Mantua Mikado rebuild

JohnnyB

I'm having trouble putting back my Mikado, it's been apart for 20-25 yrs , it needed a new gear on the wheels. I picked up the wheels with the gear and put everything back together. The problem I'm having is when I put the engine on the tracks it starts to go for a second or so then my overload indicator comes on on my power pack. Tested the motor off the engine and it works fine. This engine is from the early 80s. The first steam engine my father bought me. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

I'm having trouble putting back my Mikado, it's been apart for 20-25 yrs , it needed a new gear on the wheels. I picked up the wheels with the gear and put everything back together. The problem I'm having is when I put the engine on the tracks it starts to go for a second or so then my overload indicator comes on on my power pack. Tested the motor off the engine and it works fine.
Is the drive train binding? Can you roll it smoothly down the track without the motor installed? I'm thinking the newly geared wheel is not properly quartered.

Is the drive train binding? Can you roll it smoothly down the track without the motor installed? I'm thinking the newly geared wheel is not properly quartered.[/QUOT Ok I just took out motor and it does not roll easy. It's binding on something, it will roll an inch or 2 then lock up

Ok I just took out motor and it does not roll easy. It's binding on something, it will roll an inch or 2 then lock up
Ok, When you pressed the wheel back onto the axle, did you make certain the connection for the side rods on each side exactly lined up with the existing connections on the other wheels? That is usually the most common cause of a bind. My guess is you are going to have to press the wheel off and re-position it.

Ok, When you pressed the wheel back onto the axle, did you make certain the connection for the side rods on each side exactly lined up with the existing connections on the other wheels? That is usually the most common cause of a bind. My guess is you are going to have to press the wheel off and re-position it.
I purchased the gear already on a set of wheels. I compared it to the gear that was worn out and they match up exactly. The screw holes are exact on both.Would it make a difference if I turned the wheels with the gear around? The linkage doesn't seem to be binding to bad where it would not run.The overload light still comes on almost immediately.

I purchased the gear already on a set of wheels. I compared it to the gear that was worn out and they match up exactly. The screw holes are exact on both.Would it make a difference if I turned the wheels with the gear around? The linkage doesn't seem to be binding to bad where it would not run.The overload light still comes on almost immediately.
Hmmm, no should not make any difference turning the wheel around. Here are two other ideas things to do/try. 1. With the motor not installed, power it up then pinch the shaft to see how much pressure it takes to trip the overload light. That will demonstrate how hard is turning/working when installed. 2. Have you tried to run the locomotive with out the side rods and drive rods in place. Will the driving wheel spin by itself? If so that eliminates a worm gear meshing to tight problem.

Hmmm, no should not make any difference turning the wheel around. Here are two other ideas things to do/try. 1. With the motor not installed, power it up then pinch the shaft to see how much pressure it takes to trip the overload light. That will demonstrate how hard is turning/working when installed. 2. Have you tried to run the locomotive with out the side rods and drive rods in place. Will the driving wheel spin by itself? If so that eliminates a worm gear meshing to tight problem.
First , thanks for taking the time to help me out, I have had a layout for over 40yrs. This is the first time I have been unable to solve a problem with an engine. I have tried running the steamer without the rods connected and still the overload light comes on. I can spin the motor and it seems to mesh fine with the worm gear and wheel gear move freely . I'll give it another try pinching the shaft. This thing ran pretty well yrs ago

Turning the wheels around will cause problems. One side is insulated and all insulated wheels have to be on the same side. Turning one set around will cause an immediate short (overload). Also insure that the insulated wheels on the tender are on the opposite side to the insulated wheels on the engine.

Back