Interesting: Athearn Genesis GP7, GP9

I second Rico's motion, we need BN units, espcaly GP10's that BN chop nosed, Horst air intake box, prime stratolite beacon ect. I would order road numbers 1410 and 1416 right now if announced.

I picked up a pair of these from my LHS yesterday. Very nice! I missed the P2K Geeps so I can't compare them, but the detail is excellent. I haven't gone over them with a micrometer, and over on the Espee Yahoo list the gurus are all complaining over this and that minor detail. Door grooves too large, dimensional errors, etc. and so on. Well, I'm not a GP-7/9 expert, or a detailing guru either, but they look pretty good to me. I have yet to see a perfect model in plastic or brass, so I'm happy with them. In this case, it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...well OK it doesn't quack. My units are not sound equipped...YET :D. I'll add my own Tsunami's later, after my wallet recovers a little from the dent the models put in it ;)

I wasn't very interested in these the first time around but now I am looking forward to the Paducah built units.

Got the shell off, removed the rear weight (will have to for decoder sound or not) did some rewiring of the rear Gyralight, plugged in a decoder and buttoned her up. All without breaking anything BTW:)

Then, programmed. Programming took but she would not run. Decoder was DOA :mad:. First time ever with a Digitrax (DH-163D) or any decoder. Back to the LHS for a replacement, and a second try. Still managed not to break anything! Runs well. Looks good! The SP model is not a Passenger Geep as shown on the test shots, it's a regular freight unit, but that's OK. it's what I wanted anyway. Can't wait to put sound in them!

I think I'm going to try and make the red lamps light up on my Geeps. Should be an interesting project.

I think I'm going to try and make the red lamps light up on my Geeps. Should be an interesting project.

I've done it on a SD40T-2, you are right it looks good, but I used a red bulb and it shows through the plastic, maybe try fiber optic or LED.

Chuck

If the bulb bleeds light into parts that you don't want it to, wrap the sides of the bulb in heat shrink tubing. (or color it with a black permanent marker)

I did this once, and that was enough ;). Nice for a wow factor when showing off at open houses and so forth, but the prototype was only used as an emergency light. This was before the days of surface mount LEDs and such things. I also lit the class lights. There were so many bulbs in that shell I got close to the 500 ma capability of the decoder (Digitrax DH-163). All those bulb wires were a PITA too! There are no contacts on the board for that one so you'll have to add a resistor and hard wire it to the decoder. Good Luck!

The SP ordered lights and held them up with locomotives!:D

Back