Lets talk schnabel cars

NYSW F45

Ok i've been fond of this odd and very cool looking piece of rolling stock. It comes in varied lengths and weights to haul the most heaviest and sometimes longest pieces of freight. I've found 1 website that makes them in HO and the prices dont seem bad for what your getting (still need trucks/wheels/grabs). But I was wondering if anyone here has one or knows of someone who has one? Would like to know how they like the kits?

Here's the companies website Concept models

I've been tempted to get one... but I think the price is too high. Sure it is a unique car, and that comes with a price attached, but from the pictures on their site, the detail level isn't worth that much for me. I'd have to see one in person before I'd spend that much money on one.

I've been checking on this subject for many moons. I think I have all of the blueprints that were ever made off the internet. I already have enough trucks to build one, but I don't think that I would buy a kit. Probably build it from scratch. I have a lot of diff. thicknesses of plastic sheets & rods & the challenge to build it would be a lot more fun. I might make a few starter mistakes, but, that's the way I would make it.
I've looked at diff. kits on diff. web sites & my way would be better. The price on a ready to run has always been out of reach. They run from $195 to $390.00 ea. & then U have to install Kadee's yourself because they all come w/foreign couplers.

Larry

Whew! Over $200 to acquire all the parts and you still have to build it? And who came up with those crummy looking truck castings? No grabs, ladders or handrails because "they don't want to be dependent on other suppliers"? You might as well scratchbuild it, it sounds like you're going to pay $200 to essentially scratchbuild one anyway. I hope this guy doesn't quit his day job.

I bit the bullet a little while ago and bought one of the last 2 overland brass models made. It was a costly car and will probably be the only brass and most expensive car in my fleet but well worth.

I was just looking thru last years walthers catalog & in the Kibri section there's about 6 schnabel cars for less than 200.00 ea. They come in kit form w/all the trucks. They call them heavy duty flats.
12 axle w/load #405-16504 $124.99
20 axle w/load #405-16500 $119.99
And there's others.
For that price you can't scratchbuild one w/all the trucks. Maybe I can w/all the stuff I have, but I may never take the time. I'm sure the Kibri price has went up a little.
If I could afford the brass one--but, I would rather spend the money on something else. LOL

larry

Here is a couple of photos of one I built about ten or so years ago....used two Athern Heavy Duty flats as the ends, a ton of sheet plastic and buckeye trucks from the Walthers hot metal cars.....

Here is a couple of photos of all of the schnabels, heavy duty flats and odd ball flat cars I have built. I sent the small blue schnabel to Ohio as a birthday gift and the small red schnabel went local as a birthday gift....I am seriously considering getting rid of the two large flat cars as they each take up a shelf in a display case.

I forgot just how bare the yard looked without any ballast, junk and debris.:rolleyes:

...and its not a schnabel but it is a biggun'.....I modelled this one after a monster GE car I saw passing through Harrisburg a few years back....

Here is a link to a great site with a bunch of schnabel and heavy duty flat info....well worth a look.

http://www.garlic.com/~tomd/

Sorry did not mean to steal the thread....

I was on that site last night for hours on end.

So the concensus is not to bother buying from this place http://www.con-sys.com/productcatalog.htm

The trucks do like crappy. I already have 3 pairs of buckeye's. And quiet a few regular trucks from constantly upgrading older cars.

If I was able to afford a Overland model i'de definitely get it, as the pics of it are incredible. But some have gone for as little as $400 to well over $1000. And since they are kind rare it makes it harder to win those auctions.

Oh and I've looked at those Kibri kits. I was about to buy one when I realized it's made in Germany and has the foreign coupling system. If they make a conversion i'de just buy one of theres.

It's not difficult to replace the European NMEA type couplers with Kadee's. I think many of the Kibri kits have draft gear boxes that will accept a Kadee directly with minor modifications. The only thing you have to do is saw the buffers off the ends of the cars. I have no idea how difficult the kit is to build but the picture sure looks better than the final results I've seen on the Concept Models web page.

Honestly, I don't see that price as half bad. I've been pricing molds from different companies, and cars like that are not likely to sell into the hundreds, thus the necessity for a higher price.

Honestly though, thanks for that link, I lost it and have been looking for it for months.

Here's a couple on "the bay" right now:
search for Item number: 170231214970 & Item number: 220246358366
I agree this is something that I'd scratch build.

UP2CSX, do you mean the Kibri stuff looks better then that concept models stuff?

Correct. The details in the pictures of the Kibri models look finer and better executed than the CM kit. As I said, I have no idea how difficult it is to assemble the Kibri kits but, at least for their structure kits, they are usually well made with good instruction.

Honestly, I don't see that price as half bad. I've been pricing molds from different companies, and cars like that are not likely to sell into the hundreds, thus the necessity for a higher price.

Josh, I guess that's my point. High cost of producing molds plus low demand for the finished product equals high prices. High prices lead to lower deamand for the finished product. Less sales means less capital to produce new molds. I think you can see where this is headed.

If you look at the work Icheymon did (nice stuff, BTW, forgot to comment on that), it looks at least as good as the CM kits and the total cost to produce was orders of magnitude less the buying the kit from CM. I haven't seen thier kits so I can't pass judgement on how well done they are or how easy (or difficult) they are to assemble. At some point, kitbashing and scratchbuilding becomes an attractive proposition.

those 2 ebay #'s for an O and N scale. Im looking at HO. As for the kibri stuff, i was checking it out last night. Prices are generally around the same. But what im concerend about is teh trucks. Will it look "european"? Thats my only concern really. I am starting to lean towards the extremely large depressed flat from CM. I already have 3 pairs of buckeye trucks, and a few regular trucks. right now its a big, hmmmmmm what should I do.

Back