Lipstick On a Pig: Upgrading a Bachmann Sound-Value GP7

Sherrell / Rico / Willie / Joe / Chet / Tony - thanks for all the kind words!:)

I'm hoping this thread will help convince people that not all Bachmann products are necessarily bad - some of them have a lot of potential. I view the "non toy" Bachmann offerings of today as I did the Athearn Blue Box models of 40 years ago: An affordable alternative for somebody entering the hobby who doesn't have large amounts of disposable income.

Ken - For many years I wouldn't touch anything from Bachmann. Having had terrible luck with their locomotives in N scale and reading not so good reviews in Model Railroad magazines, I didn't have anything to do with them in HO scale either. I was more concerned about how they ran as I could detail the locomotives just like the fantastic job you did on the geep.

When they brought out their Spectrum line and I saw some favorable reviews in magazines. We have no hobby shops here for seeing them run in person. I took a chance on their doodlebug, which was my first HO scale powered unit. Liked the detail and it did, and still does run nicely, although a bit noisy. Slowly, more spectrum locomotives were introduced. Some didn't interest me at all, but when they brought out their consolidation and it got excellent reviews in magazines, I figures, what the heck, and got one. Mikes and consolidations are the main steam power on my layout. Details were decent, but it did run really well. Still have the couple I picked up and they do still run just fine. Their decapod is another really nice looking steamer, but with the two and a half percent grades on my layout, it is a wuss and it usually does yard switching or hauls 2 passenger cars whick is about it's limit on the grades.

Guess Bachmann had to get their poop in a group to compete with other manufacturers. I really like their three truck shay, and still haven't had any gear problem with mine. The one that did impress me was the little Alco switcher I picked up. I wasn't interested in DCC, but being that the little bugger was painted for the Milwaukee Road, why not. It's in the video below "Switching Churchill". The details were excellent for a plastic locomotive. Nice low speed control for switching. It did stall once momentarily in the video. I had just gotten it and wasn't aware of how clean the tracks need to be to run a DCC locomotive on DC. Ran it at the club a few times and had no problems at all with it. Don't run it much at home because after a while the sound drives me nuts.

You did a fantastic job on that locomotive and you should be proud of your work.

Sherrell / Rico / Willie / Joe / Chet / Tony - thanks for all the kind words!:)

I view the "non toy" Bachmann offerings of today as I did the Athearn Blue Box models of 40 years ago: An affordable alternative for somebody entering the hobby who doesn't have large amounts of disposable income.

I am one who is sceptical of Bachmann engines due to problems I experienced with all of the ones I had for my HO layout - that being said, my wife has a small N Scale DC 0-6-0 which gets run for about 3 weeks a year for 4 - 6 hours a day and it keeps on going with no maintenance or care. So yep, not ALL bachmanns are rubbish. I'd also agree with you that they are a cheap way for someone to have engines if they are new to the hobby and/or have limited finances.

Ken great work there!!!

It is very rewarding to upgrade a locomotive to such high standards. I really like those bachmann GP7/9s as an economical base for upgrades. I got a GP9 myself waiting to undergo similar treatment. Again great work and thanks for posting!

Thank you Yannis, great to hear from you! Hope you'll post a photo or two of your upgraded geep when you finish it.

You are more than welcome Ken. Will surely post when the project gets finished. At the moment though my hands are full since i just dismantled my old layout and started a new one :).

No problem. I really like the work you do. Although I only roster one true B&O locomotive. An old Athearn GP9. I had hoped to up do it but it fell to the wayside.

Justin

Back