Layout Progress

Wow how things change.
After a 2nd move to another house in VA I now have cut up the orginal 4x8 part and only used a protion of it, built the rest around the wall of the small 4th bed room. All this just to tear it down and move again in 3 years!
Man I cant wait to retire from the military so I never have to move again.
Here is a link to my first YOUTUBE video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MHMwiRgTmk

Hope it works.
Chad

Some new pictures. Worked on the rocks and added some hills. My son made a small bridge.

Anyone else ever wish they had a bigger layout? I need a yard with a place to park engines. I hate putting cars away then getting new ones outs, it sort of a pain and I worry about breaking stuff.
Ahh well, some day right, when the "dream layout" gets started.

Spring is just around the corner and soon the layout will go quiet until fall. I don’t get as much time as I like in the summer to work on it.

After reading this thread and reviewing your video, I think I'm going to change my construction plans a bit to complete my main level, including most scenery, before I start work adding the center incline and mountain town area. I was going to do all the track work before starting on the scenery, but I'm rethinking that. Others have told me that not adding scenery will get pretty dull after awhile and I'm beginning to see how right they may be.

I'm still working on my 12x6 N-Scale tabletop design, but it has a main level stage can be a layout all by itself. I will use 2 hidden switches to connect 2 loops to form a large oval until the other stage is done. After that, I can take them out or leave them in to get that optional run.

I also like your scenery because my line will run from Phoenix to Flagstaff (with a lot of liberties taken :)) and the main level will be desert. I too was in the military (Air Force-27 yrs), so I never finsihed a layout and eventually just put it off entirely until recently when the bug bit again. I was going to build in a spare bedroom, but I'm commandeering a dining room table instead (long story) and I think I can make the 12x6 work for me.

Dave,
I agree, by having some scenery down keeps up the intrest. I have made some mistakes along the way. Putting down scenery too soon in a certain area and such. For the most part its nothing more material wont cover.

Hey, coming along nicely!
By the way... if you can't turn left onto Union Avenue that's a hell of a right turn! :D

By the way... if you can't turn left onto Union Avenue that's a hell of a right turn! :D

Ha thats funny! Never really noticed that. :) It was all I had for a stop sign. Somebody find me a no right turn sign would ya? Better yet, the General Lee and a dirt pile.

Pssh! I grew up in Rhode Island... I can recall right hand turns like that! There's a prototype for everything!

Great thread. I like the first picture in your garage when you lived in the PNW, compared to your last photos. I too live in the PNW and I know how frustrating it is in the winter...NOTHING EVER DRIES!
My parent on the east coast ask me about the weather...I tell them, well...its November, and the sidewalk will be wet till the end of May.

Your progress, despite all of the moves you have had to make, is really impressive, great work.

Back