My layout is possessed!

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Afternoon All,

The title say's it all.

The other day, I pulled a section of my track up, carefully placing it about 2" from its proper position, to lay the rest of my track bed. The section of track included my 3 LH turnouts, of the Atlas variety (you know, the ones you can't get). I laid the track bed and left it for an hour or, so to settle, before I replaced the track. When I went to replace the track, one of my LH turnouts had vanished, gone, departed, taken off, shot through, disappeared, evacuated .... !!!

I have searched the layout, room and even the entire house for the turnout without success. Of ALL the pieces to vanish, it HAD to be an Atlas turnout :(

This has to qualify as one of a couple of things, idiot of the month award (muah) or one of those paranormal things on TV.

Have a great day guys while I look for razor blades :)

You'll find it in a few days looking for something else. I know because I have years of experience in these matters.

That's great to hear. Now stuff like that will quit happening on my empire because it's moved on to yours.

Ok Tony. If you are anything like me, you have a mess of tools lying about while you are working. It is probably laying in plain site, but camouflaged by the other things laying around it. We lost a milling tool for 24 hours one day at work and the whole time it was sitting on the workbench right in front of our noses. A turnout could hide very easily under a piece of paper, a book, or anywhere. Move everything and it will turn up.

Or maybe you are right. Maybe it is a spectre ;)

This could be fun Tony. Take a few pictures of the work area and post them. It could be one of those games where we search a photo for hidden items LOL.

Thanks guys,

Ken,

Glad I could help :)

Kevin,

Trust me, I have looked under, over, in and around pretty much everything in the room as well as out in the lounge room. Chances are, I have picked the stupid thing up and put it down again while looking.

Larry,

I'm almost sure of it and believe me, this isn't the first time nor will it be the last.

I still think the layout is possessed though - and I'm sticking with that until it turns up again, in which case, I have a sympathetic, railroad enthusiast spirit on board. Either way, it can't be my fault :)

Cheers and have fun with this ...

Look in plain sight. I have lost stuff and looked for 30 minutes or more. Then low and behold there it was about to bite the day lights out of me.

We all have a black hole near the layout. Things fall into it and after a period of time they materialize out the other end. In my case it is similar to yours. Whatever disappears is always something that I cannot replace. After a trip through the 4th dimension your turnout will eventually come back.

This could be fun Tony. Take a few pictures of the work area and post them. It could be one of those games where we search a photo for hidden items LOL.

Oh no, not another Dancing Naked Girl (DNG) thing .... :)

Look in plain sight. I have lost stuff and looked for 30 minutes or more. Then low and behold there it was about to bite the day lights out of me.

Well, I wish this turnout would bite me - real soon!

We all have a black hole near the layout. Things fall into it and after a period of time they materialize out the other end. In my case it is similar to yours. Whatever disappears is always something that I cannot replace. After a trip through the 4th dimension your turnout will eventually come back.

I guess this teaches me for using the term "Dark Side" to refer to the right side of my layout. You suppose there could be a connection there????? :)

Cheers guys and I'll be sure to let you know if, who or whatever took it, returns it. Until then

"...may the farce be with you, and you , and you and you too..."

If your luck is anything like mine you will find it just after you have replaced it. I've lost count the number of times it's happened. :confused:

I've noticed lately at my local hobby shop that Atlas products seem to be appearing again. Hang in there, so will your turnout.

Another idea is to check on the back of your shirt. You may have sat down on it by accident and it hooked there.

Did you interview other suspects in the house? Wife, son, etc. It could be accidentally thrown in the trash. LOL

Maybe the local feline fenced it to support his catnip habit... Check local pet and pawn shops...

G'day Wombat.....Call in the Ghost Trainbusters...but look on the bright side....Ghosts must like model trains too and seeing there's a downturn in the 'spooking' business of late , as the politicians have taken over , they're out of cash so they need to pinch their stuff instead of buying it....Truly though...what a mystery...hope you find it soon , they're too hard to come by to lose...Cheers Rod..

What is the Atlas part #, maybe I can help. I recently came across tons of HO stuff, 90% unopened & I recall seeing packaged Atlas track pieces. You mentioned "can't get".... is it a discontinued item? I'm not too familiar with the track parts & just started inventorying engines, rolling stock & other goodies.
I haven't checked this site thoroughly & wonder if there is there a category here just for posting available items or is that against TOS?

40 years ago I put a 100 Dollar bill in a math book. That was a lot of money back then. I put the book in my bookshelf for emergencies. Years later I remembered doing that but I couldn't remember for certain which math book. I never did find it. I thought it would be the safest place in the world. What thief would ever pull out a MATH book let alone even open it up and browse inside? It ranks right up there with books on diagramming sentences.

Back