My HO layout

Jannie

Hi there.new member here....this is my current 'new' layout.....I only have 1x2meters avalible (for now)...so I'm using all I can...the red lines indicates raised & lowered sections..will post more in near future,,,,thanx for stopping by....Jannie

At the moment running SW9 & GP7 locos,couple of running stock box'ers,flats & huskys..aswell as a 200Ton crane...now for some scenery

You certainly have gotten a lot into that space, Jannie, but your trackwork and frame assembly seem fine. The grade is severe, even for a model, but it isn't like the real world doesn't have some grades in excess of 3%. In fact, my main grades, the ruling grades, are 3%. My engines have to work hard!

I will be interested to see how the rest of the fleshing out and scenery takes shape.

Welcome to the forum.

-Crandell

thanx....the top track is at it's highest 5inches....had to go so high so I could work on the track underneath if nessesary....Both my locos pull their trains fine up & down.....maybe because I removed all weights from the cars... ;)
My longest flatcar is a 85 footer,,,,& it doesn't derail...even with the tight bends...well,then again...I modified it to do so......

Will be posting more over the weekend.....Jannie

Looks good.
Is that a mix of black and brown rail ties? If so the black rail would be higher than the brown. Black is code 100 and brown is code 83

so right...what you see is the code 83 turnout from atlas....lifted to match the code 100 flex.

ok...another pic of my layout,,,,here you can see the Athearn SW9 pulling box-& hopper car plus wide caboose...the the lefthand siding you can see my GP7 with coal car..in the righthand side siding you can see my 200Ton crane with husky stack(loco in that sinding is my Marklin steamer....obviously not working on the track...just there for show)....will be posting more soon....Jannie

here you can see my SW9..yet again....going past...on the highest point of the layout....5inches....

Nice plan you have going. But the track layed on the partical board edge scares me! What are your plans for covering the sides? Seems too close to other tracks for a sloped bank. And a rock cliff/stone wall on each side would look better but still seems like a narrow path to run on. The last picture looks like 1/2 the track is supported by board leaving one rail and 1/2 ties hanging off the edge, box car is leaning. Wouldn't want to see that nice SW9 take a fall! :O Keep the pictures coming!!

Thanx...just had a nice laugh while reading that...hahahaha! the setup does look scary at the moment...don't worry,no trains has derailed or came off the track at any time thus far while rolling...as for the box..it's leaning cause I 'modified' the pivot points....the rails are temp. nailed,so they ain't going nowhere...the cliff/stone wall is an idea I'm working to....kinda like they do with some European layouts...

I'm leaning..no pun intended..towards having small different 'scenes' connected...so I can get different shots/scenes in a small layout(remember I only have 1x2 meters of space avalible).....what you folks think of that idea?

the cliff/stone wall is an idea I'm working to....kinda like they do with some European layouts...

Hi Jannie, :)

I really like that idea and am planning on doing something similar.
Retaining walls are a brilliant way to connect two different elevations together within a very small space like this micro mining layout...

arpafeelie1.jpg

Or this really clever idea with building fronts right in the wall...
hofbau1.jpg

I'm leaning..no pun intended..towards having small different 'scenes' connected...so I can get different shots/scenes in a small layout(remember I only have 1x2 meters of space avalible).....what you folks think of that idea?

That's interesting... here's a similar idea that someone did. They built modular dioramas...

microsection1.jpg

microsection3.jpg

microsection4.jpg

microsection5.jpg

So that they could connect them together in a variety of ways.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds cool to me. It's your world, enjoy!!
The wall is your best route for the area you have to work with. That will look great.
Thanks for laughing because I'd never poke at anyones hobby/creation, I can appricate everything others do, but I am my worst critic of my own stuff. Ha! Ha! I can never please myself but think everyone elses is AWESOME. And I learn alittle something from everyone.

I like your idea of different scenes in a small area. Are you looking to do quick changes? Maybe a divider, large buildings, etc to hide the transitions? The camera might be a great start tool to figure the track shot you want to be taking. Then build the scenics to fit the picture and hide the next scene.
I've seen layouts that transition thru the seasons. Had areas for Spring thru Winter. I love to see the beautiful pictures that everyone has of their completed areas but it's also great to watch a persons plans grow. Everyone here is very cool about helping. I wished I had this page YEARS ago! "Everyone here likes to joke but never poke!" The simplest of questions to the most complex are answered. I learn something from everyone. Great people here and modelers from all skill levels. It's a great hobby that combines many aspects. Carpentry, painting, wiring, trouble shooting, model building, mini landscaping ect...no wonder we go in the train room and in no time at all, look at the clock and its 1 am!!

Nice to watch your dreams as they are built. Keep up the great work. I'll get more shots of mine up soon, just everything I have done lately isn't noticable.
Oh......and a layout is never done unless you sell it or destory it!.
So have fun, its what its all about...it's the only world we can control!....(somewhat)!!

I think it's coming along nicely. Many smaller scenes would be cool on that layout. You would get the most out of it.

thanx guys....that's the reason why I have my top track running 5inches high & on the 'inside' there will be two different scenes & a small industrial area with 1 siding....then on the otherside(where the 200ton crane is now)..there will be a turntable connected to that siding,with a divider in the middle of the layout(so the access hole will become smaller)...with another 2 or so sidings.......then I'm pondering with the thought of putting another 1x1meter table to the side...making it a L-shape layout...but space is the thing for now....keep the ideas coming..thanx for the pics...it's 1:30am over here now.... ;)

Thanx Kellan....when I finally buy 1 of those diesels from you...I'll make some plans to go L-shaped....& No! not me...the layout ;)

finally went to 1 of our local swap meets & wow!....bought a couple of stuff & met alot of interesting & nice folks.....havn't had much time for building in between restoring cars & building hotrods,but I did a bit last nite....more to follow....& yes...the blue 'light' will be painted black...seeing that the top track is running overhead....

did abit of scenery stuff just now....& painted the facia board aswell....now the layout doesn't look so dead anymore....

Coming along is see.

One thing tho do you have access to the back side of the layout under the top deck? Is this on wheels?

LoL....I just slip in underneath the table....the top part can be removed if needed....the top part is actually 3 separate pieces...underneath I can reach & work on any piece of the hidden track

as you may have seen,my track plans & layout have changed abit....gonna do a small town layout at the top..with a turntable,loco shed..the whole switchyard thing aswell as a small station,a logging compound & a mountain to the right side of the layout...at the bottom I'm gonna do a small single siding grain hopper,with small details beside the track line...some hiding sidings will find their way behind the fake town backdrop...gonna run a 3 carriage 2 loco passenger train & 2 freight trains on the loops while doing some 'switching'more to follow

Back