Kato unitrack and DCC

Improvable

From what I saw in this video, Unitrack is very easy to install. You simply attach a rail connector with a wire soldered in, and then plug it into the power pack, assuming of course, you're using Kato's DC transformer. But then, say I use a third party transformer for DCC, like Bachmann's EZ Command. The video shows how you need to cut off the side that connects to the Kato transformer, but since I don't like to cut wires, would there be an extension cable or some kind of wire converter out there?

From what I saw in this video, Unitrack is very easy to install. You simply attach a rail connector with a wire soldered in, and then plug it into the power pack, assuming of course, you're using Kato's DC transformer. But then, say I use a third party transformer for DCC, like Bachmann's EZ Command. The video shows how you need to cut off the side that connects to the Kato transformer, but since I don't like to cut wires, would there be an extension cable or some kind of wire converter out there?
Just leave the original cable intact, and unused. Solder your own wires to the track.

I remember Kato offering a simple pair of wires, with Unitrak joiners on one end, and open spade connectors on the other. Replace a pair of standard joiners with the electrical ones, and connect your power supply to them.

DON'T try soldering to Unitrack. I sense that very undesirable results will occur.

Do get some of the "terminal unijoiners" -- part number 24-818.

You can just clip off the plastic connector at the other end, separate the blue and white wire, strip them, and attach to your dcc power supply. I would use a soldering iron to "tin the leads" first, but not required.

If the wire on the terminal Unijoiner isn't long enough to reach your power source, you can get the Kato part number 24-825 to extend it. Clip the end off of THAT ONE.

utube making your own rail connectors . im probably the worst soldering person you ever saw , at 80 not to steady anymore . take a piece of wood and saw a slot to hold connector and solder track feed wire to it . the other thing i found out when i ordered wire the outside diameter was too large to fit the kato rail connector when reassembling , so i ended up having to reordering wire . this also gives you ability to make your rail wire long enough where you dont have to buy extra things . if you dont have a budget you can order parts as j albert suggested .
mike

I picked up an extension cable and just cut the connector off.
That leaves the original cable intact if I ever want to revert back.
Easy peasy and only four bucks.

Back