Layout Design Help!?!

james6733

Hey everyone, I'm new here and coming back to the hobby. I am working on a layout idea for a 10x10 area in the basement, HO scale. . No clearance issues (doors, etc.). Below is my first preliminary sketch, it still needs some tweaking and adjusting. The aisles are 2' and the depth of each section is 2' as well. I am looking for feedback as well as any ideas on creating a 2nd deck below for a decent sized staging yard. I have tried a number of ways to get track level down 12" or so and cannot come up with anything that doesn't seem to require a 4% grade or helix which I cannot beg/steal space for.
Thanks for taking a look, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Layout Idea 1.JPG

I can tell you 24" is going to be too narrow for your walking areas. 30" would be a lot better, but if you want to split the difference, you could probably get away with 27"--IF you will be the only one there.

Reactions: PMW
Other than one of the kids, it would likely just be me. I am also not committed to the E shape either. Thus far its what I've managed to come up with. I've not found a design that I am overly enamored with.

It depends on your girth, or butt size if that helps. Most older male adults would be happy with about 28", give or take a coupla inches. Even so, you'll often back into the other side. I would advise using screws here and there into studs to keep the whole from budging. When you back into the other side, the whole thing will shake and knock over rolling stock if you don't firm it up into the studs. Use cleats if you must.

That lower left shaded curve is very tight. If you were to angle the turnout above it on the diagram to our left about 6 deg. and then make a wider curve to the lower turnout, you would probably increase your radius by at least two inches, which might matter in the future.

Your staging, if you really want/need it, would be at top center where that track appears to terminate. At the last turnout, you commence a descent of about 3-3.5%. By the time the train gets to the apparent stub end, it will have descended approximately three inches, maybe more (I haven 't calculated it, but I'm close...). It would continue its descent through a tunnel portal for another six-8 feet and then level into a yard with a throat and several ladders, each with a well-built backstop at the ends. You would also wire the staging separately using a two way switch to keep locomotives from sitting there using power but doing nothing. You want staging to be silent and unpowered until you want to place a consist or bring one up to level ground.

If the math doesn't work as I've described, commence the descent halfway along the left side with another turnout. That would buy you about 6-8" by the time it disappears at the top center. All of this means you'll have at least bi-level trackage on the surface, but it's doable, and should be fun. More terrain and chances for imagination and scenery interest.

You can get away with less height difference, too. It would be tight, but 9" would suffice. You only need to be able to reach in safely and retrieve or to rerail something, or to flick a set of points.

Other than one of the kids, it would likely just be me. I am also not committed to the E shape either. Thus far its what I've managed to come up with. I've not found a design that I am overly enamored with.
Have you considered an around the room? I know given your space it wouldn't actually be "around the room". Mine is a 12'x 12' with a 3' peninsula (aisles are 3' wide). The aisle width doesn't just matter for operating comfort, you'll also need to get in there to work on it.

It's a duck under which some won't do but you can try to make a track plan which would allow a space for a lift out or a swing bridge.

I prefer around-the-room because I'm always looking at scenery behind the tracks. I paint a backdrop, then build the benchwork to suit the track plan, anchor it to the wall studs, and then build the right-of-way on risers. It affords me what I like, and that is to watch trains run around me. However, the design you have posted is very nice with lots of potential.

It depends on your girth, or butt size if that helps. Most older male adults would be happy with about 28", give or take a coupla inches. Even so, you'll often back into the other side. I would advise using screws here and there into studs to keep the whole from budging. When you back into the other side, the whole thing will shake and knock over rolling stock if you don't firm it up into the studs. Use cleats if you must.

That lower left shaded curve is very tight. If you were to angle the turnout above it on the diagram to our left about 6 deg. and then make a wider curve to the lower turnout, you would probably increase your radius by at least two inches, which might matter in the future.

Your staging, if you really want/need it, would be at top center where that track appears to terminate. At the last turnout, you commence a descent of about 3-3.5%. By the time the train gets to the apparent stub end, it will have descended approximately three inches, maybe more (I haven 't calculated it, but I'm close...). It would continue its descent through a tunnel portal for another six-8 feet and then level into a yard with a throat and several ladders, each with a well-built backstop at the ends. You would also wire the staging separately using a two way switch to keep locomotives from sitting there using power but doing nothing. You want staging to be silent and unpowered until you want to place a consist or bring one up to level ground.

If the math doesn't work as I've described, commence the descent halfway along the left side with another turnout. That would buy you about 6-8" by the time it disappears at the top center. All of this means you'll have at least bi-level trackage on the surface, but it's doable, and should be fun. More terrain and chances for imagination and scenery interest.

You can get away with less height difference, too. It would be tight, but 9" would suffice. You only need to be able to reach in safely and retrieve or to rerail something, or to flick a set of points.
Wow, lots of great information here.

Good catch on the lower left turnout, I think that can easily get corrected, with a little stub of track.

As far as staging, it would fall into the nice to have category, instead of the need column. A club layout in a city I used to live in had a great club and a great old layout, and I really liked the idea of Their staging yard, and having non-drawer storage. I have done some testing in Anyrail, and if I start the decent just after the loop (top right) the entire run along the top and left side gets me down 8" with enough room to have a yard under the lower leg of the E, but it has to run at a 4% grade. From the reading I've been doing the past couple days 4% seems to be in the no-go zone.

As I stated in a previous reply, I'm not by any means married to this plan either, and open alternative ideas.

Again, thanks for the great in-depth reply!

Have you considered an around the room? I know given your space it wouldn't actually be "around the room". Mine is a 12'x 12' with a 3' peninsula (aisles are 3' wide). The aisle width doesn't just matter for operating comfort, you'll also need to get in there to work on it.

It's a duck under which some won't do but you can try to make a track plan which would allow a space for a lift out or a swing bridge.
I have kind of considered it, yes, my biggest drawback to it is the duck under. I have 2 Littles ones, the older one is very much at an age where they don't play attention to their surroundings, and can easily see her going right into it.

My first thought was a 2x8 or 2x10, then just kind of decided that the space could just as easily accommodate a 10x10 as a 2x10. If nothing just to be able to run some switching, which is what I would prefer to just running in circles.

Edit:add more context.

I prefer around-the-room because I'm always looking at scenery behind the tracks. I paint a backdrop, then build the benchwork to suit the track plan, anchor it to the wall studs, and then build the right-of-way on risers. It affords me what I like, and that is to watch trains run around me. However, the design you have posted is very nice with lots of potential.
I think the around the room idea is plausible for my space, just hadn't given it much consideration to this point for whatever reason. My enjoyment comes from building and then once done switching, as you likely gathered from the design. I will see what I come up with concept wise for some around the room ideas as well.

Thanks for the reply.

I am very much an operations guy too. I also wanted continuous running so I ended up with two small staging locations (north and south) outside of an oval and a modest yard inside the oval. A few industries near the yard and two off the mainline is working for me :D

Back