Intermountain's new SD40-2s

diburning

AlcoHaulic
Oh look what we have here...

RF0112HOSD40-2.jpg

:D I'm possibly in for 7! (4 NS, 3 Pan Am... I don't know why they chose to do MEC 602. MEC 602 is in an SD40 carbody, not an SD40-2)

And if you haven't noticed.... The price isn't prohibitively expensive either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is though.... With Intermountain halving their dealer discount, you might not get it for any less than MSRP.

I'm also surprised that they didn't do Conrail. Athearn's Conrail SD40-2s sell out at every run. Conrail SD40-2s have a hell of a high demand.

They did say that theyre going to do a new run of SD40-2s every 3-4 months varying the variant and roadname for the next 3 years. So maybe theyre just varying the popularity of the roadnames so they dont get a huge run on demand. Aka dont have all the very popular roadnames all in one run and many of the more obscure ones in another.

Wow. Those are awesome I've had a couple of N scale Intermountain locos and they're Great. I think I'll get one of these Tsunami equipped locos to patch up as BNSF. Now just have to decide BN or ATSF.

The thing is though.... With Intermountain halving their dealer discount, you might not get it for any less than MSRP.

I'm also surprised that they didn't do Conrail. Athearn's Conrail SD40-2s sell out at every run. Conrail SD40-2s have a hell of a high demand.

Who told you that bunch of BS as I am a dealer with IM and the discount is still the same.

I will probably get a CSX one w sound and maybe a Conrail one when they offer it. I really like the ES44ACs and all the other IM products for that matter Ive ever had or seen.

Just got the email from them a couple days ago with these, the SD40-2's look pretty cool! I will have to get myself at least a couple of the CSX and UP ones, possibly a GATX too lol

And as Mark said... Who told you that they were halving their dealer prices? I have heard no such thing from my IM Rep...

Can someone with experience comment on the running quality's of Intermountain's diesels? How are the gearboxes. Basically I'm asking for a comparison to say the Athearn RTR line or the Genesis line.
Thank you in advance
Seann

It was a rumor on the Atlas forum. Someone said that Intermountain was halving the dealer discount.

I wouldnt believe anything you here as a rumor on any forum without credible backed up sources. I have seen a lot of rumors started on Atlas and all of them ended up being false because some guy at the club overheard a guy at the hobby shop saying this or that and everyone thinks its true. I usually go right to the source of the rumor and Email the manufacturer to get facts straight and most of the time you get a reply.

Can someone with experience comment on the running quality's of Intermountain's diesels? How are the gearboxes. Basically I'm asking for a comparison to say the Athearn RTR line or the Genesis line.
Thank you in advance
Seann

A Second on very similar to Atlas. Im very impressed with the ES44ACs and basically everything Ive ever bought from IM (wheelsets, freight cars, locos).

I've emailed Intermountain about the SD40-2s. I pointed out that MEC 602 is an SD40 carbody, and that the CSX and NS should ride on flexicoil trucks.

I received a very prompt response (less than 24 hours) saying that they ARE aware of the issues that I pointed out and that the design team are working to fix both of them.

Seeing how Intermountain went to the trouble of adding teardrop windshields, rear ditch lights, and marker lights to their CN GEVO, as well as the correct ditch light, front, and rear headlight positions, I am very confident that they will get them correct on the final model.

I've emailed Intermountain about the SD40-2s. I pointed out that MEC 602 is an SD40 carbody, and that the CSX and NS should ride on flexicoil trucks.

I received a very prompt response (less than 24 hours) saying that they ARE aware of the issues that I pointed out and that the design team are working to fix both of them.

Seeing how Intermountain went to the trouble of adding teardrop windshields, rear ditch lights, and marker lights to their CN GEVO, as well as the correct ditch light, front, and rear headlight positions, I am very confident that they will get them correct on the final model.

Cool, good to know. Thanks for contacting them.

Back