Learning Curve

ScottoT

Hey everyone,

I am bringing home my first DCC system this weekend, as well as my first locomotive with sound.

What is the learning curve for setting up the DCC controler and getting the engine up and running?

I'm getting the Digitrax Empire Builder, and (not that it matters much I suppose) an Intermountain SD70 engine.

Basically I just want to "plug" and play, as my layout is set up on my kitchen table, for a few days.But I want to run my new toys...is this something that will take a better part of the day to get operational?

I am working on building my benchwork for a semi-permanent set up.

Thnk you in advance.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for starters, hopefully you also purchased a power supply(such as a PS514) with your Super Empire Builder Starter Set. If you haven't already, download the Instruction manual:
http://www.digitrax.com/static/apps...s/sebx/documents/SuperEmpireBuilderXtra_2.pdf
Then you can review the setup. Hook up the power supply to the DB150. Run two wires to the track from the DB150. Depending which type of track will depend on which type of terminal connection you will need.
Turn on the power to the DB150, set the correct scale, plug in your DT402 to the DB150. Place your engine on the track. Using the DT402, turn on track power(see manual for procedure), punch "loco", dial up the engine #(or 03 if not the engine #) and press enter.
And away you go.
Starting out it takes a little time to get it down, but reading the manuals first will be a big help.

Scott,

This will cause debates :)

Obviously, there is going to be a learning curve with any DCC system if you have never used it before. My way of thinking though is to buy your first system that makes that learning curve easiest and with less frustration.

My first DCC system was the Digitrax Super Chief, similar to what you bought, and it was easy to setup - basically plug and play; however, that is where the "easy" stopped. The instructions that came with it were full of "presumed prior knowledge" (like all Digitrax stuff) making them difficult to understand and follow. As such, pretty much everything beyond the initial setup was a pain in the rectum.

I persevered with the system for almost 12 months before I (literally) threw the thing out into the yard and bought myself an NCE Power Cab Starter System. The initial setup for the NCE was just as quick and easy, plug and play; however, the programming of engines was far easier AND clearer with very little "presumed prior knowledge" incorporated in their step by step instructions.

In short, there is going to be a learning curve with any DCC system that you first get; but the difference in that learning curve between Digitrax and NCE, in my opinion, is like night and day.

I should qualify my statements with this, I am not the most technically minded person on the planet so that didn't help with the Digitrax learning curve, which was more like a lot of hairpin bends rather than a curve. If you are technically minded, the Digitrax curve may not be as bad for you.

When all is said and done, Digitrax is good stuff but is more complex to use. NCE is also good stuff but, for someone who has never delved into DCC before, is easier to come to terms with.

In so far as the engine you bought, your right, that doesn't matter so long as it is has a DCC decoder installed. What you need to know about decoders is MOST come from the factory with a default setting 03 for your engine. The 03 is the "code" given to the decoder for the engine and what your controller will read. Every time you buy a new DCC engine, the decoder will set to 03. Therefore, if you have 3 engines on your layout straight out of the box your controller will read all of them as one engine so when you run 1 engine, ALL of them will run. In order to run each engine individually, you need to program (using your controller) in a new "code" for that engine (normally the cab number) and that is where things can be easy or a little complex and that is where the difference between the Digitrax and NCE systems come into play.

Your initial question, will it take you all day to run one engine with your DCC system - NO it wont. Will it take all day to run 2 or more engines individually - it could.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am bringing home my first DCC system this weekend, as well as my first locomotive with sound.

What is the learning curve for setting up the DCC controler and getting the engine up and running?
Almost none. Connect two wires to the track from the DCC control unit, Connect the power to the control unit, connect the throttle to the control unit. Turn it on and make certain there is not a short circuit. Put the loco on the track. Figure out how to call up Channel #3 on your Empire Builder throttle - do that and run the train.

From there, adding the 2nd locomotive gets a bit more complicated as the channel number will have to be changed from #3 to something else. That is what is called "programming" the decoder. How to do that will depend on the decoder in the locomotive.

As the layout grows there will be some complexity of adding maybe a throttle bus, maybe a power bus, maybe boosters for more power.

From there, one can really fall off the deep end with complexity programming decoders for speed curving, consisting, programming functions to different keys. Then there are stationary decoders for other things besides locomotives.

It works, it works!!! It took me a couple trips to the hobby store, but I've got my DCC up and running, and have all the "bells, whistles and lights" going on my one DCC/sound engine. Now, I have to get some benchwork done.

Back