Loco & Cars question.

Nuttman

I posted a line a few days ago and got some good advice about getting started in H O scale, and which Loco's to consider for purchase. I jumped in and today bought a Bachmann Spectrum Engine, USRA Santa Fe class, 2-10-2. Southern Railway line. I wanted to ask if the set of four Bachmann Spectrum heavy passenger cars Item #89440 marked Southern would be correct ones to use in this time period with this engine. I have a lot of studying to do, but as I am from Georgia, it looks like I am going to be modeling my first railroad from the Southern Railway line. If the passenger cars go with the time period for this Loco, I will surely be ordering them. I would like to order a caboose at the same time if some of you more knowledgeable pards out there would recommend one that would go with this set-up. Many thanks.

There is a gentleman on this form named Carey who models Southern...he can give ya some pointers. Be a little patient he will be around...he has plenty of steamers...

he goes by the froum name... Cjcrescent you could PM him if you like....

Southern, or any other railroad, would almost never have a caboose on a passenger train.

They would likely have an observation car, which woud run at the tail end of the train.

Caboose were run mainly on freight trains.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule.

Your 2-10-2 and the B'mann heavyweights are probably within the same era, at least close enough.

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks fellows,

I have learned something already. I was planning on putting together a line of freight cars later for the same loco, but I did not know that a passenger train did not have a caboose. I know that some of you fellows are probably thinking that this dufus doesn't know anything, but I promise you that I am laughing as hard as anyone. The older I get the more I can laugh at myself. I appreciate the help and will be doing a lot more research into train history and model railroading, as I am a green newbie. Many thanks.

Except in the case of nothing else available, the chances are strong that a railway would not press a 2-10-2 into service with a passenger train. These were heavy freight engines. The only railway I know that used 10-coupled engines in regular service with passenger consists is the CPR with their 2-10-4 Selkirks, and then only in the eastern Rockies where grades were steep.

For the vast majority of railroads, and the vast majority of circumstances, a 2-10-2 might come into play only as a helper on particularly bad grades when a consist was unusually heavy. Otherwise, you would have expected 4-6-2 Pacifics, 4-6-4 Hudsons, sometimes 2-8-2 Mikados, 4-8-4 Northerns, or the odd articulated such as the UP Challenger 4-6-6-4 engines as the prime motive power. The idea would have been to have an engine capable of making up speed when necessary, and that meant drivers in the 69-84" diameter range. In general, passenger engines had drivers upwards of 72" in diameter, with most of the more modern ones, those produced after 1925 or so, using drivers nearer to 80".

Well You wouldnt be the first that didnt know anything. I admit I have very limited knolege so dont feel embarrased if you have to ask. The only dumb question is one that isnt asked.
Welcome to the forum.

Crandell is right about the 2-10-2 rarely being used in passenger service. They might be used as helper engines over steep grades like Saluda Hill but they were generally limited to speeds of about 30 mph because of the pounding of the heavy main rods. However, you can still run one on your passenger train if you want to, just be aware that the real Southern wouldn't have done so. I have the Bachmann Spectrum heavyweight cars in Southern livery and they are a pretty good representation of the type of cars the Southern ran, particularly on non-named trains, right up until the late sixties. The cars track weel on curves down to 22" and are well detailed.

Depending on how much you value correct protoye equipment, you can get anything from an easy to build kit like the Athearn bay window caboose, which bears a passing resemblance to a Southen bay window caboose, or get a more difficult to build but prototypically correct kit from Wright Trak models.

There is a gentleman on this form named Carey who models Southern...he can give ya some pointers. Be a little patient he will be around...he has plenty of steamers...

he goes by the froum name... Cjcrescent you could PM him if you like....

Hey Alco-thanx for the recommendation!

The Bachmann 2-10-2 is a model of the USRA light. The Southern never had the heavy 2-10-2.

Its a very good, accurate model of this class on the Southern. But as Crandell and Jim said, SRR never pulled a passenger train with them, at least by theirselves. On Saluda Grade, average grade 4.7%, there often was two assigned to each passenger train going up the mountain. One in front of the passenger train engine, pulling, and one in back, pushing. That's 3 locos on the train, quite a sight!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back