my first scratch build boxcar doors

railBuilderDhd

Here is the first scratch build of rail car (doors). I hope I can get it better as I build more versions.

I'm working on the doors now and will post more as I get some done on those but they need to be scratch build since the ones that came with the model didn't match. I'm still looking for a roof shot to match the roof of the Acurail model. I'm sure I can find one soon. I do like the edge of the roof in the first photo but I don't have any better shots of that one.

Here is my Prototype:

207150-2.png

CPAA207161.png

Here's the progress after day one:
DSCN7344.png

DSCN7346.png

DSCN7354.png

DSCN7349.png

Here is today's update:
DSCN7357.png

DSCN7359.png

DSCN7360.png

I would love to hear any comments on what's done so far.
rbDave

Dave, its just an X panel roof.

Try modeling an ELS car, I need the diagonal roof, on a PS 5277 box, with Youngstown doors. Good thing the IM cars have separate doors, both the Athearn/MDC car & IM have the wrong roof...

Wow, if I didn't see the progress pics I'd have thought it was store bought, nicely done!

Thanks for the kind words :D - now the trick will be to find a color to match the car so I don't need to re-paint the entire car over and loose the detail marking that came on it. :eek:
Dave

Dave, great job on a real oddball door. I don't think I could do that well if I tried the rest of my life. As Josh said, that's a normal "X" panel roof so at least that shouldn't need much work.

Great Job

I had to build the doors on a project I have been working on and know how hard it can be.
Did you use half round for the upper 2 pannels to get the coragated look?

Great Job

I had to build the doors on a project I have been working on and know how hard it can be.
Did you use half round for the upper 2 pannels to get the coragated look?

No, I used squared strips and the ribs got rounded when I painted the door with primer. That was luck because I was a little batherd by that but I didn't like the half-rounds because they don't look right. The primer really make it look good except I now see the areas the ribs are not straight.
Dave

Back