Made some progress on the layout

BN8002

Did someone say B-unit?
Made some progress this weekend on my layout. Got the helix about half built and about 1/3 of the track layed on it. Once I get the helix finished I can glue all the track on the layout.

I like the redi-rod thing, makes adjustments easier for sure!
how many teirs are you going with? Is the layout on the other side of that wall where the tracks disappear?

I like the redi-rod thing, makes adjustments easier for sure!
how many teirs are you going with? Is the layout on the other side of that wall where the tracks disappear?
yea, the all thread makes it much easier to adjust the height..just 5/16 all thread with nuts and washers to make adjustments..

its officially a 2-1/2 turn... so it will have 3 tiers on the front and sides, the back will have only 2...2% grade to go about 15 inches vertically. They layout is on the otherside of that wall..

well I can't take the credit for thinking up the idea of the all thread..I had seen it before on helix's and in general layout construction..and when I was debating on how to construct my helix my dad brought this again to my attention. I liked the idea and took a stab at it..its actually made construction really easy. Thank you for the kind words though

well, we finished the helix today, sans wiring. all the track is down, jsut need to wait for the weather to heat up and adjust for any expansion. I plan to drop feeders tomorrow, but no guarentees.....grade ended up being jsut a hair over 2%..b i'm very happy with how it turned out...first helix I have ever built. All thread definately made grade adjustments very easy

What a clever feat of engineering, BN! :)
You should be designing freeways.

I dont have my head up my ass so I can't do freeway design in the Los Angeles area

thanks anyway though :D

I'm actually rather proud of myself..it came out really well..so I cant complain at all

I dont have my head up my ass so I can't do freeway design in the Los Angeles area

Aw, c'mon! There's nothing wrong with the freeways in LA. It's just the cars on them. ;)

(Actually, my son always drives me around when I'm in LA, so the 5 doesn't aggravate me at all. :p)

Aw, c'mon! There's nothing wrong with the freeways in LA. It's just the cars on them. ;)

(Actually, my son always drives me around when I'm in LA, so the 5 doesn't aggravate me at all. :p)

haha..no doubt all the morons driving onthem dont help the situation...

Finally got the layout running...2 years of work..but its fully operational..double deck switching layout..exits through the wall into the garage to access the helix

IMG_01603.jpg

IMG_01613.jpg

IMG_01622.jpg

Thanks..testing all the electrical now..once I know everything works its down to naming industries and getting car cards and waybills going..then scenery

Making it work right seems to be the hardest thing lol.

---
- Sent from my phone

yea, no joke at all..i found that I screwed up when I built my throttles..only comes into play on the reversing section..and I have a dead spot I dont understand why its there but I know what I'm going to do to fix it

I figured I'd update this thread versus starting a new one. My layout is 100% operational and has been for some time now. I just started doing a little ballasting and scenery work. That had taken a back seat to getting the car card and waybill system up and running and having actual operating sessions. The layout is loosely based on the Tower 55 area of Ft. Worth, Tx. I incorporated 3 railroads, (BN, CRI&P, and MP) and the layout is all industrial switching and yard transfers)

This is the upper level BN industrial area.
IMG_7689.png

This is the lower level BN yard.
IMG_7690.png

On the lower level is the BN engine facility and the upper level shows some of the BN and MP industries. Just above the 40' SP&S caboose is the enterance to the gargae where my helix is.
IMG_7691.png

This is my staging yard. The rear two tracks are for the BN, the front three are for the RI and MP
IMG_7692.png

This is on the other side of the aisle. Ont he lower level you have the RI yard on the left and the grain elevator ont he right with a couple more induistries. The upper level shows the MP yard.
IMG_7693.png

This is looking back towards the previous photo, showing both engine facilities.
IMG_7694.png

This shows the diamonds on the lower level where the RI and BN cross. The RI side is also MP's access to the staging yard. The upper level shows some of the MP industries.
IMG_7695.png

and this is the other access point to the garage and helix.
IMG_7696.png

The fascia is masonite that I painted and its attached using small finish nails

Back