Lionel HO Engine motor issues.

tombbbb

Good evening,
My Lionel engine's motor drive shaft "sllides" back and forth within the motor, causing binding on the worm gears to the drive wheel gears when it goes forward. In other words, due to this sliding, it only runs backwards without extra effort. Hopefully somemone can tell me if there is a way to stop or control lthis sliding. I really like the engine, and would like to see it go forward. I'm including photos to help identify it.
Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• lionel red 1.jpg
    lionel red 1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 30
  • lionel red 2.jpg
    lionel red 2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 31
  • lionel red 3.jpg
    lionel red 3.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 29
  • lionel red 4.jpg
    lionel red 4.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 31
I have worked very little with HO. If you have excessive play in the shaft an ideal solution is getting in the motor at the shaft and shim it.
I would think a plastic split ring could do the trick. It is just an idea.

I have worked very little with HO. If you have excessive play in the shaft an ideal solution is getting in the motor at the shaft and shim it.
I would think a plastic split ring could do the trick. It is just an idea.
I agree. I think that a bushing placed on the sloppy end of the motor shaft should fix the issue. Can't tell from the pictures which way it is shifting to jam, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the extension of the shaft for the rotory snow plow blade option that yours does not have.

Great job on finding the exploded diagram Dub!

Tom, if everything looks to be in order, I'd try putting a dab of lithium grease on the worm gears.
Good looking locomotive though. 😊

Lionel HO has been around for years. I knew I had an HO file and when I checked it there it was. The oldest engine I have has a spring drive..

Thank You very much for all the replies-I apologize for my delay in thanking you-I have been away from this for awhile. Thanks again, Tom

Reactions: Dub

Back