List of Track Planning Programs Avaialble

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Hi guys,

how about we get a list going for all the track planning programs that we know of that are available for download, weather they be free or you have to pay for them, post em here so others can easily find them in the future

If you have any comments about the programs you post, post it with your links to the software :D

Mac OS Software

Ill start it off

Since im on a Mac, and there are only 2 Track Planning Programs that i know of that are available for Mac's, ill list them both

EMPIRE EXPRESS - http://www.haddonsoftware.com/emexinfo.html

Rail Modeller - http://www.railmodeller.com/

Both are Mac only programs. Both have free trial downloads, and both you have to pay for the license for the full program.

In the end, i chose Empire Express, i felt it was easier to use, looked better, and did more. I also liked how EE does a single line for the tracks, makes the plan look better and neater, and also makes it look similar to MR layouts in there magazines and books. All in all, its the best $35 i spent on a track planning software yet :D

This is just my opinion, yours may very :D

I downloaded the free trial of anyrail.

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

Liked it so much I ended up buying it. Very easy to use, lists every kind of track, turn outs, etc then gives you a complete list with part numbers.

Designed 100% of my layout on it, printed it out and transfered it to my table. Everything lined up perfectly.

my .02

jeff

XTrkCad Free, open source, extensive libraries for most makes of track. Also includes some structure libraries. Versions for Windows and Linux.

I designed my layout with XTrkCad. It works great! And you can't beat the price.

Atlas Right Track Also free, but has Atlas track libraries only. For Windows only.

- Jeff

XTrkCad Free, open source, extensive libraries for most makes of track. Also includes some structure libraries. Versions for Windows and Linux.

- Jeff

Also has the ability to allow you to make your own custom structures, and define them into a library of their own or place them into any other library.

This can also be done with the track, so you're not limited to only the libraries present.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also has the ability to allow you to make your own custom structures, and define them into a library of their own or place them into any other library.

This can also be done with the track, so you're not limited to only the libraries present.

You can also do this in EE (Empire Express). However there are no building libraries in EE, only Track libraries. I have created Central Valley Turnouts for #8 and #9's, both lefthand's and righthands, was not hard, just modified a Atlas Turnout already in the program using the specs from Central Valley's website.

Creating buildings is also not all that difficult in EE, create a rough sketch of the building with the square or circle tool, then when you have its layout with the correct dimensions of the kit, use the marque tool and "connect the dots" around the outside edge of the building.... This will make the building one layer, which you can then delete all the other squares that you originally used to make the building......

I did custom buildings in Atlas Freeware too using the square and circle tools. Often times, they didnt have the Walthers Cornerstone Building i was after so i made my own lol

I vote for AnyRail. It is a simple drag and drop program with a library for all track manufacturers. There is no learning curve as with the CAD programs. And it supplies part numbers so you can really transfer it from paper to benchwork.

Tracking Planning Software

As an engineer with more hours of CAD time (thousands!) than I care to admit to, I examined many of the Tracking Planning packages out there. Usually in their 'demo' form, and actually purchased a couple, and of course, one was free.

I was doing this for my own self edification, so I didn't bother to formally rate them. However, this is what I found:

CADRail - Non-intuitive, poor user interface; libraries not so good for European manufacturers (especially structures); extensive documentation but the tutorials skip so many basic features that one has to wonder who the target audience was...

AnyRail - Easy to use, intuitive interface; libraries very poor for European manufacturers (especially structures, track libraries are outstanding); documentation is fairly good

XtrkCAD - Easy to use, free(!); libraries very poor, although people are making contributions; poor documentation and tutorials

3rd Plan It - Non-intuitive, poor user interface; libraries not so good for European manufacturers (especially structures); documentation is excellent

WinTrack - Easy to use, very intuitive interface (German and English); libraries excellent for Domestic and for European manufacturers (especially structures); documentation is superb, but it is in German (English coming soon)

I settled on WinTrack because I model European Railways and use hundreds of structures from manufacturers like Kibri, Vollmer, Faller, Pola, Auhagen, Trix, etc. My second choice would be Any Rail. XtrkCAD is of course free, so that becomes a high point for many users. However, you get what you pay for and compared to WinTrack, Any Rail, or CADRail..., well, it's like comparing a Ford Focus to a Maybach. Both will get you there, but one has all of the features and style that you'd expect when you pay for it.

David Martin, Ph.D.

I used "Lionel Train Town Deluxe" to simulate the trackplan and operations on my last layout. It's basically a game for kids (of all ages) but has a program to create your own layout and run trains. It is great for figuring out switching and operation scenarios.
Also great because I got it for free!

I settled on WinTrack because I model European Railways and use hundreds of structures from manufacturers like Kibri, Vollmer, Faller, Pola, Auhagen, Trix, etc. My second choice would be Any Rail. XtrkCAD is of course free, so that becomes a high point for many users. However, you get what you pay for and compared to WinTrack, Any Rail, or CADRail..., well, it's like comparing a Ford Focus to a Maybach. Both will get you there, but one has all of the features and style that you'd expect when you pay for it.

David Martin, Ph.D.

I've done a little Win Rail, our club pres has it, and I've fooled with all the others except AnyRail.

Calling WinRail a Maybach while rating the others as a Ford Focus in a somewhat biased opinion isn't it? You can't expect a product designed for the NA market to have very much European except track geometries in it at all. WinRail is designed for both, and if you ask me doesn't really serve either market as well as it should. But I happen to be on a limited income, and cannot afford any planning program that isn't free.

I use Xtrkcad, and find it the exact opposite of what you describe. Here is an early rendition of my main layout level as designed in Xtrkcad. BTW I drew and created a library of all my structures. Never know, might want to use them again.
Selma3.png

You do get what you pay for. I also have my benchwork and wiring drawn out as separate layers, as I do my other two levels.

Considering that this program used be available for purchase from Sillub Software for $79.99, and they chose to take the code to open source, and give it away for free, I'd like to see some other companies do this with a planning program with this capability.

The only other free program out there is Atlas Right Track. Having used it before Xtrkcad came along, it is a very poor program.

WinTrack vs. XtrkCAD

Hello Carey;

You misread my statement. I did not compare WinTrack as a Maybach to all other programs as Ford Focus. I was comparing Wintrack, AnyRail, CADRail and the others in my list as Maybachs compared to XtrkCAD, which I found to be the Ford Focus.

Now there is nothing wrong with the Ford Focus; in this case XtrkCAD. It serves its purpose and gives excellent value for the price one pays - nothing; it's free! Can't beat that! No need for you to take umbrage, I certainly wasn't casting aspersions on XtrkCAD. It delivers an incredible value considering it's cost.

However, one cannot realistically begin to compare it's limited feature set to any of the other programs such as WinTrack, CADRail, 3rd Plan It, ANYRail, etc. That certainly doesn't mean that XtrkCad is not a valuable and worthwhile program, and if it serves a modelers purpose, then why would someone select another program, especially when cost would be involved?

David

WinRail, never looked at it!

I've done a little Win Rail, our club pres has it, and I've fooled with all the others except AnyRail.

Calling WinRail a Maybach while rating the others as a Ford Focus in a somewhat biased opinion isn't it? You can't expect a product designed for the NA market to have very much European except track geometries in it at all. WinRail is designed for both, and if you ask me doesn't really serve either market as well as it should. But I happen to be on a limited income, and cannot afford any planning program that isn't free.

Hi Carey!

I'm guilty of the same error as you; I didn't completely read the post to which I was replying. I never evaluated or used WinRail as you stated. So I never compared WinRail to a Maybach.

To repeat, I examined XtrkCad, AnyRail, WinTrack, 3rd Plan It, and CADRail. I actually purchased full versions of CADRail and WinTrack, so I was willing to put my money on the table.

My evaluations, as clearly stated in my post, were for my own self edification; they were not meant to be a comprehensive survey. So my opinion therefore, is biased, as I was performing the evaluation for myself and my usage.

David

Hi Carey!

I'm guilty of the same error as you; I didn't completely read the post to which I was replying. I never evaluated or used WinRail as you stated. So I never compared WinRail to a Maybach.

To repeat, I examined XtrkCad, AnyRail, WinTrack, 3rd Plan It, and CADRail. I actually purchased full versions of CADRail and WinTrack, so I was willing to put my money on the table.

My evaluations, as clearly stated in my post, were for my own self edification; they were not meant to be a comprehensive survey. So my opinion therefore, is biased, as I was performing the evaluation for myself and my usage.

David

David, I mistyped, I meant WinTrack. Our pres also has winrail and what he uses it for must be a secret. He was using it to do something on the layout, but didn't tell me what he was doing.

The only "capability" that I find "missing" in Xtrkcad, is a good scenery planner and lack of a 3D view. The program also has 51 parameter files, which are all the track geometries, by maker, currently available and several structure files, including Walthers, Revell, and Faller structures. One file is even a tortise switch machine. I even have run trains on the plan to check out the operation and the operations can keep several people busy. Operations is the best part of the program. Not sure of a grade's %. It lets you print a profile of the grade on screen or on paper. Leave it on screen, and you can also adjust various heights of points along the grade automatically. You can also do this for the entire RR if wanted. All in all, it does a heck of a lot more than just "plan a layout"

Again, the only weaknesses that I have found in the program since its been free, is the scenery file, and the lack of a 3D view.

That was my evaluation of Xtrkcad.

Resurrection!

I just downloaded XtrkCad and uninstalled it after 15 minutes. After spending that much time trying to flip an Atlas 18" curve to turn south with no luck I gave up. I admit to not having much experience with CAD software, but I'm no slouch when it comes to figuring out software ... very frustrating interface.

I just downloaded XtrkCad and uninstalled it after 15 minutes.
I doubt that many people could figure out XTrackCAD without reading at least the first few lessons of the tutorial and performing the associated exercises. For me, the tutorial was required reading! It took me about an hour to learn what I needed to be off and running with the program.

I still don't know everything XTrackCAD can do -- far from it. But that investment of an hour allowed me to design (and subsequently lay the track for) my first layout. Being able to print an accurate track plan at full size was a terrific help in constructing the layout.

- Jeff

I doubt that many people could figure out XTrackCAD without reading at least the first few lessons of the tutorial and performing the associated exercises. For me, the tutorial was required reading! It took me about an hour to learn what I needed to be off and running with the program.

I still don't know everything XTrackCAD can do -- far from it. But that investment of an hour allowed me to design (and subsequently lay the track for) my first layout. Being able to print an accurate track plan at full size was a terrific help in constructing the layout.

- Jeff

I did watch the tutorials that were under the help menu, but they didn't address (or I didn't see) working with pre-configured elements. Since I plan on using strictly off the shelf track - not laying my own save a couple of pieces of flex track - having the ability to work easily with the imbedded libraries is paramount. From a strict "I need to lay a curve/straight section here not bound by predefined manufacturer constraints" the program look extremely capable and versatile. But for me it was just not what I was looking for.

I do really like Any Rail though (downloaded free trial based on recommendations here), and while it doesn't have all the track options I would like (e.g. curved turnouts), the Atlas freeware was quite easy and useful.

Back