Larry's MRR Empire Vol.#5

I remember where I was. My BIL's office at the Pentagon was hit. He was not there he was breifing the Joint Chiefs. He ended up leading the 1st rescue team in. Was a very long day for us.

We will never forget.

We all know layouts are never finished and alterations, especially to long-standing ones like yours, are part of the hobby. Hopefully everything is okay with you and you're just pulling a Tony Koester when he dismantled his old Allegheny Midland to build the new layout and not getting out of the hobby. Like happened to W. Allen McClelland when he dismantled his old V&O, started to build a new one in his new home and then because of a move to a house with no basement he is apparently without a layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean buddy, been fighting two injuries (and WCB) since 1986!
You can be sure that the next layout I'm planning will be back bone friendly!
And let's face it... you'll still do a small switching layout or something... right?

I know what you mean buddy, been fighting two injuries (and WCB) since 1986!
You can be sure that the next layout I'm planning will be back bone friendly!
And let's face it... you'll still do a small switching layout or something... right?

No Rico, All the train stuff is going out the door. I made up my mind that when it was sold I would never have an interest in MRR again. I've spent way to much money the past 10 yrs. & now I need to recuperate what I've spent.
Starting tomorrow I'm going thru all of the boxes of stuff that I have in shelves like structure materials, wheels, couplers, axles, trucks, motors, motor parts, LED's, LED sockets, Crossing lights, lamps, Wire & tons of other stuff. That's just the items I have stored in my train workshop. Then there's structures in the original boxes. I will take pictures of everything & post them here on the forum. When all of these items are sold I will move onto the next items like Track, switches, undertrack magnets, rerailers, etc. I have to sell everything in groups or else I will get highly confused. I have to do everything myself, no help. the largest item I have to take care of is taking up all the track & removing all of the buildings.:eek::eek::eek:

Larry, Sorry to hear you are giving it up. I always looked forward to your posts. I know time requires we move on and you've made a hard but I guess proper decision for yourself. Best of luck with your health and with what ever else you decide to concentrate on next. I see from previous endeavors you will give it your all.

Larry, I'm shocked and surprised to hear of your decision. I hope that everything works out well for you and I hope that you stay active here as you have lots of good advice and ideas to offer and share. Take care.

Larry, I'm shocked and surprised to hear of your decision. I hope that everything works out well for you and I hope that you stay active here as you have lots of good advice and ideas to offer and share. Take care.
I too am shocked at this news. It was only very recently Larry had 5 new engines added to his roster after some major work (powering, painting, etc.). I'm thinking there's more going on than Larry is letting on here; either way none of us want to see him get out of the hobby totally. Was hoping this was just a Tony Koester dismantling the old AM and building anew.

Larry larry larry.... what are we going to do without you??

This is a bummer for all of us!
Its very sad to hear you throw in the towel... im speechless on your decision.

You have helped many modelers through the years including me. I know health is more important then any hobby :(

I hope you still visit this forum and continue to comment and help others.

You have soooo much model train related stuff its going to take you awhile to sell it all.
Hope your in no rush?

So even a small switching layout is out of the question? You can design one to minimize bending over or stretching...
I just cannot simply see you turn your head and walk away from a hobby you've loved.

It feels like you have a ultimatum larry.

When I start taking all of the tables apart I am going to try to save the big valleys & bridges in one piece, also the lake by the WM Dist. center. Then I will put them up for sale as a seperate item. The only problem is I can't ship them, you would have to come & pick them up. I'll post those pictures when I remove them from the layout, hopefully before the middle of next year.:)
I also will have over 50 structures For Sale Soon. Some of those are tooo big to ship too unless you own your own trucking company & offer free pickups & delivery.:D:rolleyes:

Larry larry larry.... what are we going to do without you??

This is a bummer for all of us!
Its very sad to hear you throw in the towel... im speechless on your decision.

You have helped many modelers through the years including me. I know health is more important then any hobby :(

I hope you still visit this forum and continue to comment and help others.

You have soooo much model train related stuff its going to take you awhile to sell it all.
Hope your in no rush?

So even a small switching layout is out of the question? You can design one to minimize bending over or stretching...
I just cannot simply see you turn your head and walk away from a hobby you've loved.

It feels like you have a ultimatum larry.
I've seen in the model railroad press layouts that were designed so they could be worked on sitting down. One was on a flip-top table hinged on the short sides 4x8 I think it was. Took a little bit of carpentry work but nothing that would require a Norm Abrams to accomplish. And if you go N scale 4x8 would give a really decent setup. Heck, even a shelf layout could be done in any scale. Switching layouts can be and are fun. Build it at the right height and everything can be done sitting.

Joed like you say - health is one thing but I think there's a some kind of ultimatum going on. We're not trying to pry, but just want to help a fellow hobbyist out because we're concerned.

absolutely jackn2mpu...

I dont like ultimatums... its b/s nobody should have to pick this or that!!!

Larry is like family to us all so really we all are just concerned and unsure why such a drastic change is occurring to such a good man!

Its crazy that you cannot keep a small amount of your pride and joy. Really? All of if it, gone? It makes me want to throw up just thinking about the situation.....

It is larrys business and not ours so i will leave it at that.

Sorry larry. I feel your pain.

I had Back surgery 2 yrs. ago & all the pain went away until about 3 weeks ago. I was laying under the layout on my Chariot & the old back went out. Stayed in bed for about 3 days & now I'm back on pain-pills every morning. My legs have really been giving me a fit everyday & my feet are even worse. The past 5 years I've spent way to much money because I hate to pass up a good deal, plus I go to train shows & have the same problem. Everything is my fault. No one else. My bank acct. is low & now I've got to start doing something to make money, which I was doing before I started messing w/trains. My other Hobby was doing real good for the bank acct. until the bottom fell out of the economy. Now, I'm starting to get a lot of calls for metal art. 4 years ago I sold all of my welding equipment. Mig welder, torches, chop saw, HD steel workbench, large bench vise, anvil, large drill press & tons of other stuff. When I sell all of this train stuff I'll have to use that money to buy some more equipment. As I sell my Art(specialize in Dragons) I will have more money to invest in a Plasma Cutter & other stuff.:D

The best thing I ever did for my back pain was buy an inversion table (and use it) and get a thermapedic mattress (and sleep on it).

No back pain since.

Thanks for the explanation but I hate to break it to you - I doubt you'll get a whole heck of a lot of money out of selling what you have. At least not enough to buy the equipment you're looking at unless you buy used. Pennies on the dollar selling your old stuff, if that. IIRC you have a quantity of brass track - you'll get nothing for that. The rest of the track, if you pull it up gently you may get something. Oh yeah - to pull up track that's been glued down, if you used the old mixed white glue and water deal is to just liberally soak it until the track comes up. Been there, done that. Doesn't matter how long it's been down. Don't know about getting it up if you used some caulking material. Some of that is waterproof. I doubt Atlas code 100 (which is what it looks like you have) is that big a need anymore.

Sadly most railroaders when they go to dismantle layouts, unless it was built to do that from the start, end up putting most of that in the scrap bin. W. Allen McClelland was one of the lucky ones when the old V&O was torn down. One section went to a museum, the rest in the scrap heap.

Your best bet is to get what you can from the rolling stock and motive power. That will be your biggest money maker assuming everything's in good shape and has Kadee couplers or equivalent.

There's one possibility that might save you some grief - get hold of somebody that deals in estates and liquidations.

Back