Loco Brand Performance

Topherisme

Chris wants more hobby time!!!
So in my little collection of locos I have Atlas 6 axles, BLI 4 axles, and newly purchased BLI 6 axles. After getting some track laid I ran the Atlas and BLI 4 axle with no problems, but once I put the newly acquired BLI 6 axles on the track they were derailing at joints in turns. Went over the track and fine tuned, eradicated the vast majority of trouble spots, one area is still an issue I am dealing with. Just wondering, do you guys also see differing performance between brands? If so, what brand do you prefer as far as trouble free running on your layout (if there is such a thing even)?

So in my little collection of locos I have Atlas 6 axles, BLI 4 axles, and newly purchased BLI 6 axles. After getting some track laid I ran the Atlas and BLI 4 axle with no problems, but once I put the newly acquired BLI 6 axles on the track they were derailing at joints in turns. Went over the track and fine tuned, eradicated the vast majority of trouble spots, one area is still an issue I am dealing with. Just wondering, do you guys also see differing performance between brands? If so, what brand do you prefer as far as trouble free running on your layout (if there is such a thing even)?
Six axle units are fussier than four axles. Trackwork needs to be much better, especially in curves. Most diesels will operate on 22" radius curves, as long as there are no gaps or vertical changes in the curve. Make sure all the axles are in gauge.

I had at one time over 300 diesel engines down to about 130 now the only engine I had a problem with derailing was a Athearn SD45
One truck was warped just a little bit enough that curves or switches it would derail This was one of the old metal sideframe ones
replaced the truck no more problems
And these run fro athearn atlas bachmann trainline proto stewart intermountain and a few others they all had good and kinda not so good

However I did solder all joints in curves solder while the track is straight then curve it Don't use too much solder just enough to hold the track in place so no kinks at all never had a bad track problem

On the old Athearn blue box six axle Alco PA's, with the metal side frames, I would remove the wheels from the middle axles, leaving the gears in place. Since the axles rotated bearing on the side frames the absence of the wheels made no difference to the running of the truck mechanisms, but I had no more trouble with derailing on 18" radius curves. I have not had any trouble with the six axle LifeLike P2k E6's running on curves as tight as 20". A few other things to look at, in addition to track and turnout problems is whether there is any binding of the trucks against coupler pockets or steps as the trucks turn.

Honestly, every time I introduce a new locomotive to the layout, diesel or steam makes no difference, the newcomer finds a small section of my trackage that it doesn't like. I have to fiddle with that area, including taking up a whole length of flex one time and re-laying it and ballasting it again.

The longer frames are affected at either end by what's happening at the opposite end. Think about it: the lead truck is moving around a curve and the outer rail dips just half a mm. It's enough to let the outer flanges ride over the bearing surface of the rail and you get a derailment. This is the culprit about 80% of the time. Or, it's a frog guard that is too tight, or too wide. Or it's a wide gauge or narrow gauge halfway through the points rails. Or a low trip pin snags a guard or the frog point.

Occasionally it can be something interfering with the azimuthal swing of the trucks. It's a detail, flashing, improper assembly...warped truck....something causes insufficient swing in azimuth or tracking.

One other culprit, not that common, but it happens, is axles in gauge on one truck, but the trail if off:

<=)(=======)(=>
<==)(=======)(>
<=)(=======)(=>

You are talking diesels, but I have my old Varney 4-6-0 which goes clockwise around the track, but counterclockwise the leading trucks want to go off at the same place, a frog on a curved Peco large radius turnout. I have two of these turnouts together, everything fine over the first one but every time, regardless of speed, I can see the front trucks go up and over the wrong way. I have 15 turnouts on the layout but only one gives me grief!

This is a a 60 year old model so I cut her some slack, the easy fix was to keep it going clockwise. Don't feel like messing with the track.

Dave LASM

You are talking diesels, but I have my old Varney 4-6-0 which goes clockwise around the track, but counterclockwise the leading trucks want to go off at the same place, a frog on a curved Peco large radius turnout. I have two of these turnouts together, everything fine over the first one but every time, regardless of speed, I can see the front trucks go up and over the wrong way. I have 15 turnouts on the layout but only one gives me grief!

This is a a 60 year old model so I cut her some slack, the easy fix was to keep it going clockwise. Don't feel like messing with the track.

Dave LASM
I have noticed the same thing with a couple of my larger 6-axled diesels, the thing is I forget which one goes clockwise or anti-clockwise so I just wait till it derails (or hopefully not)
But the 2 DD40s I have traverse in either direction with no problems, which is even stranger as technically my curves are too sharp for them and should derail.

I have noticed the same thing with a couple of my larger 6-axled diesels, the thing is I forget which one goes clockwise or anti-clockwise so I just wait till it derails (or hopefully not)
But the 2 DD40s I have traverse in either direction with no problems, which is even stranger as technically my curves are too sharp for them and should derail.
As it turns out, the derail problem on the old steam loco was fixable! After reading the posts here I decided to take a closer look, and it had nothing to do with the track

321 front trucks.jpg

I just had to bend the flat piece of brass with the spring attached, to place more pressure on the leading set of wheels on this front piece. Experimenting, I bent the piece a little and now the loco follows the track very well. I previously thought the leading trucks should be somewhat level, however the back wheels don't have to be in close contact, just the front wheels. You can barely see them, anyway, however if the front ones don't stay on good the loco derails.

Turned out to be an easy fix, who would have known...

Dave LASM

Back