Is this a bad color for this kit?

hotwinger

HO Switchman
I wanted to use floquil depot buff, but I don't have an airbrush. I don't really want to wait to get an airbrush to paint this kit so I went with spray painting 3 coats of a medium greyish color on it.
Is this realistically accurate for a flour mill? does it look ok?
3464876117_4251334149.jpg

add some weathering and it will look fine. IMO right now it looks to new with a solid color on the whole building. The grey is fine but its just to clean for me...A little weathering can fix that easy...

Is this a concrete structure? If so, yes, it looks fine. Now cover it with a wash of white and a weeeeeeee bit of yellow. Mix a 1 tsp of white paint (no more!) with about half a drop of yellow in it and, maybe a single drop of "tan". Once thoroughly mixed with about 1/2 cup of water, use a large brush and run that vertically up and down the cement walls. Keep spreading any one brush dip until it looks like you are getting a concrete colour.

If this structure is meant to be constructed by other materials, then you may want to show as much. For example, the panels between the frame members....what are they meant to look like based on their material? Are the main beams concrete?

Then, you can go over parts of the model with some black light washes and put some weathering streaks on it.

I like the shade of gray you used. A bit of weathering and you've got it.

IT LOOKS MARVELOUS :) You don't always need an airbrush.

Since the building is supposed to be of concrete construction (noting that concrete does vary significantly in color depending on various factors), the addition of a thin wash of Depot Buff might be in order...followed by some weathering. Incidentally, I used Depot Buff for my modified version of this same Walthers structure, although in the image the color is more pronounced than when one sees it in person.

JacksB05a.jpg

Another possibility is a thin wash of white to ligthen the grey a bit, plus a hint of dark/sooty weathering in all the corners, as I did for the A&P warehouse shone below.

JulyIntChg06.jpg

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:
I added some weathering to it and finished the windows. I think it turned out so so. I need to add the ladders and I'm finished
3468822498_0aa65caa06.jpg

Now compared to the before, that looks great.

I also love the difference between the "clean" hopper and the weathered one.

Thanks Dan!

I just got the clean hopper so It hasn't had any weathering. but I am going to keep it at a more cleaner look.

Mike, the second photo looks just about right to me. I think I might try a wash or two of diluted india ink to highlight the details but it's certainly more than good enough for passing the three foot test.

Back