layout modeling

we dicided ours will be more or less generic for the most part, kinda modified design but gonna try to see about a loop of some sort, we just want to run both diesels and steamers and semi long trains...if possible :)

I am freelancing my own railroad, connecting with both the Milwaukee Road and Northern Pacific in southwestern Montana in the later summer of 1957. I like both the NP and Milwaukee Road, but in my limited space, modeling even a small subdivision would be difficult. Modeling this way allows me to also model both of the major roads, plus my own. Also, nit pickers will have less nits to pick.

I was undecided when this post was started but have made good progress acquiring the needed equipment for a DCC controlled Burlington Route in N scale set about 1960-1965, give or take a year, in Illinois.

Canadian National.

Going to start a new maritime branch line layout that will depict two eras, but of course not at once - a challenge I'm looking forward to. This way I'll be able to run both of my collections - trains and vehicles of 1956 and 1974.

Thinking about the NS's rathole division (KY thru TN) with some run thru pool power from KCS, SP, CNW, CSX, BNSF, and even UP:eek:.
I now have an open bedroom that been waiting on for a few years, so it adds and extra 11' w x 14' l to my existing 8' w x 12' l area, just have to go thru the wall lol.
I ahve enough modern rolling stock, such as 4 unit container trains, 3 unit covered hoppers, 4 unit coal trains, 1 unit autorack train, 1 mech reefer unit train, and enough boxcars, flats, coil cars, airslides, centerbeams, and misc cars to make up abut 3 mixed freight trains.
Have only recently started building structures for this. I took 2 of the walthers grain silo kits and merged them together into one nice one. Theres a local plant that I would like to build, but would take some serious compression for it. Tom's foods, corp office and main plant here, has a 7 wide, 3 deep silo structure with headhouse, and the surrounding plant, warehouse and shipping dept. If modelled after proto, with no compression, it would have a footprint of about 4' w x 8' l. So need to cut it down to about 4 silo wide by 2 silo deep with maybe a 8" x 10" plant, 4" by 6" shipping (trucks), and 6" by 10" warehouse. Theres a ex-csx, ex-sal, yard behind it, now served by GA South Western rr, with a gp20 that they leave there until needed. It serves the Toms, 2 different scrap yards, Dolly Madison bakery, and an abandonded warehouse.
So I kinda have an idea of what I'm doing, just can't decide how to do trackplan to fit in this into the "rathole" and its surrounding area.
LOL:cool:

I'm going to start modeling Cajon Pass in the late 80's - early 90's. I'm going to see how I will design it, though.

My RR is a proto-freelance. Its set in Central Al, and pretty much follows the real NS, out of my hometown. You can read about it, and see some of my work by clicking on the "Alabama Central Homepage" link in my sig.

Nice looking plan. You seem to be very ambitious. Keep the photos coming. Looking forward t see the progress.

what railroad is everyone modeling?
I am planning on modeling the Pueblo & Arkansas River Valley railroad brought forward into 1957 or so. The main feature will be the hanging bridge of the Royal Gorge.

Why do you ask?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back