Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Jerome, & Jim. They'd be more likely to use a lift spacer, similar to what you used, though it'll rarely if ever be a box like that (more likely to break). Usually it'll be a single rod/beam.

This one is upside down, for two cranes to lift one item, but it can be used the other way too.
http://www.northwestcraneservice.com/Portals/0/two%20crane%20derrick%204.JPG

Some more:
http://www.liftandaccess.com/images/article/GeneralCraneUSA-3_big.jpg
http://www.sbcmag.info/past/2004/04mar/images/12---new-device-lift3lg.jpg
http://www.audubonpark.ocps.net/Old%20Website/Pictures/DSC02965.JPG

Here's a couple of Home Groan loads I have kicking around.
The first is a computer fan sprayed with primer, sorry 'bout the fuzzy pic!
Next shot is a couple of 100' beams loaded on two flats.
Not as easy to make as one would think, there's some physics involved in the sliders when you come to a curve!
(Yeah I know, I neeed more chains und straps.)

Rico, I built one of those drop center flats today w/a computer fan on it like your pic, but I failed to do the most important thing before I built it. Didn't check my tunnel clearances or the clearance under the tower. Lacks about an inch to make it thru the tunnel. I built a complete craddle & tied it down w/chains. It really looks good. Just have to store it on a siding for looks.:confused:

Larry

Josh, you're right about the single lifting beams. I've probably seen them in use about a hundred times and I don't know why I didn't snap on that when I saw Jerome's photo. Still a pretty nice piece of work on his part.

I guess I'll have to get a larger size "I" beam for a single bar. I'm thinking the weight of just that athearn long hood would bend the "I" beam I have now. I wonder what the actual weight of a real long hood would be?????

Rico, I built one of those drop center flats today w/a computer fan on it like your pic, but I failed to do the most important thing before I built it. Didn't check my tunnel clearances or the clearance under the tower. Lacks about an inch to make it thru the tunnel. I built a complete craddle & tied it down w/chains. It really looks good. Just have to store it on a siding for looks.:confused:

Larry

Well that would be a special movement for sure! Can you reroute it, or put it in the nearest siding to transfer to a truck? I've seen some loads mounted sideways on angle for additional clearance. Got any pics??

Hey, All, I found a good source for small chain today. You can get it in silver or gold color & the links are close enough for HO.
Michaels craft store in the beads & jewelry supplies section. IN the store I went in it was the 3rd & 4th isle just right of the store when you go in. It was on a card & has 6ft. of chain.
The card has; Jewelry Essentials "Findings" fashion chain. Cost; $2.99.
The BC# is16318-11588. U can paint it w/some black paint & then rub it down just before it dries & it looks like real chain.

Larry

Rico, I think I can cut the top & bottom off the fan w/my bandsaw & make it fit. It's plastic. I'll try it tomorrow. Went looking for chain today & didn't work on the layout.

Larry

here's a two-fer. I know it's not very detailed, no tie-downs and all that, but my loads are dynamic at this point, they are off and on different cars. also... you whant me to make tie downs that are HOW SMALL!!!??? When I get my HO scale locomotives that are travelling via flat car, I'll have tie-downs and such...

DSC04667.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

In these 2 shots, a special train is carrying a locomotive that is not rail-worthy (at least in the US) to the shops for repair (in this case Americanization), while a prime mover is removed from a flat car in the background.

Interesting idea but I think the first curve might be a problem with the loco bridging two flat cars. :)

Actually the trucks might move with the cars but might creep on each turn. I wonder if he ran it that way or just set it up for the pose.

well with the truck swiveling, I figgure it would work, but it's jsut an idea since I dont have any longer flat cars...

Finished all of my loads today. Here's 4 to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's 4 more & some different views of the others, I think.

Here's some more. The flat w/the small loco is my next big tie down project.

Larry, great work, two questions.....

Do your tracks run to the back of your desktop PC? :D

Are any of the warheads intact in the seaboard hopper? Scary stuff:p

Rico, I cut 1/2" off the bottom of that fan & it fits under my tower & in my tunnel & you can't tell there's any of it missing. When I 1st mounted the transformer on the Walthers metal drop flat it smashed into my tunnel portal. There was an xtra pc. of plastic on the bottom that I didn't notice & I removed it before I tied everything down w/the chain. Now, it just clears everything w/about 1/4 inch.
I'll have some more flats w/new loads by next week.

Larry

Dave,
My PC is only about 24" deep & my layout is 38ft deep. Lot of difference. LOL
Those warheads need to be painted to give them some Pazaaz. I'll have to add that to my to-do list which is about 5 pages long & at least 8 yrs. old.

Larry

Dave,
My PC is only about 24" deep & my layout is 38ft deep. Lot of difference. LOL
Those warheads need to be painted to give them some Pazaaz. I'll have to add that to my to-do list which is about 5 pages long & at least 8 yrs. old.

Larry

I was figuring you had a PC supply train that interchanged with your PC :D

Very creative loads, it may be time to fill up some of my empty cars with your ideas..........if you don't mind:)

Larry, some really nice loads you've created. Are those auto frames in the D&RGW gondola? I can remember auto frames being transported stacked on open gondolas like that but I haven't seen any in many years. I wonder how they get transported now?

I was figuring you had a PC supply train that interchanged with your PC :D

Very creative loads, it may be time to fill up some of my empty cars with your ideas..........if you don't mind:)

Don't mind at all. That's what this topic is all about. Giving people idea's.

Larry

Back