Is Model Railroading getting out of hand with things

Well, I just spent a couple of hundred this afternoon on a small 12 volt power supply that has nothing to do with my model railroad! :( Without it, however, I might have to walk instead of ride! Supposed to be good for three years or more. It's called an automobile battery. (SUV) The old battery was more than 3 years old, and the sub-zero weather we've had for the past week finally finished the critter. Oh, well...

Well, I just spent a couple of hundred this afternoon on a small 12 volt power supply that has nothing to do with my model railroad!

[sarcasm]
You could have bought that car battery for a lot less in 1965! It's the end of automobiles, I tell you, the end! See, the manufacturers are killing transportation! Why aren't there batteries made anymore where you add your own electrolytes and water? That was real motoring! Not like today!
[/sarcasm]

I'm ten years older than you, JimT, but I am in the same boat with you as far as the hobby goes.
My monthly income is eight times what it was fifty years ago, but my disposal income is considerable less ...
The difference being the percentage of taxes paid on everything has sky rocketed.

[sarcasm]
You could have bought that car battery for a lot less in 1965! It's the end of automobiles, I tell you, the end! See, the manufacturers are killing transportation! Why aren't there batteries made anymore where you add your own electrolytes and water? That was real motoring! Not like today!
[/sarcasm]

I reject your notation of sarcasm! This is not sarcasm. You are absolutely correct! As a matter of fact, I made just that comment about the type of batteries to which you could add electrolite...as the tech was changing the battery! Not only that, but the instrument on the dashboard which has a symbol for the battery and an H and an L on the dial, with the needle firmly in the middle of the dial, showed not the slightest motion nor indication the battery was going belly up...until the needles died. What's up with that? One minute you have a functioning battery, and the next, nada! BTW, in 1965, I could have bought the whole vehicle (well, at least a full-size station wagon...before they stopped making them) for about 15% of what this beast cost me...in 2003!

Oh, well, I really didn't need that model diesel locomotive anyway! :p

Another problem facing our hobby as far as youngsters are concerned: Many of us grew up riding passenger trains, whether a commuter local or a high-class streamliner. For long distances, certainly, there was little fun in driving long distances; airplanes were generally too expensive, and the train was the way folks travelled. You don't have that so much anymore, even though Amtrac is there. Many youngsters see huge diesel consists pulling unit coal or grain trains, and IMHO, such beasts are pretty boring, and difficult to replicate unless you have a large layout, or belong to a modular club. About the best our generation can hope for is to show the kids what it was like when we were young, and hope some of the interest is generated.

I'm 31 and have never been on a train until this year at the RR museum. I started MRR because of the possibilities of what could be done with DCC and computer control, sound, etc. as well as just seeing others' layouts and what was possible with enough time and effort. This is what is lucrative to the younger generation, the better the tech and information stream(through the web) gets, the easier it will be for people who have never stepped on a train (or maybe don't even have access other than amtrak) to begin modeling IMO.

I'm 62 years old, on a very limited income ($800.00 a month) although I own my home, and I have decided to re-enter the hobby. I've been gone since the late 1980's. Some things have been shockers. $799.99 plastic locomotives for one, 499.99 plastic desmiles for another. I accepted it though. I had 200 pieces of brass, most painted (by me) all boxed when the divorce auditors took it to auction in 1998, lots of money, broken heart again for me. Most of the rest, plastic loco's (there were some diesels and rolling stock, plastic except for cabeese (I modeled U.P.) and misc. Coming back into the hobby made me look at pricing.

I also looked in my storage and found 21 various size boxes filled with Paint, landscape materials, brass pieces, wood, styrene, and a little bit of rolling stock including a box of "junk loco's" Tyco steam, an old Bachmann 0-6-0, and a couple of AHM switchers. A couple of RS-2 kitbashed diesels too. (I loved Alco Diesels, no high quality plastic ones were manufactured) I kept finding more goodies for a few weeks (I'm a little disabled) It now looks like my biggest expense will be lumber and track. I've even had fun and purchased a Bachmann 44t (undec) and 70t (undec) for new stuff. Much of my insperation comes from the thread here: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...ing-the-Pinacle-Creek-Mining-amp-Timber-Co-RR . He hasn't spent a lot of money there.

If I was thirty with virtually unlimited financial assets I might be excited by the "big stuff" but I'm rounding the bend and want a more relaxed atmosphere and lifestyle. Watching a 44t pull a short string of cars tickles me to death. I don't have to worry about the "$800.00 steamers" anymore. They probably wouldn't like my 24 in radius mainline anyway. Not to mention the ugly overhang bouncing off the landscape. Nope Tichy coal hoppers, a few log flats, and a smattering of off road freight in a 1940's layout tickles me pink.

I'll share too, with my church, my neighborhood, and all my friends online. Benchwork going up soon, it probably won't be the Pinnacle Creek but it will be fun.

Outstanding!!! I would like to nominate you for model railroader of the year!!! I don't even know if there is such a thing, but if they gave me a vote you would have mine! I doubt I would qualify to vote.

The whole point of this hobby is to enjoy the time you spend with it, not how much money you spend!!!

No matter what your budget is you can enjoy this hobby.

Genset

The same people they sell them to now: older folks who are established in their lives. Young people haven't been the important demographic in this hobby since slot cars appeared in the 1960s.

There are plenty of relatively inexpensive kits on the market, Accurail et al. Personally, I found Blue Box to be junk, but there are still tens of thousands for sale on eBay and elsewhere if you want to do final assembly on a mediocre kit. It is not modeling.

Amazed how many old fogies judge the world by the yardsticks of 30 or 40 years ago. I'm old, but I recognize that things change. And why does everyone quote list prices for the current day and street prices for the past?

Once you consider inflation, the hobby is not really more expensive than in the past (if at all) and hobby electronics (such as DCC) especially have become amazingly affordable compared to the equivalent technology in the 1970-1990 period.

Same old tired "Too Expensive" threads over and over again. Maybe you should take up whittlin' if the hobby is too rich for your blood.

My point was about newcomers, not me. I can afford the new stuff, I also have over 100 Accurail kits. Most of us won't be around 30 years from now. Look around at train shows.
old fogie
willie

^^^ :D :D :D :D ^^^

I was just thinking the same thing.

I somewhat agree with you though GenSet. Yes, there is a lot of crying and complaining going on here. That is what this forum is for. It's just chit chat. Something to kill time in an otherwise boring day. So you come in here to and complain about people complaining? Now that's funny. And futile. People are going to talk about what matters to them. Yeah, this thread has come up on every forum on the internet about every subject you can think of. But it is always a popular subject because it affects EVERYONE. So people talk about it. 'Tis the way things are.

I sit here and model while browsing the forum. So this thread for me was just a way to kill time waiting for paint to dry. I enjoy reading into the members' a bit more in threads such as this. It gives one a little more insight into "why" these guys model the way they do. And I really enjoy that. I like the fact that today (versus 20 years ago) the internet has brought people in this hobby closer together. We can all discuss and share our views of this great hobby, both good and bad, with people all over the planet. All the while sharing a little bit of info about ourselves as a person, that we unknowingly put out there for the other members to see.

I haven't read all of the comments posted so if I am repeating any, I apologise.

I fully agree that the cost of this hobby is getting out of hand and becoming excessive to the point of not being affordable for many, especially new people trying to start out in the hobby.

While it is true that, over the years, prices of everything has increased along with wages. It is also true that disposal income (that money remaining after tax) has decreased. Essentially, the gap between the rise in the cost of an item and what we have to spend on that item has increased as well.

Manufacturers will continue to raise the price of their product while there is a demand for it. Once that demand decreases or stops, theoretically, the cost of the item should reduce to increase sales. or to simply maintain sales.

My main complaint with anything cost related is the "value for money" principle. The cost of things has increased but the quality has decreased. Companies find shortcuts, use cheaper materials fail in their quality control process. Compare the net profits of companies (generally) today from ten years ago and then look at the increase in the price of that companies product. Bottom line, the consumer is less for their dollar while companies are getting more.

It is getting to the point where fewer and fewer people are involving themselves with Model Railroading. The older model railroaders are (regrettably but honestly) moving on (so to speak). Eventually we will see the full circle, and perhaps, the cost this hobby may level out or even drop. Should that happen, I am just as certain that the quality of the product will follow and so will begin another thread.

Cheers

Wow, Stoker, still smarting from that injection of truth I gave you a while back, huh? You need to move on, Dude.

It is disappointing that people have knee-jerk criticism for me without addressing any of the points I raised.

Well, I would just love (not) to read more about Irv Athearn spinning in his grave and all, but I need to do some work on my modules. We're going to another train show soon to help introduce some new people (young and old) to the hobby. The rest of you can sit around and bemoan its demise while I do something to build it up.

My point was about newcomers, not me. I can afford the new stuff, I also have over 100 Accurail kits. Most of us won't be around 30 years from now. Look around at train shows.

30 years from now we will be replaced by a fresh set of old fogies. Same as it ever was. I work train shows with my modular club all the time, friend. What I see is encouraging.

But please, feel free to wallow in the gloom-and-doom.

That Genset sure is a friendly guy. I can definitely see how he would have people flocking to the hobby. Keep up the good work!

That Genset sure is a friendly guy. I can definitely see how he would have people flocking to the hobby. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I will do just that, working at and enjoying the hobby (rather than just whining about it in forums). I have lots of friends. And none of them like Stoker :p

I may be broke with a miniscule monthly MRR budget however I can feel my blood pressure go down when I even think about my soon to be railroad! It's already an answer to my prayers.

Geeez guys, you don't see whats happening here? The OP Milwdt created an account, made only this one post, and now left the building.

Trolls I tell ya, and everybody bit like fish on hooks.

Thanks! I will do just that, working at and enjoying the hobby (rather than just whining about it in forums). I have lots of friends. And none of them like Stoker :p

I don't know who this Stoker is, but he sounds like a bad, bad man. And the fact that you have to tell us how many friends you have doesn't in any way make that seem...well. I'm sure you're very well liked, pooky.

You are definitely right about forums being for whiners, though. And since I KNOW you're not one of those at all, you should probably stay away from them. We'll all miss you terribly, but it's just not fair to force ourselves upon you merely to have the benefit of your superior intelligence and wisdom. So goodbye, thanks for everything, and best of luck in the future.

Geeez guys, you don't see whats happening here? The OP Milwdt created an account, made only this one post, and now left the building.

Trolls I tell ya, and everybody bit like fish on hooks.

Either a Troll or somebody who just looked at the crazy and decided it just wasn't worth it.

This is every forum. I have yet to see one that doesn't have their "debate" threads where members end up bashing on one another until a moderator deletes the thread. I just think it's all so funny when people get riled up over chilly sit. I thing Gen just wants people to stop talking about stuff that obviously interests him so he doesn't have to waste time in the threads debating the topics he is supposedly not interested in. I myself find THAT interesting enough to want to lurk over in a corner and chuckle.

This is every forum. I have yet to see one that doesn't have their "debate" threads where members end up bashing on one another until a moderator deletes the thread. I just think it's all so funny when people get riled up over chilly sit. I thing Gen just wants people to stop talking about stuff that obviously interests him so he doesn't have to waste time in the threads debating the topics he is supposedly not interested in. I myself find THAT interesting enough to want to lurk over in a corner and chuckle.

I know, it's freakin' hilarious, isn't it? Not that I'm an innocent angel after the Big Boy fiasco by any means, but I'm still going "wow" on this guy. That probably actually illuminates some character flaw on my part, when I come to think of it. Irony is decliciously ironic.

Back