My adventures in Ho Scale.

Made a little progress over the last couple of days. This is the part of the mainline that goes through the backdrop and will be hidden. It will come out of a tunnel and do a long in the mountains run.

IMG_0998.jpeg
IMG_0997.jpeg

About your jigsaw comment…. I actually find cheaper blades work best, but have to be changed more often. Also spm is an issue, i like variable speed jigsaws that max out at least 2000spm, higher is better though. Gently push through the cut, don’t force it 😉. Love the progress, looks good!

A sander would also help to get rid of the rough edges too.
I figure a couple of passes with 100 grit will take most of that away. Then with paint and ballast will hide the rest.

I am going to try and find a better blade. First time using this new jigsaw, so I'm using the blades that came with it. I have tons of other blades for the old one, but they are U-shank, and the new one is T-shank. :(

I figure a couple of passes with 100 grit will take most of that away. Then with paint and ballast will hide the rest.

I am going to try and find a better blade. First time using this new jigsaw, so I'm using the blades that came with it. I have tons of other blades for the old one, but they are U-shank, and the new one is T-shank. :(
As your cutting ply a I would suggest using a Bosch T101AO jigsaw blade, (yes, I had to go look it up in my DIY account, it's been a while) it's designed for use with Ply, I got a set when I started my layout and cuts were very clean.

And remember if the ply is vibrating while you cut it will cause bad edges, but I know you know that already.

A jig saw isn’t something I use much, when that’s the case, yeah, I get the cheap stuff every time lol
My old man a self taught carpenter and joiner, and made a decent living too.
He lived by the motto, you buy cheap, you buy crap, you build crap.
Buy good quality, you buy a good build everytime.

I still use his old Black&Decker Hammer drill, and that's pushing 50+ years old now.

As your cutting ply a I would suggest using a Bosch T101AO jigsaw blade, (yes, I had to go look it up in my DIY account, it's been a while) it's designed for use with Ply, I got a set when I started my layout and cuts were very clean.

And remember if the ply is vibrating while you cut it will cause bad edges, but I know you know that already.
I'm going to give the Bosch blades a go. Seems many woodworking sites recommend them as well; The Diablo blades rank up there too.

I have a Diablo blade in my circular saw that's been going strong for many years.

Back