Magazine Subscription

Ken W

Asked for a subscription for Christmas and was told that was a stupid present and I should just get one. Looking for opinions as to the best N scale one out there. I looked at Model Railroader after a long hiatus and was disappointed with the number of ads and little actual material. Recommendations and why?

Thanks,

Asked for a subscription for Christmas and was told that was a stupid present and I should just get one. Looking for opinions as to the best N scale one out there.

I looked at Model Railroader after a long hiatus and was disappointed with the number of ads and little actual material.
That surprises me because it has shed about 30 pages of ads over the last two decades. I rather liked the ads. My disappointment with the articles is that they are more like picture books for grade schoolers rather than having written content that is more in depth.

Unfortunately I've not modeled in N-scale for many years so cannot comment on which n-scale magazine would be best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out http://www.nscalemagazine.com/ This is a magazine totally devoted to N scale modeling with some really good articles. If you are just starting in the hobby it may be a little advanced but it will have you up to speed fairly quickly. It's published six times a year and the issue I have in front of me has 64 pages. As said, it is N scale cover to cover with a good mix of advertisements and articles.

Another site to check is http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine This is a free E-zine and is published once a month. It is a mix of articles on a wide variety of topics with a mix of scales. Lots of great photos and most all of the articles relate to all scales, so just because it is written about O scale doesn't preclude using the info for N scale modeling. You can download the present issue, as well as past issues, to your computer or tablet all for FREE.

http://www.spookshow.net/locos.html is another site that is a wealth of info pertaining to N scale locos and there is a section on rolling stock and other topics. Definitely worth a look before buying any older locos.

All of this should get you well versed in the N scale model railroad world fairly quickly. Good luck and have fun!

Bob,

N Scale Magazine is a contender. I've bought quite a few of their issues already. I've also downloaded most of the MRH issues and I like that one a lot, especially the ability to link to web sites right from it.

Haven't seen the other, but I'll take a look.

Thanks.

I asked for and got a subscription to n-scale magazine from my 15 yo daughter. My layout was displayed in an issue back in the early 90's. Building new 11x16 layout now. Hope I can get in another issue in the future.

N Scale also has all their back issues on CD in 5 year blocks. N Scale Railroading is the other N scale specific magazine. NS and NSR are quite similar in content. I buy both , but if I was subscribing I'd probably try to pick one.

Back