Looking for prototype pics

rlundy90

Armchair Engineer
I recieved a Sylvan Scale Models CPR Eight hatch aluminum hopper for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has or knows where I can get some prototype pics of this car. It is supposed to be bare aluminum with black script lettering. The numbers given with this car are#383248 and #385517. Only pics I can find are with the old red triangle inside the white circle. Any help would be appreciated. I've been looking for three days and can't find a thing. Thanks Ron.

Hi Hamltn blue, Thanks for the pic. Sorry to say that is isn't the same car at all. The car I need is a cylindrical hopper. It is the forerunner to todays modern round hoppers, but was made from unpainted aluminum. The numbers on these cars were 383000-383249, 385500-385553, 384998 and 384999. They were 4 bay, 8 hatch cars. Thanks again, Ron.

HPIM6575.JPG

IMG_6360.JPG

one digit off.

I never knew these started off aluminum. the black is repaint, maybe!?!?!
there are tons of photos of them here.

*edit* i see now you are looking for the reporting marks CPR, not CP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Airslide Thanks for the pic. There must have been a mistake in the numbers that I got off of a CP website. This is a cylindrical hopper but still not the right type. The one I need has a flat top with 8 hatches. This is completely round with 4 long hatches. It is a lot closer than the last one. Maybe with some luck someone will find the right one. The owner of Sylvan Scale Models who produces the kit told me that the only prototype pics he has seen of it is in a book called Canadian Railcar Pictorial Volume 7. He says there are 2 really good pics of the car in there. Thanks for your help. Ron

Yes that is the model in the pictures. The one I have is slightly different and is made by Sylvan Scale Models. Ron

Ron those cars used to frequent the sand plant in Selkirk. Some still showed up from time to time when they changed over to Hudson Cement. I'll keep my eyes open and dig thru some old pics.
PS: There's beer in the fridge and Rye in the cupboard... give me a call over the holiaze!

Back