Layout "progress".

Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One bite at a time.

You'll be fine. There are very few things in this hobby that can be screwed up so badly they can't be fixed. Just take your time. You're in a marathon, not a sprint race. ;)

Thanks buddy. I know, but this is my first one, and trust me when I say I'll likely find all the mistakes at least once. :D

Well, here we are, a few more days in and look what I've got done. The wall for behind the benchwork is mostly complete, save for a few screws to go in on some of the
4 x 8's . I'll have to paint in some clouds and sky before I start building the frame and put that in place. But with this part 90+ percent, I can start working on the framework.

IMG_8220.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8218.JPG
    IMG_8218.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 160
While trying to figure out how high I want the legs of my layout to be today, I put a piece of plywood on some foam on some saw horses in the basement. Figured I will be going 31" to be a good enough height. Gotta have it low enough for my 9-year old to reach a good portion of the track. But I also took the time to very sketchy-like see if a 3' section will be deep enough for me to put my yard in place along the back wall.

IMG_8233.jpg

This picture is at 34.5" from train track to floor. It's going to be about 2.5" shorter, and I will need to figure out how to conceal both sets of outlets. While not interfering with my track and risers. The mainline closest to the wall will be about 3" off the top of the benchwork.

Have you considered using curved switches? They allow you to lengthen passing tracks, etc without much additional room required. Thought of that when I saw your yard on the last page. I've used various one for years, and they've made things much more enjoyable, so I can run longer trains, or fit more into sidings. Sometimes things like loco pilots have clearance problems, or did in the past, when the switch machine was right next to the track, but less so any more. Good luck!

Scott -
I've kept up with your progress, and as a rookie myself don't know that I have much great advice to give. Most of these other guys on the forum are experienced pro modelers and have lots of great ideas to share. One thing I did on my layout (still have to take some updated photos to share) was to get one "loop" done quickly so I could at least run a train around it while I continued working on benchwork and track for the longer "loop." Even so, it took seven months to get the benchwork done and the track spiked down for that first loop. But now I can put consists together and run the train around a couple of variations of that inside loop even while I work on landscaping, town-building, and of course the rest of the benchwork and track for the longer mainline. It gives me a sense of accomplishment (as well as the fun of running the train) while I keep working.

I'll post some more up-to-date photos as soon as I can. Happy railroading!

Raincoat,

That's good advice. Most of us want to see trains run, not simply build static models, or dioramas. I'm currently struggling to 'get a loop running' on my Philly and Scranton layout, and its been over 5 years that I've been working on it. Always interested in another thread with layout photos!

Otis/Carl

Raincoat,

That's good advice. Most of us want to see trains run, not simply build static models, or dioramas. I'm currently struggling to 'get a loop running' on my Philly and Scranton layout, and its been over 5 years that I've been working on it. Always interested in another thread with layout photos!

Otis/Carl

Otis/Carl - I've been taking photos of the build as it progresses, but I need to stop and take a photo or two of the whole thing, not just to post on the forum but for record-keeping. I'll try to get one posted this week. In the meantime, keep at it - I agree 100% with Flyboy who said earlier "You're in a marathon, not a sprint." I also agree with the idea that you can't screw most things up so bad that they can't be fixed - I did some sloppy work here and there on the track, but it'll be covered by ballast. I also did some dumb things on the layout, but I can cover them with landscaping. For example, I really messed up my first attempt at a bridge crossing - had to rework the landscaping and retaining walls and do some more painting to cover it up and make it look acceptable - but lesson learned - - my second bridge is coming out better. In the words of the immortal Red Green: "We're pulling for ya. We're all in this together!" Have fun!!

Otis/Carl (?)
Here's a photo of our layout as it currently stands. The freight yard is at the far end to the right. You can see the beginnings of a town along the left wall. In between the freight yard and the town will be a couple of industries (dairy distributor, coal, lumber yard). At the front of the photo is the beginning of a mountainous area with a lake and river already cut out. The "inside loop" is already complete and I run trains on it now. The "outside loop" can be seen on the front left climbing the hills and will go across the front of the photo and onto the brand new benchwork you can see around that first post and heading toward the back post. That's the part I still have to build. That section will also be hilly with a logging camp and probably a quarry or coal mine or some other industry along the way, and there will be a VERY small town by that far post. Cramming a lot into a relatively small space, but I think that makes it challenging as well as fun. The total area is about 20X15. The outside loop, when it's finished, will be about 110 linear feet of track.

Build Progress 7-7-17.jpg

Anyway, keep at it. This hobby is so much fun. Along the way I'm learning a lot about train history, how trainyards work, and so forth. The guys on this forum site are really knowledgeable and offer tons of ideas.

Have fun!

Looking good Johnny. I assume that you have been able to get some trains running. Keep the photos coming.

Hey guys, holy cow it's been over a month since I did anything on building my benchwork or finishing the "wall". Real life just happened to get in the way. I had my son's HS graduation and then open house, and had some other family related issues, as well as my own lack of motivation. I'm hoping to get back down to the basement this week and get work done.

As far as the outlets go, I would just paint the covers and outlets to blend into the background as well as possible. Some things you just have to live with.

Scott -
I've kept up with your progress, and as a rookie myself don't know that I have much great advice to give. Most of these other guys on the forum are experienced pro modelers and have lots of great ideas to share. One thing I did on my layout (still have to take some updated photos to share) was to get one "loop" done quickly so I could at least run a train around it while I continued working on benchwork and track for the longer "loop." Even so, it took seven months to get the benchwork done and the track spiked down for that first loop. But now I can put consists together and run the train around a couple of variations of that inside loop even while I work on landscaping, town-building, and of course the rest of the benchwork and track for the longer mainline. It gives me a sense of accomplishment (as well as the fun of running the train) while I keep working.

I'll post some more up-to-date photos as soon as I can. Happy railroading!

I welcome advice even if it is from someone that is new to the game. For we all have things that we can bring with us due to life experiences that can help us as we build and create our own train worlds. So thank you for taking the time to follow my progress, and for sharing ideas and such, Johnny.

One of the things I am learning as my layout begins to take shape is patience.

Despite not having benchwork constructed or having track in place, or heck even my background finished, I am SO VERY ready to see trains in action, even though that is months away. I know if I rush through assembling my benchwork, and speed through laying track I will make mistakes and just end up costing me, at a minimum, time, and likely materials as well. Is this something that everyone goes through?

Hey guys, holy cow it's been over a month since I did anything on building my benchwork or finishing the "wall". Real life just happened to get in the way. I had my son's HS graduation and then open house, and had some other family related issues, as well as my own lack of motivation. I'm hoping to get back down to the basement this week and get work done.

Congrats on your son's graduation. Yes, life can get in the way of building your layout but that's a good thing. Not everyone has a life.

And, consider this, if there were deadlines, it wouldn't be a hobby. Don't let stress get in the way. If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.

I know just how you feel. Years ago I ripped out my N scale layout which had over 11 scale miles of main line track mainly due to the poor quality of the locomotives that were available at the time. I was able to use some of the bench work from the N scale layout but was hand laying my track in HO scale which at times was painfully slow, but you do have an extremely good point about not rushing things. Taking your time to lay track smoothly without having any problems is so important.

Having a plan is also extremely important. I never drew out a track plan, but I knew what kind of a layout I wanted. I knew that I wanted to model the transition era, growing up when steam was still running and I also liked the first generation diesels. I knew that I wanted to have a switching layout because I really didn't have the room to run long trains (although I can do that it I want).

Progress was slow. had 8 feet of track down and using alligator clips I ran a locomotive and a few cars over that section of track just to see a train run. The 8 feet grew into 16 feet and then 25 feet and on and on. I did choose to freelance and chose the area right where I live as I knew what industries were in the area, or what could have existed if a railroad were there to serve the industries. I took my time to run trains through all of the turnouts to the industries making sure that the track work was smooth and that there wouldn't be any derailment problems.

I had the structures, or at least the footprint of a building and set them out on the layout and ran track to the industries trying to make them look somewhat realistic as to how they would appear in a town. I did screw up in one town ending up with cattle loading pens set right behind a diner. Not a good idea. Had to tear out some tracks and move the stock pens out of town so people eating would not have to smell the cow poop.

In the last year, after over 30 years of building on the layout, my last town, yard and engine servicing facility was finally in place. Now it's time to enjoy operating the layout, just as it was designed. Can't count how many times I have gone down to the train room to work on a project and just ended up running trains.

Yes, it did take a long time for me to get where I am, but I have other hobbies and I also don't have any hobby shops where I live. There was a period of probably 8 to 10 years where nothing was done to the layout because it was close to impossible to get what I needed to move forward with the layout. Internet retailers saved my butt and now I I ca pay attention to adding details and updating older parts of the layout.

You are doing the right thing by taking your time.

Chet - that's a great review of your history of layout-building. First time I've heard it. And great advice. Happy railroading!

I know just how you feel. Years ago I ripped out my N scale layout which had over 11 scale miles of main line track mainly due to the poor quality of the locomotives that were available at the time. I was able to use some of the bench work from the N scale layout but was hand laying my track in HO scale which at times was painfully slow, but you do have an extremely good point about not rushing things. Taking your time to lay track smoothly without having any problems is so important.

Having a plan is also extremely important. I never drew out a track plan, but I knew what kind of a layout I wanted. I knew that I wanted to model the transition era, growing up when steam was still running and I also liked the first generation diesels. I knew that I wanted to have a switching layout because I really didn't have the room to run long trains (although I can do that it I want).

Progress was slow. had 8 feet of track down and using alligator clips I ran a locomotive and a few cars over that section of track just to see a train run. The 8 feet grew into 16 feet and then 25 feet and on and on. I did choose to freelance and chose the area right where I live as I knew what industries were in the area, or what could have existed if a railroad were there to serve the industries. I took my time to run trains through all of the turnouts to the industries making sure that the track work was smooth and that there wouldn't be any derailment problems.

I had the structures, or at least the footprint of a building and set them out on the layout and ran track to the industries trying to make them look somewhat realistic as to how they would appear in a town. I did screw up in one town ending up with cattle loading pens set right behind a diner. Not a good idea. Had to tear out some tracks and move the stock pens out of town so people eating would not have to smell the cow poop.

In the last year, after over 30 years of building on the layout, my last town, yard and engine servicing facility was finally in place. Now it's time to enjoy operating the layout, just as it was designed. Can't count how many times I have gone down to the train room to work on a project and just ended up running trains.

Yes, it did take a long time for me to get where I am, but I have other hobbies and I also don't have any hobby shops where I live. There was a period of probably 8 to 10 years where nothing was done to the layout because it was close to impossible to get what I needed to move forward with the layout. Internet retailers saved my butt and now I I ca pay attention to adding details and updating older parts of the layout.

You are doing the right thing by taking your time.

I totally agree with what Johnny said. Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It gives me hope that I won't be making monstrous mistakes.

IMG-8542.JPG

The sky for my backdrop is done now, and the weather forecast calls for increasing clouds over the next few days, that will interrupt our clear skies that we have now, but there is zero chance of rain, just bright white partly cloudy skies.

Back