Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

This came in today by USPS (snail mail).......Walthers 932-7104 Wisconsin Central #21549 Gunderson 50' hi-cube paper box car

In Wisconsin, Paper producers like using the Wisconsin Central to transport their products since the Wisconsin Central box cars were relatively water proof and free of graffiti. Many of the Wisconsin Central box cars were once SOO Line rolling stock and repainted to the Wisconsin Central maroon colors and reporting marks.

The Black Friday Mikado's have arrived. I wanted to get the whole set but even at black friday prices I had to settle for one road version and one yard version..... Broadway Limited Paragon 4.
Mikados.jpg

This came in today by USPS (snail mail).......Walthers 932-7104 Wisconsin Central #21549 Gunderson 50' hi-cube paper box car

View attachment 136649View attachment 136650View attachment 136651View attachment 136652
The Wisconsin Central Ltd was a great run railroad and completely turned the fortunes of The Valley Sub in Central Wisconsin around. Is it any wonder that a well run railroad with better customer service can bring about a change. The WC proved it day in and day out. And then sold out to the CN Borg.

It will always have a special place in my modeling heart.

TomO

The Wisconsin Central Ltd was a great run railroad and completely turned the fortunes of The Valley Sub in Central Wisconsin around. Is it any wonder that a well run railroad with better customer service can bring about a change. The WC proved it day in and day out. And then sold out to the CN Borg.

It will always have a special place in my modeling heart.

TomO

These arrived earlier in the week supposedly to go with a Union-Pacific SD40-2 that will arrive later in the week until I realised, totally wrong time period, but then, it's my railroad, so what the heck. Need to sort out the gangways, find interiors and also replacement metal wheels, (I'm not a fan of plastic wheels). If I can get the interiors, install some lighting too.

Attachments

• Harriman.jpg
    Harriman.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 85
Smudge,
Any chance of getting some pics of your layout?
It's not very good compared to you guy's, (the word crap comes to my mind) but in my defence, only been doing this hobby for two yrs and had/have a lot to learn :) So I have a long way to go. Especially on the basics like scenery, track laying, electrical wiring etc. which I find difficult to do as I have very poor motor control of my hands. (the tunnel took me 3 months to build)
The lighting doesn't show up very well as the basic idea was a end of line country station with goods/shunt yard and turntable, so it's supposed to be "old" lighting, and quite dim, which would be correct for the era I started to build, which was 1930's steam.
Now it seems to have got away from me, and I have American HO running as well.
The board is 7'8 X 4'00 and split in half, so it can fold up against the wall when not in use.

Attachments

• Layout1.jpg
    Layout1.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Layout2.jpg
    Layout2.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 96
Wonderful layout. Congrats. I think you used Hornby stuff (and maybe Peco?).
Yes, nearly everything is Hornby, I intended to use seep under surface motors on all the turnouts, but it took me several hours to fit just one, after the fourth one, I gave up and just used surface motors. I've used Peco surface motors on some turnouts, they a have a lower profile, due to my lack of space I couldn't use Hornby motors, not enough clearance for the loco's, they would catch the motor as they turned because I had to position them on the wrong side of the turnout.

It's not very good compared to you guy's, (the word crap comes to my mind) but in my defence, only been doing this hobby for two yrs and had/have a lot to learn :) So I have a long way to go. Especially on the basics like scenery, track laying, electrical wiring etc. which I find difficult to do as I have very poor motor control of my hands. (the tunnel took me 3 months to build)
The lighting doesn't show up very well as the basic idea was a end of line country station with goods/shunt yard and turntable, so it's supposed to be "old" lighting, and quite dim, which would be correct for the era I started to build, which was 1930's steam.
Now it seems to have got away from me, and I have American HO running as well.
The board is 7'8 X 4'00 and split in half, so it can fold up against the wall when not in use.
It looks freakin awesome to me ! Mine is still bare wood, so mine is the crap territory, not yours!

It looks freakin awesome to me ! Mine is still bare wood, so mine is the crap territory, not yours!
No, your a Modeller, your planning the layout, even if it's just in your head, doing research on the area you intend to model, all takes time, just building the baseboard will take weeks if not months of planning and then building, between work, family and having a life, at a guess you'll spend only a few hours a week in your train room.

I've spent 17 months at home, between lockdowns and some unexpected health issues, so I've been able to spend months with nothing else to do but my layout., no distraction, no wife or kids. I'm an enthusiastic enthusiast, nothing more, and I did mine all arse backwards, laid track and then worked out what could go where, not the greatest way of doing it, as you all know, and I found out, like I said learning curve. But I look at what you guys create and I'm gobsmacked at all the details, and know I'm so way out my league.

Last edited:
No, your a Modeller, your planning the layout, even if it's just in your head, doing research on the area you intend to model, all takes time, just building the baseboard will take weeks if not months of planning and then building, between work, family and having a life, at a guess you'll spend only a few hours a week in your train room.

I've spent 17 months at home, between lockdowns and some unexpected health issues, so I've been able to spend months with nothing else to do but my layout., no distraction, no wife or kids. I'm an enthusiastic enthusiast, nothing more, and I did mine all arse backwards, laid track and then worked out what could go where, not the greatest way of doing it, as you all know, and I found out, like I said learning curve. But I look at what you guys create and I'm gobsmacked at all the details, and know I'm so way out my league.
Do not be discouraged, we all started at the bottom when it comes to layouts. I am on my 4th or 5th one and well it's just a temporary one until I can build my garage extension. Nonetheless the point is we only get better with practice and working and learning from others as well as our own expirience. There are so many factors that play into the layout bulding. Just be proud of what you have and accomplished! It looks fantastic! Some people don't even have a shelf layout or one at all.....so theres that....

I just snagged off FB marketplace (5) cars (3) MLW cars (2) 50' modern boxcars modern & (1) PS-1 50 footer and (1) MLW covered cement hopper and (1) GBW 50' box car older 70s style. Cool beans! 10 bucks each all Kadees and metal wheels no broken parts! Will have it by Monday!

Here is the result of the cars I mentioned previously....they came today by FedEx....

3 cars are Athearns, 1 car is an Accurail and 1 car is an Atlas......not bad no damage except one car on the Athearn is missing one lower stirrup step ladder which will get a new one added as I have a large supply of replacement ones. No biggie! Also I stand corrected not all of them have kadees or metal wheels :( but I can deal with making the upgrades......kinda like the 100,0000th PS-1 car ...... pretty cool. I have seen these before but never had an opportunity to get one until now.

20211212_200010.jpg
20211212_200410.jpg
20211212_200609.jpg
20211212_200624.jpg
20211212_200637.jpg
20211212_200846.jpg
20211212_201002.jpg

Here is the result of the cars I mentioned previously....they came today by FedEx....

3 cars are Athearns, 1 car is an Accurail and 1 car is an Atlas......not bad no damage except one car on the Athearn is missing one lower stirrup step ladder which will get a new one added as I have a large supply of replacement ones. No biggie! Also I stand corrected not all of them have kadees or metal wheels :( but I can deal with making the upgrades......kinda like the 100,0000th PS-1 car ...... pretty cool. I have seen these before but never had an opportunity to get one until now.

View attachment 136827View attachment 136828View attachment 136829View attachment 136830View attachment 136831View attachment 136832View attachment 136833

View attachment 136827View attachment 136828View attachment 136829View attachment 136830View attachment 136831View attachment 136832View attachment 136833
Just out of interest, what size metal wheels do you fit on your rolling stock?

Back