--for making ping-pong tables, and in anticipation of it being difficult to source, Armstrong also planned for building the layout using 4' x 8' sheets too. IIRC, all the part-cutting layouts and dimensions are in that book.

FWIW, when I first looked into the forum here, it was the fact that a couple or three of you guys had built or were building versions of the GGN that caused me to join up in the first place. So I appreciate your work right off, for that reason alone. I probably wouldn't be here at all, but for you handful of GGN builders. :D

You've obviously expanded on the original plan, but the original is easy to pick out. FWIW too, I think your version is as faithful to JA's original scenery "plan," although it's certainly easier to do that too in the smaller scale.

This is, electronically, on a level JA or others back then could only dream of. When I think of what those guys could have done with Arduinos--what you are doing yourself, basically--well...they would have loved it.

The good folks at Atlas wouldn't have, of course. :D

----------------

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Attachments

• Thaddeus Stepek toon (3).jpg
    Thaddeus Stepek toon (3).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Very nice, I’ll be one of many waiting for more pics!
I've been contemplating (threatening) to do an N scale layout and have recently come into a huge collection so no more excuses?

It was indeed John Armstrong's concept, first presented here, I'm nearly certain, circa 1958: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Atlas...hn-Armstrong-Custom-Line-/363191519229?_ul=IL

That book is EASILY worth $12 + shipping, if only for Thaddeus Stepek's cartoons. He had a real talent for drawing and humor both. :D :D :D.

---------------

The GGN was my own personal dream layout around age twelve, and the original build was railroad E in that book. F was the "Central Midland," some versions of which have also been seen around these parts.

The original GGN was designed for a 5' x 9' sheet of plywood, various sections to be cut and elevated over a box type grid frame. It was VERY well planned out too--JA had a cutting edge MRRing brain.

That size plywood sheet was sold--special ordered--for making ping-pong tables, and in anticipation of it being difficult to source, Armstrong also planned for building the layout using 4' x 8' sheets too. IIRC, all the part-cutting layouts and dimensions are in that book.

FWIW, when I first looked into the forum here, it was the fact that a couple or three of you guys had built or were building versions of the GGN that caused me to join up in the first place. So I appreciate your work right off, for that reason alone. I probably wouldn't be here at all, but for you handful of GGN builders. :D

You've obviously expanded on the original plan, but the original is easy to pick out. FWIW too, I think your version is as faithful to JA's original scenery "plan," although it's certainly easier to do that too in the smaller scale.

This is, electronically, on a level JA or others back then could only dream of. When I think of what those guys could have done with Arduinos--what you are doing yourself, basically--well...they would have loved it.

----------------

Thanks! The best cartoon was the one where the guy tries to pull the tracks together- "Oh, nubbins"...

---------------

----------------

We built the 9x5 version back in the day, replete with all the cuts and spacers and drops. I will say that building on foam with Woodland Scenics risers made it a LOT easier... 😁

We built the 9x5 version back in the day, replete with all the cuts and spacers and drops. I will say that building on foam with Woodland Scenics risers made it a LOT easier... 😁
WOW! I often wondered if anyone ever did, and now I know. "Nubbins" indeed.

You will obviously also know that (I think I'm quoting it correctly) "Every self-respecting model rail has his own favorite [scenery] concoction." And if memory serves, three or four of the ingredients in 'our hero's' concoction were...Red Eye...eye of newt...aardvark hairs and...lemur femurs (?)

Like I said, and you obviously know--it's well worth the twelve dollars. :D

And another of them: "With a little care in selection of your scenery items, you can decorate your layout to a point where...

...it would look better if you hadn't!"

[cowboy riding away, dinosaur, blimp, and of course the obligatory fit-over-the-track foam tunnel that goes through the foam mountain. Which, if memory serves, fit over the top of a four way ninety degree crossover in Thad's case]

Just don't forget to "fix something underneath first." :D

Back