Installing Roundhouse, Turntable, and Industry

It's been a while since I've posted to the forum (about a year) but one fun filled deployment to Afghanistan and a few months back to HO Scale modeling I've finally built enough stuff to bring it all together on the new edition to my tables.
I've been planning a large turntable and roundhouse to service my steam engines. I fell in love with the Faller roundhouse (out of production but it pops up for sale occasionally). I built the kit twice for a total of 6 stalls.
edy6y6yz.jpg

Next, I built a few small Faller and walthers kits which tied me up for a month or so until I was happy with my details, paint, and weathering (I use acrylic, pigments/chalks, and clear coat). I have a small tower, factory building, and a gravel company so far.
nadury3e.jpg

5u8u4ubu.jpg

e8ydumy8.jpg

Next, I saved up my money and decided to use the larger 130' turntable. I made this decision mostly because my N&W Y6b wouldn't work on a 90' table. I went with the walthers DCC turntable so I could program it and adjust stops as needed. It was pretty easy to install with the plans sheet and some garage engineering. Here's pics of the basic install.
ge4a7uny.jpg

ysy6a6yp.jpg

3y8yjera.jpg

qunapyqe.jpg

I added a drain spout into a ditch with a sectional bridge and plan to add a small road for the gravel company. Pic below shows install of bridge and laying track base for the roundhouse.
2u4e9aha.jpg

It's pretty close to finished but wiring each track and lighting has taken some hours. Once wired I will start to add scenery!
5a2aquby.jpg

e3a9evus.jpg

8ubuvuze.jpg

be7e3une.jpg

he5yneza.jpg

za6y2u8u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job, especially on the painting. Thanks also for telling us what you use, that helps us novice painters and detailers a lot.

Cheers,

wombat457

Those are some nice looking structures. The weathering really makes them "pop."

And by the way: Thanks for your service!

- Jeff

Update: I've finished laying my track and programming the stops of my turntable. I've laid the road base and did a little touch up. Next comes ballast and scenery with lots of gravel for the gravel company. I'm considering adding a coaling tower near the entrance/ exit mainline. Anyone have any good examples of what structure to use for that?
za5y2e3y.jpg

nepududy.jpg

uda5yqeg.jpg

ama4y3ag.jpg

That is looking very good. I love the bridge. Is that a Rix Products?

For the coaling tower I have a Gloor Craft I am getting ready to build. I started a thread in the Structures forum. It looks pretty complex. But it is a Craftsman kit. And all Gloor Craft kits look sweet IMO. Anyway, keep posting pics. And thanks for protecting this country and those on the other side of the planet as well!

I think it's a BLMA bridge. You can get that one as is or you can get the extension pack with it, which is like one road segment and one more pier (or something like that).

Look great. I can relate to being away from the hobby while in the service. Six years in the Navy with no room on a destroyer for a layout. Thanks for your service too.

Well it's a good looking bridge. I wish the local hobby shops had that kind of stuff in stock in N scale. But if they did I would be broke all the time.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

I'd look at the Walthers wooden coaling tower. Fairly simple to build, and would look correct on the approach tracks to the Roundhouse. Next you'll need a sanding station, and a water tower.

God, I'm real good spending other peoples money!!!!:p

Well It's been a couple weeks and I haven't really done too much just some scenery and finished the ballasting. My single lane access road to the gravel company turned out decent but I'm not happy with the color (any critiques?) I used joint wallboard compound with acrylic then painted again darker, I use an unorthodox method to make my grade crossings ( smooth over with cement base, dry, then carefully use my dremel tool with cut off wheel to make rail grooves). I'm working on a chain link fence to go by the cliff edge and need more power lines...So far the project is going well and finished my trestle bridge bents design board (ensures uniformity and allows for store bought basswood instead of kits)
7e9u4uvy.jpg

hutuveha.jpg

y2y2y9e9.jpg
re8ysa3e.jpg
syquty2e.jpg
4ajema5y.jpg
y5apy4aq.jpg
tanynu9a.jpg
8a6eme5y.jpg
ugypuzyb.jpg

I'd like to see your track layout as this is very similar to what I would like to do with my layout. Biggest difference is a coal mine instead of a stone company. Been scratching my head and dragging my feet on it. Biggest problem I have is pretty much stuck with a 4x8 layout. I could probably expand it slightly but not much.

I just finished a coal mine but trying to add an elevated track trestle has been difficult....unfortunately I did not have a track plan as I started with a basic 4x8 and expanded freelance.

bu2ugaze.jpg
e5ypa5an.jpg

That is probably going to be my route. If I come up with anything for you I'll send you what I got. Which coal mine kit did you use?

This one was the new river mining company from walthers....I have a smaller mine (black Bart mine shaft) it is tiny but a fun kit to build

Update: it's been a while since I've posted...my new table has come along way....I've spent most of my time working on a huge trestle bridge (May have been in over my head after taking the path I headed down). I got the coal mine finished and some scenery done.

esy6a8ud.jpg

3a3eva5y.jpg

ujyne3e8.jpg

aqahubaq.jpg

a5y5uvad.jpg

pumupada.jpg

atupeqa7.jpg

Back