model power lights.

jfb

I am adding a dozen model power parking lot lights or alley lights right now. I need to know since they are not noted, which wire is positive and which is negative? the other model power highway, street lights I have were noted and work excellent. :confused::confused:

Every Model Power lamp post I am aware of uses incandescent bulbs, so there is no positive vs negative lead. It just doesn't matter. You can always verify that by testing one or two of the lamp posts. Out of curiosity - what model number are your lights?

I use Model Power lights as well and as Kevin has said - there is no dedicated positive or negative wire from them. You can connect either up to either terminal and they will work.

kevin I do not have the numbers on me but they look like old style alley lights and close to older factory yard lights. I found these brand new for a buck a piece at a train swap meet. I noticed this after walthers came out with the new style and they came from nos from a hobby shop and marked that way and thanks I do not want mistakes especially in wiring. jfb.

this is a tid bit for anybody scoop up any model power lights you can the newer light manufacturers lights are nice but expensive usually around 25 bucks for 1. I bought all the model power highway lights I could last year in Chicago and spent roughly 55 bucks and received over 20 lights and quite a few double lights. model power I guess cares about the consumer and truly does and there product and prices are always on target. take this to heart it could get worse in pricing later.

jfb,

While you are right about Model Power lights being cheaper, I think it is mainly because they are incandescent where as all of the newer more expensive lights are either LED or Fiber Optic and are more to scale than the Model Power lights.

Don't get me wrong, I use Model Power lights because they are cheaper and I think they are good for what they are, not to mention the incandescent lights do seem to be more realistic, light wise, than the LED variety.

I also agree that many of the other manufacturers lights ARE over priced, no matter what they are.

I have purchased from this ebay based Chinese company before. wehonest_cn.

example - http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-HO-scale-Model-Lampposts-2-heads-Lamps-6V-street-lights-R14-7-/150532610167?hash=item230c715877:m:m4h5upQgdBmucoQGQ3M4ydA"

They have all sorts of street lights. Some of them look, ummm, ummm awkward, no umm misproportioned or a bit out of scale, but for the price.... And even cheaper by the gross. I believe that the ones I purchased were the lots of 25 as that was the best price point without having 10 units left over.

Last edited by a moderator:
horseman I hear you obviously you shop around, I do it to it never hurts and homework is free the last time I checked. I believe that the model power lights look correct and are scale height and for smaller areas I use life like lights they are round and were used until about 10 years ago but I can be wrong. I try to stay away from online shopping the cyber crimes today can be horrendous. I check around from October through February for train swap meets and plan accordingly.

I also understand the parts traffic through the swap meets and know when to go to them usually august through December in January the products drop off that need to be bought.

Back