Mirrors

Jannie

I'm pondering with the idea of using mirrors in certain places on my layout......like at the dead end of a viaduct etc....
Whom have or are using mirrors in your layout?Care to share pics please......thanx...Jannie

I'm pondering with the idea of using mirrors in certain places on my layout......like at the dead end of a viaduct etc....
Whom have or are using mirrors in your layout?Care to share pics please......thanx...Jannie

Hi Jannie, yes a mirror can add a lot of pleasing effects if positioned properly, but also can result in unwanted effects if not positioned to prevent it.
In the example below the mirror provides a very believable and pleasing scene by adding a depth to the scenery.
However when the little street car is in the intersection, well you'll get the idea :D

Click-->
th_100-0004_IMG.jpg

Cheers
Willis

Very nice Willis, had to look pretty hard to figure out where the mirror is!

I use a mirror called "scientific mirror" also used as one way glass.
In the first pic the ordinary side of the glass is held up to the styrene road, in the second pic the coated side is held against it.
You'll notice the gap is visible on the ordinary side but not on the coated side.

The third pic is two mirrors angled at ninety degrees to create an intersection, although they are not positioned right in the photo you'll get the idea.
When they are secured in place the seams disappear.
There is only one truck in that pic but you see two trucks. The cool thing is you can have a trailer with one name on it and a truck with another to really sell the illusion!

Yeah Rico.....^that is a very interesting way of using mirrors......quite clever indeed......I'm in the works of extending my layout to a switching yard to the one side of the layout ( 3 meters in length ) & then putting a mirror at the end & giving the illusion of the track going on for another 3 meters ;)

I have used Mirrors the same way Rico has. look at this pic. I placed the mirror at the corner of the building so that when looking thru the underpass it looks like the street made a 90 deg turn. the truck hides the rest of the stuff that you dont want people to see. It looks very real to the untrained eye. I also did this on a road way that had a curve in it and ended at the wall. When you put the mirror on the wall it looks like the road continues around the bend. Play with them and you will see how they can work for you:)

I have one large mirror that I'm adding several smaller ones to along one wall. This an old photo. I plan on edging it with a large flat on the front edge.

Back