Most significant diesel electric locomotive of all time..

The "T" stood for twin. They were originally marketed as semi permanently coupled A-B sets. These were the first diesel locomotives that proved that they could run head to head with steam locomotives for not only passenger service, but could also handle freight trains on main line service.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Montanan...and all....Great photo by the way.....Prompts this additional question/s....With the EMD...does the F3 come before one of the most agreed significant diesels , the F7...Until recently I would have thought so but our well educated and informed thread contributors have cited other cases where a locomotive number is not always what it appears as a numerical sequence of models..and with the E series .....E comes before F...same thing...were the F7s etc before or after the E's...I have been looking up the ALCO RS series too...I see what many of you say...they were a great forerunner to what's on the line now...Cheers Rod

I am going from memory here, so I could be a bit off. The series started with the FT units. Next was the F3. After that came the F-7 and the FP-7. The P designated passenger and was equipped with steam generators. Then came the F-9 and the FP-9. The last of the series was the FL-9. The FL-9 was used by the New Haven and was a dual power locomotive which could run off of the diesel engine, or pick up power from a third rail. The FL-9 units were passed on to the Penn Central after electrification was dropped by the New Haven. E units were mainly used for passenger service and was a different locomotive riding on three axle truck versus 2 axle trucks that the F units had.

G'day Montanan....This is awesome info...Thankyou....It's really interesting to see where all this came from..and the relevance of the model codes etc...In a way it's a bit like military aircraft designations...Anything with an F in front , has to be a fighter jet, regardless of which manufacturer supplied the aircraft..and other codes further designated the aircraft after that..The same with bombers ..The B is always the letter that distinguishes it as a bomber carrying heavy ordinence and any additional code letters or numbers further designate it's role..SO re Electro Motive Division...with SD ....Special Duties...GP General Purpose... T meaning Twin....W meaning Widecab...etc etc... I suppose a GE (General Electric) AC 6000 is Alternating Current and 6000 is rated horsepower and re the older Dash 8s...They had two variants...The 8-40 BW...40 signifying 4000hp the B being two twin axle traction motors and the W meaning Wide cab...then the 8-40 CW..all the rest the same except using a 6 axle drive instead of four..Any idea what the RS in ALCO locos meant ..The P in an FP 40 etc AMTRAK.."passenger" train...Really great stuff ..thanks again..Cheers Rod..

You're right. I believe the F-2's were B-B units if I remember correctly. Hey, I'm old and have old timers disease.

Any idea what the RS in ALCO locos meant ..The P in an FP 40 etc AMTRAK.."passenger" train...Really great stuff ..thanks again..Cheers Rod..
RS=Road Switcher.
FP= Full Cowl Passenger.

ALCo didn't start naming their stuff for quite a while. The PA was simply known as "2000 hp Passenger Diesel. It was railroads and foamers (railroad buffs) that started the designations. The RS11, IIRC, was known as a DL701.

Just a couple of things... The F-2's were an intermediate between the FT and the F-3's. The Burlington Route had a few F-2A's and use them with F-3A's and B's. They weren't too common, and I can't tell you the exact differences. Probably minor internal changes. Some F-3's (notably the ones the "Q" used on the California Zephyr) did have steam boilers to heat the passenger cars, but their water tank capacity was limited. By stretching the F-7A's to accomodate larger boiler water tanks, the result was the FP-7A. They were used with F-7B's where greater pulling power was required. Same with the FP-9's. In the E-unit catagory, there were a small number of EA's, used by, some roads. Perhaps the more unique passenger units were the E-5's used exclusively by the Burlington. How were these different? They were basically E-6's, but with a slightly different engine room window location. The most recognizable difference was the fluted stainless steel side panels located below the windows. These were intended to mimic the fluted stainless steel bodies of the original Pioneer Zephyrs. The nose came to a point like the E-6's. The "Q" bought mostly A (cab) units, but also had some cabless "B" units which they m.u.'d with the A's as horsepower demands required. The reason some railroads utililized F's for passenger service had to do with traction versus speed requirements dictated by terrain. E's, with their A-1-A trucks generally rode more smoothly, especially at higher speeds.

there were a small number of EA's, used by, some roads.
Santa Fe and B&O as I recall.

Perhaps the more unique passenger units were the E-5's used exclusively by the Burlington. How were these different? They were basically E-6's, but with a slightly different engine room window location. The most recognizable difference was the fluted stainless steel side panels located below the windows.
They had goofy looking skirts over the wheels originally too, soon removed. The Silver Challenger, Silver Charger, Silver Speed, Silver Comet, can't remember the rest. Technically they were owned by three railroads all of the Hill Lines, all part of the "Burlington Route" - CB&Q, C&S, and FW&D.

The C&S fried all the traction motors in theirs by attempting to use them in drag freight service after the Texas Zephyr was taken out of service in 1967. The slow 20 mph max speed over Monument Pass was just more than they could handle. I've seen photos of all 5 of the C&S - FW&D E5s consisted together on a coal train. What a sad end to one of the most graceful of all the Es.

Here is a photo of one from RailPictures.net. Photo taken in my home town of Pueblo.
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/4/0/0/1400.1339536735.jpg

Yes the E-5's were gorgeous loco's. My friend here who is a CB&Q modeler, Has the Aeolus, and the E-5 from IIRC Nickel Plate products, both are nickel plated. I had to restore the Aelous, as it had some bad tarnish occurring, and was looking dull. After I decaled it and sealed it, in its nice new appearing plating, he was extremely pleased.

I installed a tsunami in the E-5 and again he was very pleased. Nice and crisp sound. His model still has the skirts on it, and several times the solder broke and the skirt had to be re-attached. Can't really take them off as there are mounting lugs on the brake cylinders that are really distracting if the skirts are left off.

When I first got into model railroading and N scale in late 2011, I was reading about the EMD FT, that it came on the scene in 1939, and I was stunned because until then I didn't realize the iconic bulldog/bullnose locomotive dated that far back. I regularly rode on passenger trains pulled by EMD F or E locomotives before I was ten years old in the late 1950's-early 60's.....which at that age was quite thrilling....so began a life long appreciation for outstanding machines.

Back to 2012....for my first N scale locomotive(s)....decided I wanted an intermountain FT A+B set. I combed the internet for days looking for FT's on vendor sites and thought I would need to pay around $140 minimum per new A+B. Well after looking for awhile I found a site called TNT trains in Iowa. They had two intermountain FT sets. One EMD demo set and one Boston-Maine set......and get this.....brand new only $82.50 total per A+B set! I thought it was a misprint but it was for real! I was going nuts because I had to wait two weeks before I could pay for them......thought they would surely be sold by then.

But I was real lucky and ended up getting both of those sets and they run so nice! I couldn't believe those gems were left unpicked just for me. It was a great way to begin the hobby with a good omen like that. :D

Whoops......I veered off topic a little bit.......but at least FT's are on topic.

Nscale022_zpsda88c566.jpg

Back