Layout "progress".

ScottoT

Hey everyone.

I've been on here asking numerous questions for months but despite no physical progress being made I have found a layout plan that will work in my space and I've made up my mind about the benchwork style I will be using. I'm going with a modified version of the Pelle Soeborg Daneville and Donner sub from the Model Railroader Track plans book. mrr-e1106_daneville-_-donner1.jpg

I'll be using open grid benchwork underneath and modifying the layout eliminating the fascia and backdrop between the two sides of the peninsula to use larger radius curves for my Auto Rack and 60' box cars. I'm also going to have to shorten the layout by 2'. I COULD go with the 19' by 12' design but it would probably work better if I shorten the length by that two feet, since my basement is only 26' long and I still need room for shelving units and a work bench near the layout, as well as the basement fridge to keep me hydrated.

Tomorrow I start moving all the stuff that is in the way from the area in the basement and soon will be assembling the benchwork. Now that assembly progress will be starting, I'm sure that I will need to as plenty more questions, but the beginning to this dream is taking place.

The Basement is 27 ' long by 16 ' wide. Of that I am going to be taking up 20' of the length and a little almost 12' of the width with the above layout. IMG_7941.jpgIMG_7942.jpgIMG_7943.jpgIMG_7944.jpg

This is what the room looks like now.

I'm still talking with a buddy about needing to attach foam insulation to the painted cinder block walls. That may happen it may not. regardless before I finalize placement of my benchwork that decision will be made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,
Congratulations on making the decision to begin construction. It appears that you will have time invested preparing the space. Take your time and be sure to take care of the details as you begin. A little extra time in making the train room a pleasant space to spend time goes a long way!

Keep us updated!
Scott

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk

Scott,
Congratulations on making the decision to begin construction. It appears that you will have time invested preparing the space. Take your time and be sure to take care of the details as you begin. A little extra time in making the train room a pleasant space to spend time goes a long way!

Keep us updated!
Scott

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been watching a TON of YouTube videos regarding benchwork and of course purchased the Kalmbach Basic Model Railroad Benchwork book to help me along. Went to the local Lowe's and Home Depot to look at some wood 1 x 2, 2 x 2 and other things to whet my appetite. Tomorrow I take the 5 x 8 top down and move the cabinets its sitting on. and put away for the last time.. the Bachman EZ track. Of course this means no train therapy for a while, but making progress on the benchwork will be boring and probably tedious as well as stressful. But, gives me the desire to get my track laid.

Good luck on the build. Wish the track plan was a bit larger. You have a good space to work with. Keep posting progress photos.

I found that construction was never boring, go at it with a positive outlook and enjoy it while you do it!

Where did you find the track plan? It looks like something from Model Railroader. Does it have a name, where is it located and will it blow up in size at that location?

I found that construction was never boring, go at it with a positive outlook and enjoy it while you do it!

Where did you find the track plan? It looks like something from Model Railroader. Does it have a name, where is it located and will it blow up in size at that location?

Mark,
You are correct it is from Model Railroader. http://mrr.trains.com/how-to/track-plan-database/2007/08/ups-daneville-and-donner-river-subdivisions

I only say 'boring and tedious" because while I am excited about doing the work on it, I'm also very new at building a layout. It's going to be a process, and the anticipation of having built it myself is exciting, as I said previously, no "train therapy" either. And just being honest I've never done woodworking let alone the electrical and wiring part, so there's a degree of stress that I will screw it up.

Keeping an eye on the big picture though will push me through the build.

Noticed the remark about foam insulation on the basement walls. I understand that one should never over insulate basement walls in cold climates because some heat loss is wanted to keep the back fill along the basement walls somewhat thawed during winter. If the back fill isn't all gravel, when it freezes the back fill could expand and place pressure against your block basement walls and could cause damage.

My basement is partially expose and where exposed I used 3 inch fiberglass. Other areas that are not exposed, I used 1 inch foam panels for insulation.

My 2 cents worth.

Greg

Ok..............and as we begin to move things out of the way in the basement, I forgot the cardinal rule. "Look up" - even in a basement.

The widest part of the layout plan is going to be directly underneath 1) an inconvenience spot - the sole outside water spigot source that needs to be turned off in fall and on in spring. and 2) the drain and water supply to our kitchen sink. If repairs or leaking were to start, I would have major problems to deal with, either in a ruined layout or one that might need to be torn apart for repairs overhead.

So now I'm moving the layout that was supposed to be against the wall out away from that area to become another peninsula type. Which could have its advantages. But also will lead to shortening the layout once again by at least another 12-18". So the layout design that was 22' based on the original design, that was already shortened to 20' might have to go to a max of 19'. Doable but shortens my mainline a decent margin.

Scott,
With the shortened overall length of the railroad, you may want to double-check the grades, as the mainline is already at 2.5 to 2.6%. I don't mean to be negative, but the steeper grades may be a problem and cause you to modify the design to fit your space.
Good luck!
Scott

Scott,
With the shortened overall length of the railroad, you may want to double-check the grades, as the mainline is already at 2.5 to 2.6%. I don't mean to be negative, but the steeper grades may be a problem and cause you to modify the design to fit your space.
Good luck!
Scott

That was something that I was worrying about and will have to plan accordingly, thank you for pointing it out to me, Scott.

******* Breaking News ******

News just in regarding a major ownership change in Mid-Michigan.

Current Mid-Michigan radio personality Scott Thomas has acquired a small Michigan railway company. Thomas was able to make the purchase due to TWO very improbable financial occurrences.

Thomas recently inherited a very substantial sum of money from a distant relative from out of state, "who knew I was such a major part of my 5th cousins recently deceased Grandfather's Life" said Thomas, and within a short time span later, he also became winner of a "google lottery" sum of 500,975,000 million euros which is surprising in itself due to the fraudulent nature of most internet winnings commonly referred to as scams.

Instead of purchasing a group of radio stations, Thomas said "I thought about investing and purchasing in my current profession of the radio business, but I've always had a fondness and appreciation for the railway industry. This way I can still have my "fun" job of being on air, and still be involved heavily in the railways".

The current railway operations have been suspended upon determining that numerous track and geographical flaws were found. Said Thomas, "we are basically going to have to be starting from scratch. We will be investing in new railway operations properties, as well as a complete rebuild of rail operations; putting in new roadbed and track for the current properties, and are also planning on a major expansion".

The current railway and some of its operating flaws can be seen in the accompanying photo.

IMG_7997.jpg

"We are going to be making ourselves into a major player in the rail industry sector, especially after acquiring the needed properties for our planned expansion. We see ourselves becoming a major player in Mid-Michigan, and with all due respect towards our CN and CSX neighbors, we plan on cutting into the market in a big way".

"Thomas Rail Industries will become a large factor in creating jobs and in boosting the economy." said the new CEO.

***** Breaking News*****

Michigan radio personality Scott Thomas has formed a new railway company to be titled "Thomas Rail Industries". After acquiring not only land and rail operations, the new company announced it will be taking over the fleet of 41 rail cars and 3 locomotives, with a 4th rumored to be in the works.

Thomas Rail Industries will be "mothballing" the current fleet of rolling stock and locomotives for an indefinite time period while current properties are upgraded and expanded upon. The current fleet can be pictured below.

IMG_7988.jpgIMG_7991.jpg

Layout area cleaned up.

I've completed cleaning out and creating space for my layout now. Going to put some basement sealing type paint on the outside walls, then add foam insulation and 2x2 frame for them on the wall and 2x4 brackets on the ceiling under the floor joists and at the floor.
IMG_8047.jpgIMG_8046.jpgIMG_8048.jpg

The metal shelving units on the end wall will be moved to the other part of the basement but due to the piping I won't have layout that far down, but that area will be work space, so basically this side of the basement will be my play area. for trains.

Back