loco lube ?

Any plastics and paints compatible lube will do if it also has the right viscosity. So, those hobby lubes sold at hobby shops, Dextron III auto-transmission fluid, white grease,...and there are some special aerosol spray can super-lubes that claim to be good for most anything, including plastics, although yuh takes yer chances with the relative unkowns.

If you ask me, I use Dextron III for all outer works, including car axles and engine rods and valve gear, but I stick to a good grease for the inner works.

Another important tip. Keep the lube to the intended place, and use less of it. No, not even that much! If it runs anywhere because you used too much for the one application, it can be a magnet for crud and fuzz.

-Crandell

Depends on the gun oil, but some have additional chemicals to prevent barrel corrosion and fouling that are not safe for plastic. Most are a little too thick for model lubrication in any case. I really like Dextron III ATF for lubricating almost everything. It's cheap, very slippery, and clings well to plastic and metal parts. I still use some LaBelle gear frease in the gear towers for my older Athearn engines because it helps quiet them down but I use ATF for everything in my newer engines. Crandell already stated the most important point - don't overdo it. A tiny bit of ATF - like the amount on the end of a toothpick - is all you need. I've seen many more locomotives ruined from too much lube than too little.

lube

The Dextron III ATF tranny fluid is for Chevy's and won't work on my blue oval loco's. I'll have to try the FA or Mercron for mine. thanks for the tip. Using tranny fluid would be a cost savings.

I use Teflon spray lubricant for axles, side rods, et al. And the marine wheel grease, a lithium compound, for all gearing. I've always got that stuff around for the boat trailers.

Bob

The ATF bottle I bought cost me $1.26 for 1 quart. I bought the cheapest one, because, well, "it does not matter"...

Josh, I use the Teflon spray because I use it for my guns, so I have it around all of the time anyway. And the grease.......with 3 boat trailers, it's around all of the time too, in the cabinet in the garage. I guess one could consider these products as "multi-tasking". I can't see buying something else if I already have something that will work. And i do have transmission fluid in the cabinet that I could use.

One thing I've noticed about the Teflon spray. It doesn't drip. I think it's called Hoppe's Dri-Lube. And spray graphite is also another dry good lube.

If transmission fluid will work, will power steering fluid also work? The big difference in the two is that transmission fluid is designed to a higher temperature environment.

Bob

Josh, I use the Teflon spray because I use it for my guns, so I have it around all of the time anyway. And the grease.......with 3 boat trailers, it's around all of the time too, in the cabinet in the garage. I guess one could consider these products as "multi-tasking". I can't see buying something else if I already have something that will work. And i do have transmission fluid in the cabinet that I could use.

One thing I've noticed about the Teflon spray. It doesn't drip. I think it's called Hoppe's Dri-Lube. And spray graphite is also another dry good lube.

If transmission fluid will work, will power steering fluid also work? The big difference in the two is that transmission fluid is designed to a higher temperature environment.

Bob
I'm pretty sure it would.

*off-topic*
The spray graphite, where do you buy it, and how does it spray (wide, narrow, fine, ect)? If it has a tip like that of WD40, then it might make for a good lubricant for Sergent couplers. Sergent recommends a dry graphite, and says a normal pencil would work, but I found it to be slow working the pencil on...
*on topic*

In any case, if you have something, it might work. I bought the transmission fluid because I did not have anything. Just make sure its plastic safe! Don't want cracked gears (anyone with a P2K unit knows of this issue!).

I bought it at Lowes or Home Depot.. It comes in a can with a "straw" just like WD-40. I think the can is red and white with black lettering, but I could be wrong there. Good stuff and not messy at all.

The Teflon stuff I got at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section by the gun cleaning stuff. One thing to note about this stuff, it dries white. So you need to wipe the parts down when finished to remove any excess.

Bob

I've been using white Lithium grease for about 15 years on my loco's. I only use a toothpick to put it on the gears under a diesel. It doesn't drip or fall off & quiets a noisy engine down to a purr.

Back