Modern switchers

Motley

OK since I am still waiting for Atlas to release the Gensets, I was in search for a modern switcher. What would be some models available, preferably with DCC & sound that would fit modern present era?

I use the same thing the prototype yard near here uses. SD40-2's and a couple a couple of SD45's that were rebuilt to SD40-3's. The smallest loco they have there is a GP40-2 but it hardly ever moves as far as I can tell.

Oh I didn't know the MP15-DCs were a modern switcher?. When were they built? Do you guys see them currently?

Last time I was at Caboose hobbies, they had a bunch of Atlas MP15 DCs with sound, I think I will pick one up.

What would you consider the latest and greatest commonly used switcher used today? (That would have a model available).

What would you consider the latest and greatest commonly used switcher used today? (That would have a model available).

In large yards there may be an actual switcher engine such as the MP15, however in other yards, more commonly something like a GP38-2 would be used to sort cars around. Plenty of models for those.

At Neff yard in KC I've seen MP15, SD38-2, SD40-2, GP15-1 plus I'm sure others are used.
KCS uses mostly SW1500 in KC.

I am modeling a modern UP BNSF type LA switching layout and also have some Gensets on order .I splashed out on a Genesis SP bloody nose MP15AC with sound and all those lights .OK ,its about 30 odd years too old and out of time and place but I like em and I may well make my layout loosely era jumping between the mid 70's and today which probably wont be too difficult as most of the industries seem to have been there a while in different guises and I dont plan to make them product specific anyway ..I have also just obtained a Santa Fe GP60M which I think are now used as switchers around LA though as I live billions of miles away I am not around to personally check it out .I have to get some sound and ditch lights for the GP 60 M .Its a fine model though .The Gensets will be my main switchers .I will have to get a sound system for them too when they are made:)

OK I found a GP38-2 U.P. available at Caboose hobbies. I think I will pick one up. Anyone have any experience install a Tsunami decoder in one of these?

It looks like they have the TSU-1000 EMD645 non-Turbo for this.

I guess it's a replacement plug you have to solder all the wires? I attempted this before with an Athearn and fried the decoder.

Hopefully the install with go smoother this time. ;)

athearn's gp38 is basically a refreshed older BB. it does not have quick plug for Decoder. you will have to solder everything in

If they don't have Gensets they'll often use MP15s and GP15-1s. Some railroads though repurpose older road locomotives. Like for years Santa Fe used stuff like GP35s and GP38s with their turbochargers removed and UP sometimes uses older SD40-2s.

What I really need to do is just go down to the U.P.'s Denver North Yard and see what they are using.

What I really need to do is just go down to the U.P.'s Denver North Yard and see what they are using.

that's always a good excuse! Actually, UP will move available equipment around to consolidate various types/models in a single area for maintenance reasons. The also moved a lot of older BB power from California a few years back to avoid environmental issues, which was a bonus for us in Houston as we saw things like B30s for a lot longer that most folks.

Here, we now see UP using 2-3 de-turbo'd SD40-2 (often relabelled as SD38-2) in hump service and MP15AC (or DC, not sure) in flatland yard switching. yard-to-yard runs often have a pair of the kinda-sorta genset looking MP1500 or GP15/20. GP15-1 seem to have disappeared from this area. We have a few gensets.

You can bet however that as soon as you decide which one you will use, they'll change.....

OK well, since I have seen alot of MP15s mentioned here, and the fact I would have to install a decoder in the GP38, I think I will just go get the Atlas MP15DC w/sound.

Thanks everybody for all the help and suggestions!

(I'm still going to yard for some railfaning) ;)

Back