Intermountain's new SD40-2s

Got a question to those who run IM loco's in HO scale. How do they run and pull? Are they a quality product as I have never owned one before.

UPDATE:

I checked Intermountain's announcements page. They're still on track for Aug/Sept delivery.

The NS and CSX renderings now show Flexicoil trucks under the models. MEC 602 is now MEC 604 (since MEC 602 is an SD40 carbody and not an SD40-2)

So, it looks like Intermountain did their homework, and these will be amazing models!

They're comparable to Atlas. Not too heavy, not too light, smooth running, and has very good details.
Reading this reminded me a couple weeks ago I noticed my N scale atlas BNSF SD70MAC would not pull the 35 car train around the entirely level layout with eleven inch curves.....just spins all twelve wheels......but a much smaller intermountain ontario northlands FP7 is heavier and pulls the train no problem.

Mike

It really depends on the model. A cowl unit such as an FP7 has more room under the hood for the weight. The SD70MAC has a walkway so there's less room to add weight.

It also has to do with the way that the weight is designed to accommodate the various electronic components on board.

csx sd40-3

Do you think these can be modified to fit a sd40-3 cab if I could make one 1? I would like to get a pair of the csx units and make them into sd40-3's.

I have one of the ES44-Ac in Southern Railway. It looks great, pulls good and sounds good as well. It isnt near as loud as a BLI and had to adjust the volume on the BLI's so the IM could be heard. Motor and gearbox noise is comparable with the newer Atlas models. I'll be a repeat customer...just waiting on the Southern SD-40s!
Dave

I'm quite happy with my IM FP7A and F7B in Raymond Loewy North Coast Ltd. What I'd really love is if they would produce E7A/B in Burlington Route passenger paint scheme...that would negotiate 18"R curves. Walthers modeled these, but I'm less than impressed with their axle sets on the Walthers E8/9. Their E6's were pretty good...so far. I kitbashed one into a Burlington E5A.

I have one of the ES44-Ac in Southern Railway. It looks great, pulls good and sounds good as well. It isnt near as loud as a BLI and had to adjust the volume on the BLI's so the IM could be heard. Motor and gearbox noise is comparable with the newer Atlas models. I'll be a repeat customer...just waiting on the Southern SD-40s!
Dave

Dave,

Stinks to have to put an additional $12 into a $200+ locomotive, but if you drop a Railmaster Hobbies DSM-8 into the ES44, it really makes a huge difference in the sound. I have two with them and two without and its like night and day.

Brad

Back