Model or real photo?

AllenB

Someone's layout or Winston Links photo? IMG_0232.JPG

I vote for an amazing imitation of O. Winston Link's style of photography! O. Winston Link had a unique mastery of night time photography and was well known for his shots of Norfolk and Western trains.

This being a Pennsylvania loco makes me lean towards the model shot on a layout. Albeit, a very good one. Being a shot of a railroad other than the N&W doesn't preclude it being the genuine article, though!

That's a model. The little painted plastic person fishing with a toothpick for a fishing pole in his hand is a giveaway.

I'm sure there are other views of this scene in the member's photo albums on here. They come up in the random ones at the top of the page occasionally.

My wife got me a calendar with Mr Winstons photos and I have kept it because I would like to frome them and hang them in the basement. He took some incredible photos.

Model. Fisherman looked to thick and stiff. No water hoses from engine to tender. No wisps of steam or smoke. By the 1950's the PRR K4's would be filthy. I think the K4's were all retired by 1956-7.

The lack of steam; or, smoke suggests to me that this is a model. However, I don't feel a need to pick every detail apart, suffice to say it is a very nice photo!

If you look carefully at the base of the righthand support for the overpass, you will see two fishermen, one lolling on the grass and the other with a pole and line in the water. Granting it could be a warm night, this and the lack of smoke or even motion, I'd vote for "model". I agree, however, it is an excellent photo! :)

Back